Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2007 compass 2.4l with CVT / worse after serviced

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  skjeep 
#1 ·
A few weeks ago my compass started to hesitate on the initial acceleration. I changed the spark plugs that didn't help. A couple days ago it started making a whining noise only during acceleration at higher speeds. This noise did not occur in park.

This weekend I changed both trans filters and the fluid. It was pretty straightforward and was not hard to do. I used CVT fluid and I matched the amount that I took out.

Whatever I did I really messed things up. I can barely get out of the driveway and it makes a metal on metal sound.

I've got it parked and we'll be having it towed to have the transmission looked at.

Like I said everything went smoothly but I'm really kicking myself because now the car isn't even drivable.

Any idea what I might have done wrong? I feel like I just can't get a break. I can't afford to have somebody else fix it and I don't feel qualified to do it myself.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you use the CVT+4 fluid from the dealer? Filters OEM, or after market?

We just bought our son a 2012 Compass, and I had the dealer go through it.
They charged me $346 to change the motor oil, and also the CVT full service.

After the research, the CVT fluid is really expensive, and you need to make
a dipstick to get it right. 100* outside, $346 well spent. 0.02

I'd take it to the dealer, unless this dead forum has someone that can give you better
advice....

#3 ·
nothing was oem. I used STP CVT fluid which listed my vehicle.

I haven't received any dash lights but I scanned it and I get a p1607 code.

With a 150,000 miles I don't know if that transmission had ever been serviced before. The fluid was pretty dark with a fair amount of metal dust in it. somebody suggested that I keep the new filters but put the old fluid back in.

Thanks

#4 ·
A few weeks ago my compass started to hesitate on the initial acceleration. I changed the spark plugs that didn't help. A couple days ago it started making a whining noise only during acceleration at higher speeds. This noise did not occur in park.

This weekend I changed both trans filters and the fluid. It was pretty straightforward and was not hard to do. I used CVT fluid and I matched the amount that I took out.

Whatever I did I really messed things up. I can barely get out of the driveway and it makes a metal on metal sound.

I've got it parked and we'll be having it towed to have the transmission looked at.

Like I said everything went smoothly but I'm really kicking myself because now the car isn't even drivable.

Any idea what I might have done wrong? I feel like I just can't get a break. I can't afford to have somebody else fix it and I don't feel qualified to do it myself.

Thanks
Generally, if you change Trans fluid and filters on any vehicle and it doesn't drive anymore, you either used the wrong fluid, the wrong amount or the filter failed.

There is an o ring on the filter and they sometimes get stuck inside when removing the old one or get jammed up or cut when installing the new one. The filter then falls off, sucks air or splits and the transmission pump cavitates or can't build pressure.

#5 ·
Metal to metal is never good, just for grins have you called your local
dealer and see if they can work something out with you? I know my
dealer cut me a deal on the tie rod ends, because I've been out of
work since March 13th. $200 to replace all 4 tie rods with alignment.

I hate to say it, but might be worth a trip to the dealer.

#6 ·
I have an apt next week to have someone look at it. I am tempted to drain the new fluid and inspect the filters and see if anything stands out. I'd just reuse the fluid and put it back together.

Are there any pumps or motors that I might have unplugged?

I've gone through the whole process and can't understand what I did wrong.

The old o-ring came out with the used cooler filter. The drain pan filter will only go back together one way. One of the screws was longer than the others but I'm sure I installed correctly.

Thanks

#8 ·
p1607 is a low voltage code. With low voltage the TCU goes into limp-in.But has nothing to do with metal on metal sound.
Fluid level has to be EXACT. There is no guess/measure the drained fluid etc. Dipstick and fill graph is the only way.
If you do not have a dipstick you can go with a piece of just about anything flexible enough to be driven down the fill tube, hits the bottom, does not break or collapse... and can be measured . With trans temp at 80°F and engine idling in park the level should be between 1,25" and 1,5" At 190°F around 1,75"

The high speed whine can have various reasons. In most cases the fluid/filter replacement does not correct it. But depends on the situation.

The cooler filter is overlooked by lot of mechanics - they just drain the pan and replace the mesh screen - srainer in the pan. When the cooler filter gets clogged
the fluid runs thru bypass down to the pan and you have lack of lubrication in some vital parst of the tranny.
In most cases is the whine caused by the outer tappered bearing on the differential or the big 2 roller bearings on upper (outer) side of the both primary and secondary pulleys.

Your metal to metal noise - are you sure with the longer bolt? There is an oil pump just under the mesh strainer. It is chain driven from the input shaft. The longer bolt must be on its original location or it migt interfere with that. The length difference is 10mm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.