Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's what i did, had my ABS working in the pedal when on dry roads coming to a stop, replaced ABS module and pump with a used one, still had same issue. I know I should have checked the wheel speed sensors first, finally replaced both back ones first because i replaced both front wheel bearings last year so I didn't count on finding the pinched front speed sensor wire on the front right. Replaced all the sensors but the front left, used all mopar parts as usual. Btw ABS, ESP/BAS and traction control lights were on as well as a service 4WD message. After finding the bad front right speed sensor and replacing it I reinstalled the original ABS module only thinking the dash lights would clear because it was VIN matched to the vehicle, or so I am told. had a local shop hook up a scanner and he cleared all ABS codes and all dash lights went out. took it down the road and as soon as i hit about 15MPH traction control light was flashing and it lost power and would hardly go when I hit the gas, pulled the ABS fuse to drive it and it drove normal except for when i turned hard it felt like the 4WD was engaged and would bind at the front and then a loud clunk. local mopar dealer said the front differential was causing the traction control and abs lights and needed replaced. Replaced the front actuator just to try curing the problem. used 75W-140 full synthetic and mopar additive. Still have all the ABS BAS/ESP and traction lights on, 4wd low works great and locks everything in, when not in 4LO tried a hill and both front wheels don't spin, could bad clutches in the front diff cause this or do i have another problem? thanks for any help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cured, replaced 3 of the wheel sensors but after getting an OBD link LX and downloading appcar i did some live data and watched the wheel speed, the sensor i replaced was still getting erratic readings causing the traction control to come on. Replace the whole front right wheel hub assy and fixed the problem. Going back to the dealer on monday and demanding they refund me the 145 they charged me to tell me it was the front differential that needed replaced. They must not have bothered to do a live check on wheel sensors or they would have noticed this, what a joke they are!

·
90grandoneer
4,263 Posts
Hi, and welcome from another Adrian. I see you've discovered what many of us call "stealers", and glad you got it fixed without them gouging you for stuff that you more than likely wouldn't have needed......apparently a common practice of some stealerships.

Reactions: adrian4064002

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, and welcome from another Adrian. I see you've discovered what many of us call "stealers", and glad you got it fixed without them gouging you for stuff that you more than likely wouldn't have needed......apparently a common practice of some stealerships.
Thanks Adrian, yeah it goes to show you the type of business most of them do! Glad I spent less than 150 on stuff to do diagnostics myself rather than spend 700 on a front diff that wouldn't have cured the problem

1 - 4 of 4 Posts