Determining Freedom Drive I or II on Patriots - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KLRJEEPER

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-11-2016, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
zerotwozero

Determining Freedom Drive I or II on Patriots

I've read some discussion on this thread about the differences between the Freedom Drive I & II in the Patriot model.

I'm currently looking to buy a Patriot between model years 2010-2016.

How can a person tell 100% whether or not the specific vehicle has FDI or FDII on the Patriot recent model years?

What about other models?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-12-2016, 06:55 PM
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

FDII will have an L on the shift lever and say "off road" next to it. That's the 100% way to know. it used to be that tow hooks and trail rated badge were a good indication but there are a lot of packages now that include the tow hooks, and people put the badges on even FWD patriot....

from 2008 and newer, the FDI will have the 4x4 lock and the shift lever has the +/- on it to "shift" through gears
a 2007 will have L on the FDI, but it will not say "off road" on it.

89 Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-23-2016, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
zerotwozero

Awesome, thanks for clarifying. I started by looking for Trail Rated badges but realized that someone could just throw that on a rig.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-23-2016, 04:20 PM
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerotwozero View Post
Awesome, thanks for clarifying. I started by looking for Trail Rated badges but realized that someone could just throw that on a rig.
When Looking, I looked first for 17" stock wheels, then tow hooks, then badge, and then the shift knob to confirm. Since no FDII had the 16" wheels, i would look past those first.

89 Cherokee

post #5 of 6 Old 10-10-2016, 05:21 AM
KLRJEEPER
2015 MK Patriot 

After owning both an 2010 FDII and now a 2015 FDI, I would forgo the FDII and just add the NEEDED parts from the FDII. Skid plates, tow hooks are pretty well the NEEDED stuff. You will want to go through the jeep and extend the breather lines for everything. I am using ARB kits for mine. I recommend a patriot FDI with the six speed transmission NOT the CVT. To many issues, no positives. I get MUCH better gas milage with the automatic, it's stronger, it has the same low range as the FDII CVT and a much better 6th gear for crusing without reving past 3000 rpm like the CVT does. As for hill decent, double door seals etc...those are not needed. I have extensively wheeled my 2010 and 2015 and these items are non factors. Hill decent is a gimmick, I never turned it on other to see what it does, and in my JK I never used it either....just use your brakes properly. As I said, After owning both versions I would never get an FDII now. There are no upsides to it compared to the FDI....

EDIT, I do believe it has a larger alternator as well, which would be one of the needed items to install on the FDI if your looking at running more lights, a fridge in the rear etc.
jplinville likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-14-2016, 11:18 AM
zoner99
2014 MK Compass 

I just wanted to add that you can quickly confirm details about your Jeep at http: // www. vindecoderz. com/EN/Jeep (remove the spaces). Works for other vehicles not just Jeeps. Put in your VIN then look under "!Extra information on the vehicle", then scroll though the Equipment Listing. I mainly used this while I was looking to purchase, I was looking for the 6 speed auto and also wanted the cabin air filter, vindecoderz was an easy way to determine what any vehicle was equipped with.

Tags
patriot , trail rated

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in