Towing with a Patriot? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-18-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
shyleeb

Towing with a Patriot?

Hey Yall,
I have a 2014 Jeep Patriot 2.4L 4 cylinder automatic. I am moving my family across country and trying to find out if I'll be able to pull a 5x8 cargo trailer with the jeep. According to the U-haul website, I will be able to. I've put the trailer on reserve and scheduled installation of the hitch with U-haul. I will be traveling from CA to MO and going over Donner Pass. My dad seems to think that I'll be just fine as long as I take it slow and keep the RPM high and watch for overheating. I haven't been able to get a clear answer and have been combing this forum for the past couple of weeks looking for some direction. We aren't towing much furniture; a small apartment couch, TV stand and a single 6' shelf.

Thanks for your help,
Shylee B.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-23-2019, 07:47 AM
NoCheapJeeps

2015 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I'm going to assume that you have the tow package, with its oil cooler, installed on your Patriot or otherwise towing would be an act of causing significant damage to your vehicle.

If all of your stuff, plus the cargo trailer, weigh at or less than 2,000 lbs FCA says you should be okay. If memory serves, however, the Mopar receiver is a Class I hitch which is rated at 1,500 lbs.

If you ask me, however, I would not use a Patriot to tow across the U.S. Just be prepared to lay on those brakes early when coming up on red lights. I'm not saying you can't do it, I just don't know how comfortable I would be doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyleeb View Post
Hey Yall,
I have a 2014 Jeep Patriot 2.4L 4 cylinder automatic. I am moving my family across country and trying to find out if I'll be able to pull a 5x8 cargo trailer with the jeep. According to the U-haul website, I will be able to. I've put the trailer on reserve and scheduled installation of the hitch with U-haul. I will be traveling from CA to MO and going over Donner Pass. My dad seems to think that I'll be just fine as long as I take it slow and keep the RPM high and watch for overheating. I haven't been able to get a clear answer and have been combing this forum for the past couple of weeks looking for some direction. We aren't towing much furniture; a small apartment couch, TV stand and a single 6' shelf.

Thanks for your help,
Shylee B.

Jeep - Because no one ever grew up dreaming of a Ford Escape...
post #3 of 5 Old 06-23-2019, 08:05 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Rent the trailer for a day, fill with stuff, and go for a test drive. I think you will find the results disappointing, and possibly even scary, even when not on the Donner Pass. A better/safer idea is a larger tow vehicle, and hauling the Patriot filled with your stuff behind that behind that, or shipping all the stuff by freight truck. Several of the shipping companies will drop off a large box that you fill with your stuff and they will pick up and haul to the destination.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

post #4 of 5 Old 06-23-2019, 08:14 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

It would be a lot safer to rent a small truck and car trailer (or dolly) and tow the Jeep.

And do yourself a HUGE favor, and rent from Discount or anyone besides FU-Haul. They'll screw you over without a second though and do nothing to make it right.
A couple years ago, I reserved (weeks in advance) a truck and trailer for a move on a Monday morning. They called me Sunday night after 6pm and informed me they would have neither available for me and basically said 'tough nuggets' and left me hanging. They made zero effort to correct their 'error', told me it could be days before they could get me a truck and tossed me a few bucks for failing to keep the reservation. I ended up renting from Discount and getting the move done just a day late.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #5 of 5 Old 06-23-2019, 12:19 PM
NoCheapJeeps

2015 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
...and hauling the Patriot filled with your stuff behind that behind that...
Can you even do that with a Patriot? I was under the impression that the CVT transmission -- another reason why extended towing would probably be sub-optimal -- precluded towing the Patriot and that the only way you could move it was on a flat bed.

I faintly recall that FCA dropped the CVT transmission in favour of a more conventional transmission late in the Patriot's life though I couldn't find anything online in a brief search.

Jeep - Because no one ever grew up dreaming of a Ford Escape...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in