Liftgate won't unlock - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 05-31-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
[email protected]

Garage
Liftgate won't unlock

Trying to get some advice on fixing my daughter's 2014 Compass liftgate. The key fob won't unlock the liftgate and we can't open it. I've read many posts here and elsewhere about replacing the actuator but can't find anything specific (diagram or YouTube vid) on how to do this on a Compass specifically. Is the process similar to other Jeep products like a Cherokee?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-04-2019, 02:09 PM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Trying to get some advice on fixing my daughter's 2014 Compass liftgate. The key fob won't unlock the liftgate and we can't open it. I've read many posts here and elsewhere about replacing the actuator but can't find anything specific (diagram or YouTube vid) on how to do this on a Compass specifically. Is the process similar to other Jeep products like a Cherokee?
Can you hear the actuator moving if you listen at the liftgate door lock as someone operates the unlock from the drivers door ?
If you can hear the actuator, then the door is probably jammed with something in the latch area. we've had it happen a couple times and I had to push quite hard against the liftgate while someone pushed the unlock button. Then while still pushing , I pulled the handle to open .

If the actuator makes no noise and is probably dead, then there is a small piece of trim that you pry out that allows you access to the release. Otherwise the trim removal is pretty much the same as others. a few screws and hidden push pins/ clips

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in