Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search, but most of the threads are pretty old. Sister's '04 Grand Cherokee has no sound on right side door speakers, front and rear. I can't verify if they both failed at the same time or not, as she is not sure. It's possible that happened, but it's also possible that the rear may have failed first, then the front failed (or vice versa). And only after the second speaker failed did the problem become noticeable.

Either way, swapped in a JY head unit (actually 2 JY units), and the behavior is the same: no right side sound from either door, but the right side dash tweeter is working. Before I throw hours into this, I wondered if anyone has had experience with this before. My previous experience with speakers has been cone foam failures, not complete silence, so not sure if it's a speaker issue or harness issue I should start with.

Base model GC, Laredo, so I doubt it's the high end system, but I don't know for sure. If I dig through my garage to find a spare speaker to try, I'll post results here. Thanks for any help or any experience you've had in this regard.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did a search, but most of the threads are pretty old. Sister's '04 Grand Cherokee has no sound on right side door speakers, front and rear. I can't verify if they both failed at the same time or not, as she is not sure. It's possible that happened, but it's also possible that the rear may have failed first, then the front failed (or vice versa). And only after the second speaker failed did the problem become noticeable.

Either way, swapped in a JY head unit (actually 2 JY units), and the behavior is the same: no right side sound from either door, but the right side dash tweeter is working. Before I throw hours into this, I wondered if anyone has had experience with this before. My previous experience with speakers has been cone foam failures, not complete silence, so not sure if it's a speaker issue or harness issue I should start with.

Base model GC, Laredo, so I doubt it's the high end system, but I don't know for sure. If I dig through my garage to find a spare speaker to try, I'll post results here. Thanks for any help or any experience you've had in this regard.
Does her GC have the Infinity sound system? I'm going through the same deal only mine are not playing through the left side. Went to a stereo shop and they said the amp most likely lost that channel. My amp is located under the back passenger side seat. I'm going to replace the whole danged thing with a Pioneer head unit and Memphis speakers. The store owner says it's going to sound a lot better than the old unit? We'll see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll check under the rear passenger seat to see if there's an amp located there. If not, is that pretty conclusive evidence that her car has the base model (not Infinity) stereo system?
And I'm guessing that since the head unit is identical to the one in my '01 Durango, that the wiring diagram for the stereo in the Durango is reliable as an indicator of what wires in the head unit harness plug go where? Might have to go the same route in sister's GC. Looks like there might be a single DIN conversion bracket for the these slots in the dash to install an aftermarket stereo head and keep the factory bezel. Keep us posted here how your install goes when you get it done, as I get notifications on this thread. Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'll check under the rear passenger seat to see if there's an amp located there. If not, is that pretty conclusive evidence that her car has the base model (not Infinity) stereo system?
And I'm guessing that since the head unit is identical to the one in my '01 Durango, that the wiring diagram for the stereo in the Durango is reliable as an indicator of what wires in the head unit harness plug go where? Might have to go the same route in sister's GC. Looks like there might be a single DIN conversion bracket for the these slots in the dash to install an aftermarket stereo head and keep the factory bezel. Keep us posted here how your install goes when you get it done, as I get notifications on this thread. Thanks.
The easiest way to tell if it's Infinity is to look at the front door speaker grills. Mine say Infinity Gold, and I'm sure it was a great sounding system when it was new 23 years ago. The Stereo store owner says it'll sound awesome. Like I said, we'll see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty sure they didn't have that script on them when I last saw the car, but it was a few months ago. Next time I go skiing, I'll be able to drop by her house and investigate. Thanks for the IDing help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts