Towing HELP!! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-24-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Mjr52732

Towing HELP!!

I bought a 2014 Jeep Compass its only got 13 thousand miles on it, i have the 4.2 with the 6 sped auto transmission, the problem i bought a boat while it only weighs in fully loaded at 1700 lbs they tell me my Jeep towing cap is 1000 lbs. so i figured i could add the oil cooler that i think the trailer tow option has and Id be good. The dealer claims the part is only for the cvt transmission but when i put my vin in on Mopar parts it comes as it will fit my Jeep. Does anybody have any insight on this ? Do you think Id do damage if i pulled it as is? I wont be pulling very far, thanks for the help. If not it will br for sale.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-25-2019, 06:56 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
nothing you add to any vehicle will add tow capacity, can make it easier on it more stable, but wont add to the vehicle stated limit . The stated loads are on the the Vehicle. Nothing can change that. If something happened you are at risk of liability. Just saying this as one would think a Prius could tow more?

So say adding a cooler to the trans. will make it cooler yes, if its made well and installed in a way too. Careful here as well that changing the cooling system to the trans wont effect the warranty on the trans. If past warranty moot. If this "jeep" is like the other "jeep"s that are jeep. since 2012 all Jks went to a standalone oil cooler to the trans. Its rather good one as well, seems. but that is on a W5/Nag1. this stopped the issue with older ones over heating the oil and then catching fire in jks. they were part of the rads cooling system like most of the era. trouble is the over flow vent was on the intake, really and still are. add heat some real hot oil...and we have fire. I moved that vent line from the trans on mine to the side of the wire wall and down so if it tosses its lunch its not on the engine. The v6 i these can smelt lead under a hood.

what would help it tow its best? since you are not legal at weight now. Dont put on larger tires. You can get better tires but not taller. Taller just makes everything work harder and work=heat. stopping is the next issue. trail brakes .

as well that jeeps capacity is less whats in the jeep for total loads. so its worse then you think. over like 2x capacity. add in the people and "stuff". you just going down the block to load a boat or plan on interstates with 6% grades and high winds? here in LHC see people towing stuff they should never be, but they are just going down the road to the lake. most speed they can see is 25-45 mph here in town period. so really they should be fine unless the boat pulls them in the water and that happens here like at least a few times a year. there is even U tubes of the idiots on line. does make a funny film.....

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-26-2019, 09:27 PM
rjlindblom

Garage
The Compass is not a towing outfit. Yours is set up about like mine. Mine has the 1,000 pound tow capacity. I kayak, so they either go in the pickup or Ill strap them to the top.

Ryan
2016 Compass
KE0LXT

post #4 of 6 Old 05-01-2019, 08:31 AM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjr52732 View Post
I bought a 2014 Jeep Compass its only got 13 thousand miles on it, i have the 4.2 with the 6 sped auto transmission, the problem i bought a boat while it only weighs in fully loaded at 1700 lbs they tell me my Jeep towing cap is 1000 lbs. so i figured i could add the oil cooler that i think the trailer tow option has and Id be good. The dealer claims the part is only for the cvt transmission but when i put my vin in on Mopar parts it comes as it will fit my Jeep. Does anybody have any insight on this ? Do you think Id do damage if i pulled it as is? I wont be pulling very far, thanks for the help. If not it will br for sale.
I'm probably too late on this but ... The owners manual states that the 2.4 automatic with Trailer Tow Prep package can tow 2000 lbs which is the same as the 2.4 with FDII ( CVT ). If the CVT trailer prep package includes a cooler, then ask the dealer what the Auto trans model trailer tow prep package includes... I think you'll find it's nothing more then a wiring harness.

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #5 of 6 Old 05-01-2019, 09:18 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post
I'm probably too late on this but ... The owners manual states that the 2.4 automatic with Trailer Tow Prep package can tow 2000 lbs which is the same as the 2.4 with FDII ( CVT ). If the CVT trailer prep package includes a cooler, then ask the dealer what the Auto trans model trailer tow prep package includes... I think you'll find it's nothing more then a wiring harness.
still wont change what the vehicle can tow when built. Its stated on the door card max loads. you could put in a Alison Trans and Cummings still will only be rated to what ever it was when built. can you add a cooler again maybe so but it only help it not make it MORE.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #6 of 6 Old 05-01-2019, 10:23 AM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Its stated on the door card max loads. .
Exactly, there's no GCWR indicated and there is NO difference in GVWR between a 2.4L, AT equipped compass without the trailer tow prep package and one with the trailer tow prep package. They do the same thing with the Patriots.
This isn't even a trailer towing package , just a prep package.. there's no hitch installed, no tow/haul button, no programming changes nothing.. it's a prep package and it apparently doubles the towing capacity !
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.jpg  

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in