So let it begin. I'm Jason from Austin TX. Just bought a 79 CJ7 to rebuild. I owned a CJ7 way back in high school and always wanted another to rebuild. I also owned a Cherokee that I loved and modified for a long time. I'm a tinkerer kind of guy that has other strange hobbies like building combat robots for shows like "Battlebots" so I have a welder / metal lathe / ect.
I have read many other build reports on here and though they are a great source of know-how. So thought I would document this so I could get help along the way. I build thread is a good way to make sure I keep momentum. Like telling everyone you know your going to quit smoking.
What I'm Starting with:
- 79 CJ7 bought for $400
- Dana 30 front Axle
- AMC 20 rear axle
- Does not have any drivetrain
- Frame is in good shape...as far as I can tell
- Tub has some wounds but overall am happy with it's condition
- wiring is toast
- Used to have a 350 in it according to P.O.
- Missing seats / one fendor / from clip
- Get it done in 2.5 years
- Frame off restoration (I'm a little OCD so will take my time and do it right)
- No budget but am looking to but the best parts (within reason) even if it slows progress to save for them
- Track every penny I spend and keep a running tab in the thread with prices
- Not buy any parts before I need them (no body parts until the frame is done ect)
- Engine should have 350HP (Have not decided on 360 / 350 /351W depends what falls in my lap)
- Possibly a MSU "Spartan" Theme.. hence the thread title
- 80% fun second car / 20% Offroad
- Ability to run 35" Tires (but will run 33")
- Try to do as much myself as possible but have others do what I know I can't do well (like final tub prep / paint / engine rebuild) ect.
Here are some pics of what I'm starting with.