|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|04-25-2017 07:00 AM|
|psyviperx||That's been upgraded as well. It's now a '13 Charger. Haha|
|04-25-2017 06:45 AM|
|rollout1||Looks like you have a P71 in the driveway too.|
|04-24-2017 09:52 PM|
There's been some progress.
New shoes: 32x11.5 Nankang Mudstar 880s on stock Gambler rims with a 1" spacer in the rear.
The 1.25" BL and 1" MML were also completed. For the MML, I went with spacer blocks instead of the taller mounts. (See post 1 edit)
The broken seat back has also been fixed. Now I just need to fix the seat mounts they're mounted at different heights and the driver's seat won't slide forward or back.
|03-16-2016 09:54 AM|
Replaced the worn serpentine belt the other day. I stopped by the parts store and grabbed the belt and headed home to dive in to the engine compartment.
Got the old belt off, loosened the tensioner to what i thought should be enough and started routing the new belt. I needed another 1" or to to get it on so loosened the tensioner some more. It didn't help. I double checked the belt p/n on Google, it was correct but, there was no way that belt was going to fit.
I grabbed both the old and new belts and headed back to the parts store. We measured the old belt. Which is becoming a lost art apparently. We decided that the belt I needed was a Dayco 5060940, which is not listed for any Jeep engines and only one Chrysler. Not sure whats funky with my setup but, it definitely isn't "stock."
|01-04-2016 02:21 AM|
Floofing the Soundbar
I had a couple 6" alpine speakers laying around from an older project so, i decided to upgrade the 5.25s in the soundbar.
When i pulled the factory speakers out i realized just how bad off they were.
Once i had the speakers out i stuffed the soundbar with a generous amount of floof.
After stuffing the soundbar i returned my attention to the speakers. I decided, because i had the time mostly, that i wanted to use the stock speaker plugs with the new speakers.
I unsoldered the leads and removed the plugs. There's little clip that fits into the speaker frame and locks them on. Don't just yank them off.
I had to file the frame of the Alpines to accept the plug and drill a small hole for the retention clip. If the clip doesn't get seated correctly the male ends wont plug in.
After i got it all buttoned back up i went for a drive. The sound was much better. I did create a problem though. The sound from the sound bar now overwhelms the single 4x6 i have in the front. My next project is to try and stuff some 5x7s in the dash.
|11-13-2015 12:58 PM|
A little front yard flexing just for s&g's.
I also picked up some of the wipe new as seen on tv stuff too try out. I find it entertaining that they use TJ flares on their box.
|11-13-2015 08:18 AM|
I have had this Craftsman Rally Box taking up space under my work bench for a couple years now. Someone was tossing it so i rescued it from the scrap bin. I finally found a use for it.
I'm thinking i want to mount it like this.
This would allow it to be mounted facing the interioir or exterior and its out of the way of the seat movement.
|11-13-2015 08:15 AM|
When i picked it up the left front brake was worn down to the steel on both pads and the rotor had been taking a beating.
After pulling the wheel off i noticed that the sway link was broken as well.
Luckily, in one of my bags of goodies that came with it was a new link (a new set od pads was also included).
Back to the brakes, i got the caliper pulled off without incident and fitted into a hoby vise to compress the piston. The piston was seized enough that it bent the arm on my vise. Nuts. I stepped areount to the right side and checked it out.
It wasn't quite as bad as the left....
I decided that i didn't want to deal with rebuilding the calipers and since i would have to make an unplanned trip to the parts store any way i bought two new calipers and another sway link.
While digging through the bags i also found a bushing kit for the front sway bar. They got installed as well.
|11-13-2015 08:10 AM|
Heres how it looked when i got it. (246271)
It came with lots of extras and a few to do's.
2.5" Heavy OME Lift; used, not installed (sold)
1.25" BL; used, not installed (not for a TJ)
Jeep Add-a-Trunk (sold)
Bikini Top (not for a TJ)
2 Soft top frames.
Front brakes (done)
Transmission output seal
Drivers seat back (done)
Preliminary Build Plans:
2.5" header back
HD Control arms, most likely adjustable (not likely, see edit)
New stock height springs
1.25" BL (done)
Dual stock switch panel
Fix/New front seats (fixed...kinda)
New roll bar pads
Upgrade Soundbar (done)
Other supporting mods as needed.
This is going to be primarily a DD with the occasional Weekend trip so, i want to keep the road manners as nice as possible. I also like the look of an LCG build and it should be able to handle anything i ask it to do. It's a rather lofty build on my budget so, it will be a little slow and subject to change.
Edit: My initial plans for this little guy have changed, but only a bit. I've decided I'm going to use as many stock (not necessarily jeep or even mopar) parts as possible. The reasoning being, quick and easy repairs anywhere.
EXAMPLE: If an IRO control arm gets smashed i have to order and pay for a new IRO control arm and I'm stuck without a ride until it's fixed. If i smash a stock control arm i can go to the nearest junk yard or auto parts store and have a replacement in a day or two without having to pay shipping or hope the manufacturer is still in business.
This restriction really only effects the suspension, drive line, engine, and brake systems. Electrical, bodywork, and armor are still fair game for aftermarket replacements/upgrades since they normally won't leave you stranded because of a failed specialty component.