Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there FSJ peeps. Nearly 2 years ago I purchased a 1973 Jeep J4600 Custom cab to bring back from the dead. The overall plan is to get it running and driving as it did new, then work on body and paint. Once completed, I'll begrudgingly hand the keys over to my wife so she has a cool farm Jeep of her own. I've spent all of my time on the CJ forum bringing a 1976 CJ5 back to life so while I'm new on the FSJ forum, I'm not new to the site.

Here's a little about the truck. 1973 J4600 custom cab with a 3602bbl and BW1305 Quadratrac. I was able to verify the odometers actual mileage of 88,XXX miles as there are a few bills of sale through the years dating back to the early 80's that track the mileage accordingly.
There is some rust through the drivers floorboard, but the majority of the body looks good with only a few minor dents and no rust. The Jeep came with 2 extra TH400 transmissions and 3 extra BW1339 transfer cases, as well as many boxes of random additional parts such as accessory drive belt brackets, alternators, brake drums, axle shafts, and really you name it. I paid $1500 for the entire lot.

All the chrome on the truck is on it and in great shape. The interior is another matter, though salvageable. The seat is so broken down, the drivers spot has a hole through the springs to the floor.

The truck has likely not ran since 1989, let alone driven. Why it was parked, I dont know, but because of the paper trail that came with the truck I was able to contact a few previous owners to verify it's history and about when the last person actually turned the key and started it. Before I purchased it, I was able to get it to fire with a little fuel in the carb and it instantly came alive. I think this truck has just passed hands of people wanting to get it back on the road but never got to it.

Last week, my buddy and I set off to see if we could get it to run. The fuel tank is obviously rusty so I made a temporary tank to run it off of, replaced the fuel pump and it ran like a dream. It does have an exhaust leak, but easy fix. We tried to make it drive but it refused to go into gear. We rolled it out of the barn to somewhere a little more level and found the trans fluid was extremely low. After adding about 6 quarts, it went right into gear and moved under its own power.

There's obviously many things to go through like sticking brakes, checking compression, rebuilding the carburetor, and the list goes on, but I now have an idea of where to begin. I'll be posting updates as time goes on, though I'm in no hurry to have it completed. I look forward to sharing my progress with you and any help you offer in the future.

Here's the video of it moving under its own for the first time in a long time.

Mr B

Attachments

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Looks good

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been on the hunt for a bench seat for this thing for quite some time now with no real luck. The seat that's in it has an *** sized hole on the drivers side, including through the springs. Whoever put the miles on that seat must have done the Buns Of Steel workout 5 times a day every day. Or the Cinnamon Buns of Steal pork out.

It's not the correct seat that came with it, PO swapped it with the one it currently has because the original was in better shape. I'm at a crossroads of just paying to have this seat redone or holding out and looking for one that folds forward. I don't really want bucket seats in it, nor does my wife. But the seat is fairly crucial to moving forward as it's undriveable beyond turning it around on the farm since you have to sit on plywood to keep yourself from falling into the gluteal abyss.

Conversion doesn't seem that viable because of the dimensions. It seems like even if you do find a seat that fits right in the cab, there's still a bunch of modifications to the mounting that has to be done, which isn't my cup of tea.

Anyone have any hot leads on this kind of stuff around Oregon? I've found them on a rare occasion in PA or some far away land, but they refuse to ship. And I'm sure the shipping costs would probably scare me off anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.