2010 Jeep Compass - Hatch will not open (instructions) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 05-21-2016, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
jimmycworks
2010 MK Compass 

2010 Jeep Compass - Hatch will not open (instructions)

2010 Jeep Compass - Opening the rear hatch.

If your rear hatch will not open when you press the key fob, you can access the mechanism following these steps.

Remove the plastic plug in the middle of the rear cover.
Use one hand to pull on the top of the hatch cover, and use a finger in the hole to pull on the plastic rear cover.
the rear cover will pop out from the driver side to the passenger side.
there are two star bolts holding the plastic cover to the trunk lid do not try to remove the plastic cover until you open the trunk lid.
above the plastic cover there are two pieces of trim plastic that cover the wiring for the trunk. use a small screwdriver to pry up one end and then simply pull them off they will pop out easily.
locate the windshield wiper motor assembly this is directly below the window glass on the 2010 Jeep Compass to the right of this assembly and just below it is the hatch release.
gently push the Hatch release down.This is simply looks like a trunk release cable for an emergency brake cable it is black with a silver steel cable attached
if the door will not open follow the cable down to the lock mechanism.
in the bottom of the door you will see a white plastic tab push the tab away from the front of the vehicle this should unlock the door
again push gently on the hatch release cable the Hat should now open.
push the hatch open and use a star driver 2 finish removing the plastic hatch cover.ch
on both ends of the trunk release cable there is an adjustment nut it is black and the nut has wings a gentle tightening of each cable nut should restore normal function
exit the vehicle and close the trunk door.
try the outside hatch and see if your repair has been successful.
also ensure that they locking mechanism functions correctly when using the key fob, then open the trunk using the regular handle.
once you are satisfied that all steps work you can cut the plastic hatch cover and trim pieces back into place and then replace the 2 Star screws using a star driver.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-13-2018, 05:38 PM
mjcougler
2015 WK 

Rear hatch will not unlock electronically

I would like to reactivate this post to ask another question. These directions were very helpful in order to remove the hatch plastic cover to get the rear hatch open. Thank You!

My troubleshooting: I have determined that, in pressing the fob lock button, the "system" sends a short positive voltage to the connector to lock the hatch, and the white plastic lever moves in the locking direction. When I press the fob unlock button, the white lever is not moving to the unlock position, and there is no voltage sensed on the connector plug. I assume it might need a negative pulse to move the electromagnet solenoid in the opposite direction?

Now my question: Does anyone know what is the normal voltage this solenoid needs to unlock the lift gate? And, is the second other small connector for a circuit sensor to activate a "rear hatch open" light in the dash to alert the driver if the rear hatch is not latched correctly?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Cougler
15 Jeep GCL; 11 Jeep CL; 67 Jeep M725; 46 Willys CJ2A
18 Big Horn 2500 CTD 4x4
post #3 of 3 Old 10-07-2018, 08:16 PM
mjcougler
2015 WK 

liftgate latch troubleshooting

Bump.

Help. I'm still trying to trouble shoot the rear lift gate actuator. With the actuator connector disconnected, I measured a positive voltage and then a negative voltage jump/bump on my digital multimeter at the actuator connector when pressing the remote locking button and pressing the remote unlock button x2. But, it did not always lock or unlock the latch. I took the electronic portion of the locking mechanism off of the beefy/heavy duty mechanical part of the locking mechanism. and tested it again. Again, it did not always rotate the little lever back and forth. I found that Dorman P/N 746-263 is the OEM replacement @ around $140.

Tags
compass , hatch , stuck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in