Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I might try this here. I'm in Northern Arizona and I'm looking @ - long distance look - @ a 1968 Jeep J3800. Has Buick 350 engine w T400 trans single rear wheel - supposed to be all stock?????. Supposed to have Dana 44 front axle, a Dana 70 rear axle and a Dana 20 transfer case. Single rear wheel,15" wheels, 1 Ton rating. It looks in good shape from the photos. It's a flat bed but the flat bed looks home made but well made. I can't find much on a search for spec's for a "J 3800" except a couple with dualies. I see lots of J 10,20, 30, 2000, 3000 and even a J 3600 but not much on a J 3800 except it seems to be a proper designation. What is the difference between a 3600 and a 3800???? Guy is asking $14000 which seems high even with current values being out the roof. I had a Gladiator in the early 70's and am in the throe's of wishing I still had that old truck. It was a Tornado 230, 3 speed 4x4. I still like those old Original Gladiators.

I'm looking for some info- any thing on those old trucks with the "Odd" J3600/J3800 ???? set ups. Possibly a forum specifically on the Original Gladiators.

Anything appreciated

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It depended on the wheelbase and GVWR as well as thw model year.

the J3800 was a 1 ton 8600 GVW with a 126" wheelbase, and the J3600 is a 1/2 ton 6000 GVW with a 126" wheelbase.

Hoss
Thanks interesting - perplexing though since the J30,300.3000 were 1 tons or so I thought. This truck doesn't have dualies which the Wicki says it should if it is a 3800. No photo's showing the rear end from the side so I can't say they are just running singles on a dual rear end. He may just not have the right info on what the truck has. Answered a few things though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not all one ton J trucks were dually, AFAIK.

Hoss
Thanks. The guy who has this rig last words were - Let me sleep on it. No more contact - guess he is still sleeping so this one has gone away. Still looking them over It is a toss up on the trucks or the Wagons of the day - I found a 63 wagon in decent shape but it is just too far away to deal with. I'm a firm beliver is the right deal pops up if the time is right - if not now then someday.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts