Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had starters go out on me before, they get noticeably weaker and eventually get all 'clicky.' This starter did none of that. One day I turned the key and nothing. No clicks, not a sound. It almost seemed like I wasn't turning the key hard enough. The battery has plenty of juice, and it push starts just fine. Problem is, when I turn the key nothing happens. It has the exact same feeling as turning the key without engaging the clutch. So I tried putting a 10A fuse in the clutch safety override slot and it did nothing. Also tried starting it in 4L and still nothing. Do starters just go flat dead like this or is there something more obvious that I'm missing?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This idiot would look in his hard copy of the TJ FSM (factory service manual).
Other idiots get banned for telling people too specifically how to acquire a PDF of one.
Good luck...
Ha! Thank you! So would I basically just be using a jumper to connect the red wire here next the adjacent black wire?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
It is possible you have a broken or cracked ignition actuator pin tip which is between the key cylinder & the ignition switch. That will keep the switch from turning all the way to the start position. Sometimes it is intermittent especially if it is cracked & not yet broken all the way. The best way to tell is to take it apart. You will need a security t-10 Torx bit or you can break the security tab off with a small punch or even a common nail & use a standard bit. There is only 1 t-10 security bolt holding the ignition switch on to the actuator assembly & with that removed you can slide the switch off & see the actuator tip (without removing the whole actuator assembly). The switch snaps onto the actuator so you may need to pry it a little but be careful not to bend the flexible rod that goes into the switch. If that rod gets damaged it may hang up & the "key in" chime may come on even when you take the key out. Just be careful to go straight away from the actuator until the rod clears the switch & you should be OK. When apart you can see if the pin tip is broken & you can turn the switch with a screwdriver to test the switch & the rest of the circuit. If it starts with the screwdriver you can at least drive it to get the actuator assembly which is not available from the dealer, only parts store or on line.

Here is a link with good photos. If the tip is broken then you can remove the rest of the assembly.

Photo of broken pin tip & of assembled cylinder, pin & switch
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...crank-2163585/

U-tube video here

·
Premium Member
6,672 Posts
Hopefully you've already checked for blown fuses and tried swapping the starter relay for a known good one (the horn relay is usually the best candidate here).

·
Registered
527 Posts
According to this schematic that I found your wiring is the same as my 98TJ.
I had the same problem and how I diagnosed it is to jump the starter relay (D10 to D14) with the key in the on position and see if it turns over and starts which mine did. I then worked all the way back to the ignition to find no 12v output on the yellow wire when the key was in the start position.

Rectangle Product Schematic Slope Font

Since I did not want to replace the ignition switch I found a +12v source ran it to a push button switch and then jumped it to the yellow wire(see picture below)...this way I could still have the clutch pedal switch connected. I even used a 12v source that only came on when the key was in the on position.

Hand Finger Nail Office supplies Creative arts

My 98 TJ now has push button start!!!

Wow I just realized this is a 3 year old and the problem was solved. Ahh well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts