Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for documentation purposes I suppose. This was my first rebuild of this scope (full chassis off). Like my 1993 Wrangler Sahara, this was a farm jeep that was pulled from service about 25 years ago. I decided I wanted to rebuilt it because I love these older CJ5s. This rebuild started about 17 years ago, got put on hold due to personal BS, really started to complete the project the last 2 or so years.

I'm crap with photos/step-by-step stuff so this is more of a highlights reel.

Didn't have any documentation, the serial plate was missing. Only information I had was the "63" on the license plate. Fortunately the stamp was still on the chassis so I was able to back trace the information.

Start with the day I pulled it out of the junk yard:

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shortly after pulling the jeep out of the junk yard I went off to college. Took a metal shop class and needed something to do. I knew my Jeep was missing the shifters so I decided I'd make some.

Lost wax casting with some used bearing bronze (came off some retired cruise ship/military vessel). Can't find my finished pictures so there's a spoiler photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stripped the axles also for blasting and POR15 coating.

Found the locker in the 44 to be ruined and the R&P to be shot. Ended up speaking to a fellow farmer who had a spare D44 laying around. Ended up just using his axle as mine was too far gone.

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Looks like it was actually in pretty good shape for its age, when you started.

Looking forward to seeing it get resurrected!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like it was actually in pretty good shape for its age, when you started.

Looking forward to seeing it get resurrected!
Thanks! It was pretty decent. Fortunately it's been a San Diego jeep it's whole life so the rust was basically nonexistent. Had a tiny bit below the dash where the structural member and the floor meet. But otherwise in good condition. It was a runner before I started the rebuild but the clutch went out and I decided that I'd just make it a full restoration. You know, like you do when the clutch fails... :grin2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts