Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

1970 CJ5 Transmission Rebuild

2500 Views 12 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  jeepdaddy2000
I've got a 1970 (manufactured October 1969) with a 3-speed Tramission. 1st & 2nd Gears have broken teeth and need to be replaced.

The engine is the Dauntless 225 Buick 6 cylinder.

Numbers on the Tranny are "300596-45" and "947360".

It has a ten spline shaft.

4 bolt mount.

I need help identifying what parts I need to purchase to rebuild the current tranny or where I can buy a replacement one??

910-358-4131
[email protected]
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Don't poke the bear
14,314 Posts

· Don't poke the bear
14,314 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
My '67 came with the 225 V6 and a T-86 3 speed. That is the adapter you're measuring that adapts the trans to the Buick bellhousing.
With a few easy mods, a GM truck 4 speed (SM420 or SM465) will mate up to your bellhousing and you can get an adapter from AA or Novak to bolt up the transfer case. This in turn will require new driveshafts, trans mount and floorpan mods as well, but you'll have a bulletproof trans with a granny gear.
That's what I did when my T-86 went boom.

· Registered
11,031 Posts
10 Splined output shaft indicates a T14, which would be correct for the year. You can confirm this by removing the lid and looking at the first gear. If it has a sliding gear, it is a T86 or a T90. If it is fully syncromeshed, it is a T14. These are a fairly weak transmission and somewhat expensive to find or rebuild. While I dislike recommending a tranny swap, there are a couple of transmissions out there that are a better choice. The issue with that is the amount of time and money involved.

· Registered
11,031 Posts
Did anybody else notice that it's a 20 case, not an 18??
Definitely not original.
I did, however, I don't think you can get the T15 or later transmissions with the extended front bearing retainer or to bolt up to the stock adapter. This would indicate an early transmission.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.