Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello, i've just bought a 2001 TJ and i'm trying to pin down a casting number that's located driver side, bottom rear of block, just above the oil pan.
the number is 231100 but i can't find any info about it.
the engine doesn't have a distributor so i know it's at least '00, '01.

second pic has 441 to the left or front which could be the tail-end of a longer number, not sure.

tia
Brown Road surface Grey Asphalt Wood
Road surface Wood Grey Artifact Font

·
Premium Member
10,237 Posts
Are you trying to find out if you have the "TUPY 0331" heads ?

Or, you think the engine has been replaced before ?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you trying to find out if you have the "TUPY 0331" heads ?

Or, you think the engine has been replaced before ?
more curious about the engine origin. i'll be able to find the SN after i get a buch of grease off of it.

i did peep down into the oil cap hole to look for the 0331 mark but didn't see anything in there. i may be able to see what's on the side of the valve cover, again after i degrease things. can't see much 'til then.

·
Premium Member
6,877 Posts
If it's a 4.0L the definitive way to find out if it's the original engine is on the flat surface that the dipstick tube support bolts to. On there you would fine the last eight digits of the VIN.

The next best would be the engine build code which would be under the #2 plug. the code is of the form YMM MX DD.
Y = year
MM = month
MX = 4.0L engine with multipoint fuel injection and 8.8:1 compression ratio
DD = date of month

My TJ came of the production line Jan 2nd 97. The engine build date was 2-3 days earlier.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the number in the pic looks like it's on a tag instead of casted into the block.
maybe a factory ID?
my junk was mf'd 02/01. the motor tbd.

thanks for the info! good stuff!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts