Blender door actuator - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-20-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
coloradojohn

Blender door actuator

I have a 2012 Jeep Patriot Sport. On the right side of my heating unit under the dash is the blend door actuator to let in the fresh air or circulate the internal air. Mine needs to be replaced. How do I do this?? It does not look like it is easy to reach. Does the entire heating unit have to be removed??

thanks
John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-20-2019, 06:26 PM
Pine_Cat
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

It's not easy to reach the actuator, but on most DC/ FCA vehicles it's doable. You'll need a special shorty screwdriver (less than $5 at lots of stores).

For a lot of vehicles, the FSM will say to remove the entire unit, but this is only necessary if you can't reach the actuator. Do it on a nice day, just in case something goes wrong and you need to drive it to the dealership.

Very important to disconnect the battery before attempting, and wait a couple minutes for the airbag capacitors to discharge. Lots of people have blown their airbags by fiddling in the dash without first disconnecting the battery.

2017 JK Sahara (my Smartcar)
2011 KK Liberty (H&R lift springs, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 32)
2009 Kia Sorento (H&R springs, ToyTec strut spacers, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 31)
2006 TJ budget LCG prerunner (see profile)
2006 Chevy Trailblazer (EXT lift, Nth LJ 4.5" springs + Monroe rear coilovers, skinny 32)
1998 Dodge Durango (SuspMax & Roadmaster lifts, rear Truetrac, skinny 32)
post #3 of 6 Old 11-21-2019, 05:32 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

pay attention to colleagues 'pine-cats' mention of AIRBAG concerns - disconnect battery.

The RECIRCULATE DOOR allows for fresh air or recirculates the cabin air.
The Blend door controls the HEAT how much air is directed over the heater core.

recirculate actuator you may be able to access if glove box removed.

THe actuator will need recalibration if replaced.

What makes you suspect the actuator ?
Attached Images

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

post #4 of 6 Old 11-21-2019, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
coloradojohn

Back to my blender door issue, the blender door motor works fine. What is happening is when I push the button to recirculate the air, I hear a ratcheting sound. When I look at the heater AC unit, I can see this door.

When the recirculation is off, the door opens up fine. No noise. When I push the button, the door closes fine. When the door is completely shut, I hear this ratcheting sound about 5-6 times.

What I have read on another site is this module has to be recalibrated when replaced. Maybe this is all I need. This is on the Jeep Cherokee site. They say to do the following.

1) turn the ignition on
2) Set the AZD to auto. (What is the AZD???)
3) turn ignition off
4) Remove the IOD fuse or disconnect the battery
5) reconnect battery or fuse and turn the ignition on
6) do not touch any AZD controls for 1 minute and let the calibration function run to completion

Does this work on a Patriot?? Again, what is the AZD control??
post #5 of 6 Old 11-21-2019, 11:55 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

There is no BLENDER door, it is not refereed to as a motor.

issue is RECIRCULATE 'actuator' .

you do NOT have a cherokee.

I would suggest you recalibrate the HVAC - also a scanner would allow you to look at codes for HVAC often "B" series codes.

SO all you have to do is plug in scanner select HVAC calibration, if a fault it will set a code.

Your friendly local jeep dealer should be able to assist you. BUT I do not think a actuator replacement without first recalibrating would be course of action.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-22-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
coloradojohn

jtec, you have posted thousands of posts. As a result, I find your reply too aggressive in nature. People who over-post tend to end this way.

I see no need to be on this site. Other than not being able to reach the screws, the only other GOOD advice was to remove the battery as to prevent accident air bag deployment.

Since this is my first, or maybe 2nd post, I will log off and not ever post again.........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in