Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1061 - 1080 of 1126 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just ordered and installed the GM flapper valve in my OEM hose. Not sure why that valve came stuck in a hose. Strange packaging... Anyway, works like a champ.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Uhm, yeah.

:nerd:

Not sure if you were being serious, but that's not packaging....that's the GM fuel hose with the integrated flapper.
Sorry, don't have the sarcasm font installed. I think that if I was that dumb, I wouldn't have been able to complete the job.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What is the hose I.D. where this check-valve is located? The reason I ask is that I'm looking to use this valve in a custom (not Jeep) application where I've fabricated a custom fuel-filler. I'm wondering if it might work for my needs.

Otherwise, I wonder if GM (or another manufacturer) might use a similar valve of a different size in some other applications.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You can get this part new for around $30 with shipping or look up GM TSB: 04-06-04-003A for a list of vehicles to try and score one from a salvage yard.

[UPDATE: Adding this list because it's looking like we're depleting the NOS supply of these old hoses. Salvage yard hunting may have to start happening.]
2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer with 83 L (22 Gallon) Fuel Tank (RPO NNK)
2003 GMC Envoy with 83 L (22 Gallon) Fuel Tank (RPO NNK)
2003 Oldsmobile Bravada with 83 L (22 Gallon) Fuel Tank (RPO NNK)
2002-2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT
2002-2003 GMC Envoy XL
2004 Buick Rainier
2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT
2004 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL, Envoy XUV
2004 Oldsmobile Bravada
Built Prior to December 2003
I went junkyarding the other day and came across about 8 Envoys/Traillazers in the year range. All of them still had their original hose withOUT check-valve, so it would seem the TSB wasn't applied to many vehicles in the field.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Since it was a TSB, not a recall, I'm guessing the hose was replaced only if a customer came in with the fuel spit back issue. Depending on how prevalent the problem was for them they could definitely be hard to find now.

I may be wrong but is seems like they were on national back order not long after SHoppe posted this as a fix & they had a run on them from jeepers. Later they were available so the demand may have caused them to order another batch. Maybe it will happen again but I'm sure the demand is less now so who knows.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hello everybody,

Need advice...installed this and it's not spitting gas at all now (which is great), but it now prematurely stops the pump before its full, I had to re-start pumping 5 times within 8 gallons.

Just installed a brand new GM tube on my 05' LJ with a 1.25 BL and Savvy gas tank skid in the high clearance setting. Trimmed 1 3/4" off the bottom (wide) side and 1 1/4" off the top (narrow) side. I have marked the "top" notched section so I know where it is on the tube. Tube sits nicely with no bad kinks or anything.

What am I doing wrong?

·
Premium Member
26,495 Posts
Hello everybody,

Need advice...installed this and it's not spitting gas at all now (which is great), but it now prematurely stops the pump before its full, I had to re-start pumping 5 times within 8 gallons.

Just installed a brand new GM tube on my 05' LJ with a 1.25 BL and Savvy gas tank skid in the high clearance setting. Trimmed 1 3/4" off the bottom (wide) side and 1 1/4" off the top (narrow) side. I have marked the "top" notched section so I know where it is on the tube. Tube sits nicely with no bad kinks or anything.

What am I doing wrong?
Does it stop prematurely on all gas pumps? If it just happened once it could have been they just filled their tanks and flow rate was very high.

What constitutes a "bad kink"? You really don't want any kinks of any type.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Probably nothing wrong with the install.

Just as the check valve is known to stick open & cause spit back it can also stick closed causing a VERY slow fill up. If that happens remove the hose & with a long screwdriver jam the valve back to get it to stick in the open position (again).

I was one of the first to install this mod (3-9-2012) & it has worked great for years but just last month I got the slow fill & had to push the valve back (1st time). The next fill up was back to normal, fast fill, no spit back.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,070 ·
Glad to see the fix is helping people and seems to be holding up.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thanks, I filled up at the same gas station and exact pump I always do, never had that problem before but with the new hose and the possibility of a recently filled station take, I suppose it is a possibility. Will drive around a bit and burn some gas to try filling up again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Another way to fix it is to pop out the check valve and file down the ridges on the sides of it until it moves freely as it supposed to. Then reinstall it. I did this fix when I had my tank out and I've never had a problem since. If you do this, you can keep the OEM hose (or not).

·
Registered
226 Posts
Another way to fix it is to pop out the check valve and file down the ridges on the sides of it until it moves freely as it supposed to. Then reinstall it. I did this fix when I had my tank out and I've never had a problem since. If you do this, you can keep the OEM hose (or not).
This is the right way to fix the problem. I did mine last year and have had zero issues since. It took about an hour using a motorcycle jack to lower and lift the tank. The GM hose fix is a short term band-aid, shade tree mechanic fix. Once you truly understand the cause, the repair to the in-tank check valve is really the only solution.

·
Premium Member
26,495 Posts
The GM hose fix is a short term band-aid, shade tree mechanic fix. Once you truly understand the cause, the repair to the in-tank check valve is really the only solution.
While I don't disagree that the intake repair is the ultimate fix, when we have people coming up on 7 years and still going strong with no issues I don't think I'd call the hose short term.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
While I don't disagree that the intake repair is the ultimate fix, when we have people coming up on 7 years and still going strong with no issues I don't think I'd call the hose short term.
x2. I've had the GM hose in my LJ for about 5 years now, still working fine.

·
Registered
317 Posts
^^^ This is the fix. The GM flap valve doesn't resolve the root problem which is the sticking check valve inside the fuel tank. While the GM part may eliminate spit back it cannot resolve a factory check valve stuck in a position that prevents fuel from going into the tank that manifests in a painfully slow fill rate.

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
The GM hose fix is a short term band-aid, shade tree mechanic fix. Once you truly understand the cause, the repair to the in-tank check valve is really the only solution.
I replaced ours sometime between 2009 and 2012, its in this thread whenever it was but worse case 6 years ago and still going strong.

·
Wizard of Brakes
33,107 Posts
I don't understand why we have to keep doing this over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over especially with someone like you who has demonstrated a very high propensity for wanting things done well and done correctly.

Just tell me that the GM bandaid will fix the problem every time and the check valve repair won't.

·
Premium Member
26,495 Posts
I don't understand why we have to keep doing this over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.
We don't. I acknowledged the ultimate fix. And I'll agree the hose is only an option for those with valve stuck open and not for those with it stick closed. All I said was that 7 years wasn't short term. You disagree with that?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I do know there are people who have done the GM fix more than once on the same vehicle. Can the same be said about anyone doing the proper fix and removing a bit of material from the valve inside the tank? Therefore the GM fix even if it last for years for one person does not mean it will for everyone. Hence its a short term band aid fix. It also costs more money to add the GM hose. Dropping the tank was free other than a pair of disposable gloves that I wore when I reached inside the tank. Feel free to disagree but to continue to say its a good fix, when it does not fix both the splash and the slow fill, is a bit of a stretch. Doing the valve in the tank will fix both problems and it will not re-occur.

1061 - 1080 of 1126 Posts