HELP: 2010 Patriot constant limp mode/CEL after multiple repairs to address - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 09-05-2020, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
jpfds
1995 ZJ 

HELP: 2010 Patriot constant limp mode/CEL after multiple repairs to address

Have had a frustrating few months after buying a used 2010 Jeep Patriot North Edition (basic model with 2.4L CVT).

- A couple weeks after getting a routine oil change with rear differential fluid also replaced and having been suggested that the spark plugs get replaced which I did not go ahead with, the Patriot went into limp mode randomly and the CEL went off
- I checked back on my records and the spark plugs were replaced within the past year by the dealer who I purchased the Patriot from
- I took it to a local mechanic who flashed the code and said he wouldn't touch it since it was a transmission code and he doesn't work with CVTs - CODE U1146 transmission lost comm with ext. memory
- I took it to a transmission shop who also wouldn't touch it since it was a CVT and recommended I take it to a dealer to reprogram the transmission
- I took it to a dealer who reprogrammed the transmission, inspected it and cleared the codes. Everything appeared fine with the transmission.
- About a month later, I go into limp mode again and CEL goes off. I tow it to the dealer on their recco and they find the following:
- code po455 evap system leak present
- they replace the fuel cap and evap system AND clean the throttle body + intake manifold as it was dirty. They also added fuel system cleaner to fuel tank and flushed the fuel injectors.
- so far I have spent nearly $1000 at this dealer for two visits.
- about two weeks later, go into limp mode again and CEL goes off

Any ideas on what's going on? I was thinking maybe the spark plugs were replaced with inferior quality product? Maybe their loose? I imagine dealer would have checked.

I reset the CEL light with the pumping the gas pedal three times trick... but eventually it goes back into limp mode and CEL comes back. I see Electronic Throttle Control Warning Light is on before I turn the ignition as well as the CEL.

When I bought the Patriot, it appeared in impeccable condition with many issues addressed at the dealer who sold it. Only has 125,000 KMS and is in immaculate condition on the exterior. Would like to solve this issue once and for all since I think this vehicle can last much longer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-06-2020, 08:37 AM
Pine_Cat
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Don't count that $1,000 for the last 2 visits, water under the bridge. Those included several maintenance items, most of which you could have addressed yourself.

I take care of my own gas caps and fuel-system cleaners, so I never have to pay the dealership for that. I have my own code reader so I know what the dealership is using as the basis for their recommendations. Sometimes trying to save $25 here and there can end up costing $1,000.

Some of the newer engines make greater use of EGR, greater amount of oil blow-by. Since the OEMs did not install oil catch cans, we have to consider fuel-system cleaners for the intake manifold.

I've been finding that vehicles made in the last 15-20 years rarely need heavy work done as long as you keep up with routine maintenance. The dealerships are not all the same, try a few of them because you'll like one of them more than the others. I try to learn and understand as much as I can, but I often end up paying the dealership for the occasional work needed because I don't want to take a chance on messing it up myself and then the dealership won't want to touch it.

2017 JK
2016 MK- Murchison springs, ~1" BL, skinny 30s
2011 KK- H&R lift springs, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 31s
2009 Sorento- H&R springs, ToyTec strut spacers, OldManEmu shocks/struts, 31s
2006 TJ budget LCG prerunner- see profile
2006 Trailblazer- EXT lift, Nth LJ 4.5" springs + Monroe rear coilovers, skinny 32s
1998 Durango- SuspMax & Roadmaster lifts, rear Truetrac, skinny 32s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in