2012 Compass Maniverter Replacement - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-09-2021, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
mitchpag
2012 MK Compass 

2012 Compass Maniverter Replacement

I seem to have a throttle / acceleration issue. Comes back with a downstream catalytic code.

Now I have a couple options:

1.Pay the money, replace the manifold / converter part with OEM.

2. Replace the maniverter with a aftermarket part - actually looking at some pieces from muffler express out of Ontario, any thoughts?

3. I heard of finding a way to straight pipe the deal and do something with the o2 sensors. Fixes the reading error, but the engine light stays on for eternity.

Has anyone came across this issue and found a solution that works for them?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-11-2021, 07:57 AM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchpag View Post
I seem to have a throttle / acceleration issue. Comes back with a downstream catalytic code.

Now I have a couple options:

1.Pay the money, replace the manifold / converter part with OEM.

2. Replace the maniverter with a aftermarket part - actually looking at some pieces from muffler express out of Ontario, any thoughts?

3. I heard of finding a way to straight pipe the deal and do something with the o2 sensors. Fixes the reading error, but the engine light stays on for eternity.

Has anyone came across this issue and found a solution that works for them?
A good shop should easily be able to determine if the cat is plugged or the O2ís are not working properly. Generally, just having a cat fail without plugging up wonít cause a performance issue. If it hasnít been done recently, Most people just replace both oxygen sensors first because they normally fail first. What was the code?

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #3 of 5 Old 05-15-2021, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
mitchpag
2012 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post
A good shop should easily be able to determine if the cat is plugged or the O2ís are not working properly. Generally, just having a cat fail without plugging up wonít cause a performance issue. If it hasnít been done recently, Most people just replace both oxygen sensors first because they normally fail first. What was the code?
I took it to a shop in the fall, and they said it was a cat issue, but I guess there's two of them on this guy. the code I got was a p0420 generic. Saying cat system effic below threshold on bank 1.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-16-2021, 08:02 PM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchpag View Post
I took it to a shop in the fall, and they said it was a cat issue, but I guess there's two of them on this guy. the code I got was a p0420 generic. Saying cat system effic below threshold on bank 1.
Did the shop look at the functionality of the O2 sensors and scope the cat to see if the plates/honeycomb structures are done or did they just look at the code?
You can pretty much eliminate that code and engine light using a spark plug non fouler but it wonít help you if the cat is actually plugged. I had p420 codes on 2 of my jeeps that were both resolved that way once I verified thereís was nothing wrong with the cat.

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #5 of 5 Old 05-19-2021, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
mitchpag
2012 MK Compass 

I replaced the spark plugs, and cleared the codes. Pretty much solved the acceleration issue, which I guess was actually multiple misfires... That couldn't be good.

However the same p0420 code came back on, which now I'm thinking that the overuse of the bad spark plugs is actually causing the code. Drives fine now though which is a plus!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in