Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1 piece axle shafts on my CJ7 narrow track, no idea who’s make as no manufacturer stamping.
Pulled the passenger side as oil streaming out down the back plate and as suspected the rubber round the inner oil seal has worn out.
The bearing is a cone timken one and the cup stayed in the tube when I pulled the shaft.
No grease in the bearing as it’s all washed out and I am trying to understand if the bearing is worn or not.
When I push the cup in the bearing it holds it all nice and tight with no movement. But without the cup the race moves about. Is this normal?
Hopefully the photos show what I’m talking about.
I noticed there is no spacer between the seal and bearing and I read that the spacer might not always be needed.
I welcome any helpful comments
Thanks
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Tread Wheel

·
Premium Member
9,245 Posts
The bearing is supposed to be packed with grease. The inner seal is supposed to keep diff lube from getting to the bearing grease as well as to keep diff oil from getting on the brakes. Looks like the grease deflector and outer seal are missing. Those are stock Jeep parts. You'll have to remove the axle retainer ring and get a new one. It's a special part for one piece axle sets. Actually, the best thing to do is to get an axle bearing and seal kit from Moser. That way you're assured of getting parts that fit correctly. The Moser kit does not contain the grease deflector but is probably available from Quadratec.

Attachments

·
Registered
04 TJ
280 Posts
You can drill a hole in the ring behind the bearing and it should split with a chisel. Then cut the cage off the bearing and cut the race with a grinder being careful not to cut into the axle shaft, then it should crack and slide off.
A long pipe can be used to drive it back together but can only hit against the inner race...or a press.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks 80cj, I have now removed the old bearing and collar, the outer oil seal was behind the backing plate.
In the replacement kit I have, inner seal, spacer, bearing and lock ring and outer seal. The old outer seal is a larger diameter than the replacement, because the shaft is a lot wider at the bottom, after where the bearing presses up to.
Were there different diameter outer oil seals? Fortunately my outer seal is ok so I can reuse it, but it’s finding out why the inner seal failed along with the bearing.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,245 Posts
I believe there is only one outer seal (with the flange that matches the housing and backing plate bolt pattern). It's a stock Jeep item that you should be able to get at NAPA and others. As far as failure of the inner seal, could be that the axle bearing retainer ring was wrong and was inteferring with the seal. The bearing retainer in one piece kits is narrower than the retainer that comes with set 9 bearings used with the one piece axles. Check the thickness of the old retainer ring with your new one. This is just an educated guess.

·
Premium Member
9,245 Posts
The spacer sets the bearing and axle protrusion distance. Without the spacer there is no back support for the bearing. I guess someone had an extra part left over when he did the installation.

·
Premium Member
9,245 Posts
Should mention that while you've got thing apart, pull the diff cover and check if the diff thrust block is still installed. If it is, remove it because the one piece axles don't need it and it can cause axle bearing problems if the shafts bottom out on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts