Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1963 Willys CJ5 instrument gauge cluster needs restoration. One out of state shop said might cost $800-$1,200 and take 6-8 months to complete because they are backlogged, as it appears any good shop is right now.
Questions:
1. Should I spend the money to restore?
2. Anyone have an instrument shop they can recommend? Or confirm the ones that others have mentioned? I'm in AZ and it would be helpful if the shop was in AZ but not necessary. Others have suggested RS in Phoenix, Abbot in Portland, West Valley in Reseda, CA, and Instrument Specialties in RI. So I'm a bit confused.
3. Thinking of getting an Omix-Ada aftermarket replacement for $132 from MidwestJeepWillys. Anyone have experience with the Omix or Midwest? Someone said that all the aftermarket ones are junk and I would need to restore the original, but price of $800-$1,200 to restore is out of sight.
4. Strategy might be to initially replace with the Omix while the original is being reconditioned. Anyone have an opinion on that?
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1974 Jeep CJ-6
5,661 Posts
Other than the paint flaking off of the needle, is there anything wrong with the gauge(s)?

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent question, thanks. Temp and fuel gauges don't work, but e.g., I don't know whether its the gauge or the sending unit, haven't had anyone look at it. And speedometer works but bounces. Not sure about oil and amp idiot lights.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Might post this in the CJ forum. John Strenk is the Jeep electrical wizard and probably has your answer.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might post this in the CJ forum. John Strenk is the Jeep electrical wizard and probably has your answer.
Thank you for the referral. I'm now talking with Drew at The Jeep Farm here in Phoenix who says he normally rebuilds himself. Encountered some engine problems over Christmas so will now need to take it in primarily for that now and I'll have him look at the gauge too.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the referral. I'm now talking with Drew at The Jeep Farm here in Phoenix who says he normally rebuilds himself. Encountered some engine problems over Christmas so will now need to take it in primarily for that now and I'll have him look at the gauge too.
Also, Drew at The Jeep Farm didn't think too much of the Omix and thought he could recondition himself so I cancelled the order.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts