Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Drove my 08 JK unlimited (5k miles) to work today and parked it - no problem. When I got back, I noticed the interior light did not come on when I opened the door. The "Sentry Key/Security Alarm Indicator Light" (just above the temp gage) was the only light that was on, even before I put the key in. It started OK and drove OK, but the rest of the dash never came on.

Also, my wipers stayed on even when I turned them off and the headlights didn't work at all. Neither did the interior light. Brake lights and radio worked - nothing else.

Couldn't find anything in the manual about that. Anyway, it was after 5 pm so the service department was closed. I pulled the J20 fuse to shut off the wipers so I could drive it to the dealer monday morning. At the same time I accidentally pulled and then put back fuse J7 (ABS and ESP) and relay K3 (starter solenoid).

Bingo - now everything seems to be working fine. ??? Any ideas? The only non-stock item are Jeep Fogs, using all separate wiring.:confused:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sounds like the IOD (Ignition off draw) fuse was pulled or loose. Check the fuse box for the 60 amp fuse with the white plastic "grip piece" around it. It you pull that fuse it kills most of the dash functions. It is usually pulled when towing the Jeep four down, as the ignition key needs to be in the unlock position. If it were loose and not seated properly you could experience that type of a problem.

Sarge

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, I'll double check that.

I checked the manual again and the one dashboard indicator that was permanently on was "Sentry Key/Security Alarm Indicator Light", a round LED just above the temp gage.

According to the manual, if it remains on after the 3 second bulb check, it indicates "a problem with the electronics". The light was not flashing, which would have indicated a faulty key, and shut off the engine in 2 seconds. The engine ran fine though.

I guess I'll see what the dealer says on Monday...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing happend to me, went to early formation, came back, wipers on and no dash. Took it in and they told me the dash was just gone, didn't really have a reason so they ordered a new one and everything is fine. Thank God for the warrenty.

·
Registered
309 Posts
any update from anyone on this problem, i was having the the same issuie with the wipers goin and no dash, blinkers or lights nothing. i decided to unlock the jeep again but with the key and the alarm went off and everything started to work again like it reset the locked up computer or somthing, maybe this is a fix

·
Registered
5 Posts
Drove my 08 JK unlimited (5k miles) to work today and parked it - no problem. When I got back, I noticed the interior light did not come on when I opened the door. The "Sentry Key/Security Alarm Indicator Light" (just above the temp gage) was the only light that was on, even before I put the key in. It started OK and drove OK, but the rest of the dash never came on.

Also, my wipers stayed on even when I turned them off and the headlights didn't work at all. Neither did the interior light. Brake lights and radio worked - nothing else.

Couldn't find anything in the manual about that. Anyway, it was after 5 pm so the service department was closed. I pulled the J20 fuse to shut off the wipers so I could drive it to the dealer monday morning. At the same time I accidentally pulled and then put back fuse J7 (ABS and ESP) and relay K3 (starter solenoid).

Bingo - now everything seems to be working fine. ??? Any ideas? The only non-stock item are Jeep Fogs, using all separate wiring.:confused:
Hello, I am having issues with my 08 wrangler JK right now. So about a month ago I brought my Jeep in to get the upper and lower ball joints done, slotted rotors, and a few other things, nothing to do with engine, just suspension. so the mechanic pulls my Jeep out of the bay, parks it, shuts it off. So I get into the Jeep to start it, nothing, DEAD. the security light was on, the mechanic cut the wire from my factory alarm system. So the Jeep started after that. Me being the ******* that I am didn't think that the security was connected with ECM sensor. It makes sense now. When I bought my Jeep 4 years ago, the dealer only gave me one key, no key fob, and the key that I have is just the one that unlocks doors or whatever. all of a sudden the dashboard lit up like a christmas tree. The engine light started blinking, struggling to accelerate, and obviously the injectors were not getting the signal that they need because my Jeep is in anti-theft mode. So now my Jeep is sitting at a Jeep dealership. 500 dollars to diagnose it. I called there and told them what is wrong with it, and told them that I need a new key, and a new ECM sensor. This dude thinks I am an *******. On the other hand I guess having them go through the whole system and diagnose it will make me feel better. The shop where the dude works that cut the wire is denying it. I was watching him as he did it and I am willing to split costs because I did say to go ahead and shut it off not knowing he was cutting the wire. The shop is not willing to work with me at all. I even said that I would buy the part or parts from the dealer and just have the mechanic eat the labor. NOPE. nothing. I have not had my Jeep for 9 days and I am losing my ****.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts