Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First post from a longtime lurker, looking for some help I can't seem to find an answer to elsewhere.

My wife has a 2004 KJ 3.7L base model, we picked it up a year ago from the original owner with all of the maintenance records.

We recently had an aftermarket Remote Start installed in it, from a reputable installed who has been great to work with.

The original issue:

The Jeep will start with the remote start without issue in warm weather. In the cold, it will start and die as soon as it gets running.

The Jeep would then start and run fine (at the same temperature, seconds later,) with the Key.
(Shutting it off after several seconds of running it with the key, it would still fail to start and run with the remote start again.)

The second issue:

While trying to troubleshoot what was going on with the remote start, I started playing to starting sequences with the key.

With the key in the ignition, if you turn from Ignition On to Start within a few seconds (1-3s,) it will start and run no problem. The SKIM light comes on during cranking, and shuts off after it is running.

With the key in the ignition, if you wait several seconds to turn from Ignition On to Start, the SKIM light will come on. If you try to crank after that, it will turn over and fire, but will die right after.

(The remote start does seem to go from Ignition On to Start fairly quickly. It tries to start before the SKIM light turns on on the dash.)

I do not believe the remote start has anything to do with Issue #2. It may have been there all along, but we never discovered it beforehand.
I do believe they may be related though, as the exhibit similar behavior in the starting/stalling sequence.

The Jeep has a fresh battery as of 2 weeks ago.
It never showed issues of starting before that, but it was 6 years old and changing it took it out of the equation.

Looking for any input that you may have. This one has me pretty stumped, and I don't want to waste my installer's time if the problem lies outside of the remote start module itself.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,081 Posts
what comes to mind-
Fuel pressure and pressure drop - critical at first start esp in cold weather.

A scanner - look for codes may not be 'P' series* so a good scanner needed, the SKIS should set a code if SKIS symbol illuminated, look at live data (fuel trims) you don't knw till you look.

* IIRC they are 'B" series codes or descriptions, a low end tool won't help here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what comes to mind-
Fuel pressure and pressure drop - critical at first start esp in cold weather.

A scanner - look for codes may not be 'P' series* so a good scanner needed, the SKIS should set a code if SKIS symbol illuminated, look at live data (fuel trims) you don't knw till you look.

* IIRC they are 'B" series codes or descriptions, a low end tool won't help here.
I was thinking Fuel Pressure too, but that doesn't explain why it will start with the key, but not the remote start with the same time delay between fuel pump priming and starter engagement.
I will see what I can do for monitoring fuel pressure.

·
Registered
11,081 Posts
I was a little confused (yeah it happens alot) on the description BUT added my thoughts.

I mentioned "fuel trims" in live data. A large + adjustment would be reason to look further and alot easier than plumbing in a gauge.

FYI- I posted the jeep repair manuals in the forum, you might want to get a copy - let me know if any trouble. search - keyword 'Manuals' , username 'jtec' , search forum 'JK liberty forum'

1 - 4 of 4 Posts