Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

10lb nitrous fogger setup on 2.5L

5012 17
Just something I thought about. What would a 10lb nitrous fogger setup do to a 2.5 motor? For those times when you need a little bit more wheel spin in the mud, or a little more power for a hillclimb or to get over a rock. Do you guys think it would be of any help? For the cost of a setup, I think it would be almost worth it. not to use to race hondas, but as a functional offroad assistant
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
It might be helpful in the mud....but if you want to climb hills its all about lowers gears and lockers. Off roading is more about torque and slow control of your vehicle not raw horsepower blasting up a hill. Thats how you break ****.

Just my 2 cents

Reactions: superj

· Registered
6,529 Posts
Not a good idea. I don't think you would get that much use out of it. It's good for high rpm power, not low end torque which is what you need offroad. Plus nitrous is terrible on an engine.

· Registered
396 Posts
nos + Jeep Wrangler = *******

· Registered
1,579 Posts
If you're looking for more power out of the 2.5L I'd either go with forced induction (supercharger/turbocharger) or swap in a different motor.

There are some guys local to me who've been putting turbo's on the 2.5L's. Very, very simple kits, nothing fancy at all, but they're only in to them about $1,500 running 6 psi.

I'm planning on picking up a 91 YJ 2.5L and I'm going to look into a cheap turbo for mine to help turn the 40"+ tires. You can find a used turbo off a WRX, Evo, Eclipse, Talon, SRT-4, VW, or other popular ricer for cheap.

· Registered
1,552 Posts
redrock4x4 said:
If you're looking for more power out of the 2.5L I'd either go with forced induction (supercharger/turbocharger) or swap in a different motor.

There are some guys local to me who've been putting turbo's on the 2.5L's. Very, very simple kits, nothing fancy at all, but they're only in to them about $1,500 running 6 psi.

I'm planning on picking up a 91 YJ 2.5L and I'm going to look into a cheap turbo for mine to help turn the 40"+ tires. You can find a used turbo off a WRX, Evo, Eclipse, Talon, SRT-4, VW, or other popular ricer for cheap.
yeah, but the trick is to get them mounted and working properly on an engine that wasn't engineered to have a turbo.

btw thanks for the email about the bar pin:)

· Registered
1,579 Posts
Polaris said:
yeah, but the trick is to get them mounted and working properly on an engine that wasn't engineered to have a turbo.

Tell me about it, my 4.0L turbo has been fun :)

There's a ton of room to work with on the 2.5L though.

It would be simple to make a 505 Performance style kit for the 2.5L:

http://www.505performance.com/01Prod.html

For engine management, you could go cheap with a return style fuel system (which the YJ I'm purchasing already has), and a boost operated FMU. If you don't have a return style fuel system you could adapt over to one, or go with an inline fuel pump to increase the pressure.

If you don't want to mess with the fuel system you could go all out with a piggyback ECU and larger injectors, but the fuel system is much easier to work with IMO.

· Registered
796 Posts
Polaris said:

indeed, but the engine bay of a 2.5L is basically empty and im sure the iron block and iron heads help a little bit.

· Registered
1,552 Posts
redrock4x4 said:
Tell me about it, my 4.0L turbo has been fun :)

There's a ton of room to work with on the 2.5L though.

It would be simple to make a 505 Performance style kit for the 2.5L:

http://www.505performance.com/01Prod.html

For engine management, you could go cheap with a return style fuel system (which the YJ I'm purchasing already has), and a boost operated FMU. If you don't have a return style fuel system you could adapt over to one, or go with an inline fuel pump to increase the pressure.

If you don't want to mess with the fuel system you could go all out with a piggyback ECU and larger injectors, but the fuel system is much easier to work with IMO.
what about making a turbo work on a 4.0? Would it be just as easy to piece together a kit?

· Super Moderator
2021 Gladiator
27,450 Posts
adp5025 said:
nos + Jeep Wrangler = *******
Thats a pretty ignorant statement right there.

Those that say nitrous is a waste obviously don't wheel in the same terrains as others who see the benefits of nitrous.

My friend runs nitrous on his I6. He competed in Four Wheelers 2004 Real Truck Club Challenge and won the mud bog event with a 30 second time. The next closest competitor had a 1 min 30 second time.

So is he a dumb***? Maybe you should ask everyone who competed against him.

· Registered
2 Posts
If you're looking for more power out of the 2.5L I'd either go with forced induction (supercharger/turbocharger) or swap in a different motor. There are some guys local to me who've been putting turbo's on the 2.5L's. Very, very simple kits, nothing fancy at all, but they're only in to them about $1,500 running 6 psi. I'm planning on picking up a 91 YJ 2.5L and I'm going to look into a cheap turbo for mine to help turn the 40"+ tires. You can find a used turbo off a WRX, Evo, Eclipse, Talon, SRT-4, VW, or other popular ricer for cheap.
You have an instagram ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts