Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running into and issue with my Jeep Wrangler it has over 200k on it and have tried to keep it in the best condition possible. Currently I was having issue with my check engine light blinking on and off and the engine and gauges would all blink off when it happen. From time to time my fuel gauge would not come back and show empty tank until I restarted the engine. I thought it my be a short and found that when I shook my ground wire from the battery it did have a short. Replaced that with the BIG 6 from JeepCables.com. It did not resolve my pending issue. Replace the fuel pump, nope did not fix.

Then when driving back my jeep just died and would not start. Let is sit for a few mins and it started back up and I made it home. The error code was P0016. Looked it up and read all about the OPDA issues. Ordered a Crown and when I went to remove the sensor the whole housing turned on me so I tried my best to get it back to position. The new senor I ordered from e-bay claimed it was OEM and even had the same marking as the old one but did not work. Put the old one back on and waited for the Crown to show up. I replace it with the help off this forum on how to and when I tried to fire it up my engine would hardly run and run like ****. I shut it down. I take it the timing was way off. The only option I had was to do the TDC and trust me that was a pain in the *** finding the markers as apparently you need to remove the belt to see it.

Once the markers were line up and did a stick down spark plug one to make sure it was top. I lined up the OPDA hole to center and move the housing so that it would be at the marked 4 o'clock position. I used the original sensor the first time. It fired up and rev the engine to 4K with no throttle down. I don't go any further than 4K and got the P0016 code shortly after. I disconnected the battery, unplugged the sensor, reconnected the battery and fired it up. This time it would only go to 3K before getting the throttle down safety. It popped the P0340 code. I disconnected the battery again and swapped the original sensor with the one that came with the Crown part and put it all back together. This time I rev the engine to 4K no issues but got the P0016 code again.

This point I'm running out of idea and this is where I turn to you guys for help. Thank you in advance.

· Registered
Jeep Cherokee XJ
98 Posts
I would suggest starting with cleaning and visibly checking all ground wires. Anything that is grounded take it off peel back rubber and make sure wire isn’t corroded. Clean connection point to bare metal. Takes a little time but totally worth the effort and peace of mind. You can search your make and model to find all ground connections on google if you think you missed some,might take a minute but you will find the correct diagram.

· Registered
922 Posts
What did the old OPDA and cam gears look like?

You may only be slightly off on the cam/crank alignment if you verified you were at TDC compression. Try slightly rotating the OPDA one way or the other and see if it goes away.

· Banned
108 Posts
It sounds like you have several potentially independent issues that will require a process of elimination to isolate the cause of each issue.

First when say "it did not resolve my pending issue", does mean the the gauge and CEL still blink?

Second, check the ground connects on the engine near the oil filter, remove and clean then and then torque to spec.

Third, like jkp said what the OPDA gear look like, post a couple picture of the gear.

Fourth, set the timing to TDC on compression stoke, never turn the crank backward, remove the OPDA, insert the OPDA alignment pin in the OPDA, reinstall the OPDA, while holding counter clockwise pressure on the OPDA tighten clamp, then remove alignment pin. At this point your timing will be correct and the slack in the timing chain and OPDA gear will be accounted for. If done correctly you should now have correct timing.

But wait, the PCM has the old timing correction from the factory and will need to be corrected, this does by using a scan tool that will execute the re-learn function. You can skip this procedure an hope that the old and new OPDA and CPS timing match the original but more likely than not they be off and P0016 code will re-appear.

To get rid of the existing the P0016 will require the PCM be reset with a scan tool.

Fifth, the 340 code is a result of a bad CPS or and Aftermarket sensor with the wrong timing dewell. The fix for this is a Mopar CPS which are no longer available. There is company that makes a OPDA that excepts a Mopar CKP, which are available from Mopar, which has the correct dwell.

Sixth, what concerns me most is the fuel gauge issue, it along with your other problems suggest you may have a bad or failing PCM.

Keep us in loop so we know how you are coming on resolving your issue and any help we can give you.

Good Luck

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:

Since I could not pin-point the cause of the issue I decided to start for scratch. I pull out spark-plug one, removed the belt so see the line-up markers and shoved and extension tool in the hole. I had a friend keep his finger on it while I turned the crank and tell me the second he felt it go down. It was not far from the line up markers on the crank wheel. Once I had TDC I went ahead and replace the spark plugs and the belt. Before I removed the OPDA the first time I marked the position of the sensor on the engine block at 4 o'clock position. Getting OPDA at that position took a few tries, but I got it back in position. I used the original OEM sensor and cleaned it before I installed it. Hooked up the battery and fired it up. No error lights. Let it run in the garage and let the temp gage get to just under 210. Ran the RPM's up to 4K and no issues. I'll take it out tomorrow and do some shopping local before I take a road trip with it, but I think we are good. Just a real pain in the butt.

The old one didn't show signs of wear, but when I went to remove the sensor the first time the entire housing moved due to the OPDA bolt not being torqued down properly I will say that on the crown replacement part on the wheel there is a marking saying top. You'll notice it in the picture. I didn't see this on the OEM one.

Automotive tire Grey Tread Human leg Synthetic rubber
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Hood Window Automotive lighting Grille Wood

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well took her out yesterday and run some chores with no issues at all. Seems that fixed the blinking engine light/ gauge reset problem. I did notice a bit higher oil pressure at high speeds, but nothing to worry about. Next project is getting the engine cleaned and having all the seals checked for leaks. I already replace the rear seal when I replaced the clutch and looks like my drive side step bar is rusted out so going to replace those with some SRC rockers. Thank you all for your help.

· Registered
13,369 Posts
GREAT - no P0016 or any code for that matter?

I'll guess you did set it to TDC compression - a 50 50 chance....
If yu get it on a good scanner be sure to check SYNC - the relationship of CMP to CKP tdc relationship..

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GREAT - no P0016 or any code for that matter?

I'll guess you did set it to TDC compression - a 50 50 chance....
If yu get it on a good scanner be sure to check SYNC - the relationship of CMP to CKP tdc relationship..

Yeah, no codes showing up. I would like to know what a good scanner you would recommend or program that I can install on a laptop. I'm sure I can find a serial cable to connect to it and reprogram the Jeep if needed. I asked one of the shops how much it would cost if I needed to do it and it was around 250 bucks. I think at that price might as well get my own and do it myself if possible.

· Banned
108 Posts
Yeah, no codes showing up. I would like to know what a good scanner you would recommend or program that I can install on a laptop. I'm sure I can find a serial cable to connect to it and reprogram the Jeep if needed. I asked one of the shops how much it would cost if I needed to do it and it was around 250 bucks. I think at that price might as well get my own and do it myself if possible.
Here is the link to get the Factory Mopar program, chrysler-witech-2-oem-dealer-diagnostic-tool, you will need. The thing is with the wiTech tool you can become a PCM rebuilder in addition to tuner, But Mopar still locks you out of the operating system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts