2011 Patriot Instrument Cluster Lights - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By chiefpete

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-25-2020, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
chiefpete

2011 Patriot Instrument Cluster Lights

I have a 2011 Jeep Patriot Sport. When I switch on the headlights, the instrument cluster lights, radio lights, environmental control lights, and cupholder lights all flash on and off 4 times then go out. Wondering what's causing this and how to fix it. Gauges, turn signals, parking lights etc all continue to work normally.
Thanks
Ron P.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-25-2020, 09:42 PM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpete View Post
I have a 2011 Jeep Patriot Sport. When I switch on the headlights, the instrument cluster lights, radio lights, environmental control lights, and cupholder lights all flash on and off 4 times then go out. Wondering what's causing this and how to fix it. Gauges, turn signals, parking lights etc all continue to work normally.
Thanks
Ron P.
There have been issues with the turn signal stalks going bad causing these types of issues.
What happens if you just turn the parking lights on? Also will the lights flash at all if you uses the dimmer? Where do you normally keep the dimmer level .. highest setting or somewhere in the middle?

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #3 of 5 Old 01-26-2020, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
chiefpete

Ok, I did a little more looking and found that along with the interior instrument cluster, climate control, radio and cup holder lights going out, the parking lights also are out. Turn signals, headlights, high beams, fog lights all work as they should. I tried to adjust the dimmer but that had no effect. I usually keep the dimmer on medium. There is no flashing when I adjust the dimmer.

post #4 of 5 Old 01-26-2020, 01:27 PM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpete View Post
Ok, I did a little more looking and found that along with the interior instrument cluster, climate control, radio and cup holder lights going out, the parking lights also are out. Turn signals, headlights, high beams, fog lights all work as they should. I tried to adjust the dimmer but that had no effect. I usually keep the dimmer on medium. There is no flashing when I adjust the dimmer.
If you turn the dimmer locked to the hi- bright position then start the jeep and turn the lights on , do you get the same result?

Do your park lights come on and then go out like the rest, or do they just not come on at all? Could be a fuse or ground issue.

So far,It sound like there is a wiring problem in the stalk.

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #5 of 5 Old 01-26-2020, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
chiefpete

Yeah... I figured it out...! I figured that all the lights that were not working must be on the same circuit. I checked for blown fuses in the fuse box and none found. I have to say that the fuse box diagram was very short on info. I checked all of the lights and they all were ok. So basically the circuit (as originally installed) all checked out with no problem. I checked all the connections and grounds. All checked out to be ok. Then I thought of the trailer hitch wiring harness (aftermarket) which draws power directly from the (+) terminal of the battery and the t-harness connects to the tail-lights, which are part of the failing circuit. I noticed the in-line 10amp fuse on the 12v (+) off the battery was blown. I replaced the fuse and it blew again. Eureka...! I disconnected the trailer hitch wiring harness completely from the tail light circuit and "viola" the original problem is resolved. So apparently, the trailer harness was defective and it was acting as a short on the original tail light, instrument clustter lighting circuit. ANyways. Thanks for the advice. Ron P.
yzjwk likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in