'09 Patriot 2wd, issues to look for? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-26-2021, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Ravenbar
2002 WJ 

Garage
'09 Patriot 2wd, issues to look for?

My sister just got an '09 Patriot for $500. The body's in good shape, although my brother noticed unloading it that the rear crossmember has some rust pinholes. It's also got an evap leak and ABS light.

It looks like I'll be the one doing most of the work on it, although my brother's a professional mechanic.

First off what parts am I looking at buying for the rear crossmember? Going in, I'm expecting to have to replace the crossmember, and upper and lower control arms on both side. The sway/stabilizer bar links also need to be replaced.

I haven't plugged in a code reader to check codes for the evap and ABS issues.

I drive a WJ(which needs it's own share of work), so a Patriot is totally out of my wheelhouse.

Project Thumper:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KD2QQF
Member of Fourth Coast Jeeps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-31-2021, 02:00 PM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenbar View Post
My sister just got an '09 Patriot for $500. The body's in good shape, although my brother noticed unloading it that the rear crossmember has some rust pinholes. It's also got an evap leak and ABS light.

It looks like I'll be the one doing most of the work on it, although my brother's a professional mechanic.

First off what parts am I looking at buying for the rear crossmember? Going in, I'm expecting to have to replace the crossmember, and upper and lower control arms on both side. The sway/stabilizer bar links also need to be replaced.

I haven't plugged in a code reader to check codes for the evap and ABS issues.

I drive a WJ(which needs it's own share of work), so a Patriot is totally out of my wheelhouse.
My understanding is this is a huge problem on this chassis and a lot of work to change . You may be able to fight FCA and get it done if there is still a pending recall. This page will list the part numbers.

https://chrysler.oemdtc.com/457/fron...compasspatriot

Good luck

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #3 of 4 Old 04-08-2021, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Ravenbar
2002 WJ 

Garage
Third time typing this so I'll be brief.

Our brother has second thoughts about his "pin hole in subframe" call and took a second look and pronounced it good enough. He'll be the one doing the state inspection, so that's good enough.

I have seen they'res a TSB for rear subframe rust. I don't see how it's a lot of work to change. It's a 2wd(FWD) model, so no drivetrain in the rear. Honestly, I see it as a long weekend project, replacing the upper/lower control arms and sway bar links(assuming that getting the bolts out is impossible.)

Project Thumper:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KD2QQF

post #4 of 4 Old 04-13-2021, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Ravenbar
2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post
My understanding is this is a huge problem on this chassis and a lot of work to change . You may be able to fight FCA and get it done if there is still a pending recall. This page will list the part numbers.

https://chrysler.oemdtc.com/457/fron...compasspatriot

Good luck
My brother had second thoughts about his seeing a pinhole in the subframe(thinking it was a factory hole, as he simply say a spot of light through the rusty subframe) and climbed under to check it out further. He determined it's fine for now. From when I climbed under to get a list of parts needed to replace it, I saw that has some fairly heavy rust, but nothing out of the ordinary for a frame on an 5yr+ vehicle in the far north of NY, where the state maintained roads are liberally dosed with salt at every opportunity(so they can justify a salt budget sufficient for the most extreme years.) County and local roads are usually only sand and no salt, as they're budget isn't as infinite as the state's seems to be.

Project Thumper:

KD2QQF

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in