2007 compass 2.4L vvt engine swap/change - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 11-21-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
boarding2008

2007 compass 2.4L vvt engine swap/change

TLDR: I have a friend with a 07 compass 2.4L VVT that has a terrible rod knock and low oil pressure. 4x4. Anything to note or be aware of if I decide to swap the engine with another.

Long version: I have a friend of a friend with an 07 compass with the 2.4L VVT 4x4 auto. She had it towed to my house after telling me it needed a starter, L and R lower control arms, and passenger front axle. Did all of that work and started it up. Instantly noticed an awful rod knock and then possibly camshaft timing ticking. She came back to pick it up and said it's been making that noise for a while.

She drives off and calls me not even a minute later saying "it's still not going over 20 mph".
I never knew it had this issue, but apparently it's been doing this for a while. CEL was on for 4 codes. Codes were related to camshaft B position, IAT, and O2 sensor.

Definitely has a rod knock with the oil pressure light going on and off as you accelerate and decelerate. Found a used engine with 80k miles for $250. If I go through with changing engines, is there anything to know or take note of before or during? Could the not going over 20 mph issue be related to anything else?

I've searched around this forum and elsewhere and was told this engine (2.4L GEMA) is reportedly very reliable. This engine has 125k miles. Is this likely due to lack of maintenance? I don't know her well, but wouldn't doubt it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in