Wrangler Unlimited - Frameless Soft Tops vs. Framed - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-15-2017, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
allix333

Wrangler Unlimited - Frameless Soft Tops vs. Framed

I just got my 2013 Wrangler Sport Unlimited on 11/25/2016... It came with a hard top on it and I definitely want to get a soft top for the summer. I just started looking into it more and it seems that the soft tops with frames, that are easier to get completely topless, are significantly more expensive than frameless tops. However, I'm seeing that most of the frameless tops are meant to be used as the bikini/safari style, rather than going completely topless. I also really love the fast back style on the 4 door wranglers, but it seems that style is only available with the frameless tops. I was kind of leaning towards a frameless top for my first summer, because they're significantly cheaper, then I could use the extra money to do some other small things to my Jeep.

I would love some opinions on soft tops from those of you who have 4 doors. Typically, I've always pictures the completely topless look... But the framless tops, you can usually take off the back and side windows, and I would also get one that can be folded or rolled back like a sunroof. Does this kill the topless vibe or is it still pretty similar? I don't have any experience with soft tops on a Wrangler Unlimited, so I need HELP, especially because I would love to order my soft top shortly. (I live in central PA, so I felt it was necessary to have the hard top for the annoying winters.) Is there a significant difference between the fold back and roll back tops, sunroof wise, for both noise and convenience? Is it a possibility to completely remove a frameless top or is it a pain? I am 5'2" so I would like to get something that I can handle on my own.

I posted links below to some of the FRAMELESS soft tops I have looked at so far... It wouldn't let me post the links since this is my first post, so there's the names and some information. Open to new suggestions and would love opinions on these ones!

OffRoad Heroes ($1,075 - 5 separate panels)

QuadraTop Adventure Top S ($650 - fold back sunroof) Calls to remove footman loops???

QuadraTop Adventure Top ($600)

Bestop Trektop NX ($830 - folds back like sunroof & removable back & side windows)

Bestop Trektop ($660 - rolls back & only back window is removable)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-15-2017, 05:42 PM
Bill123

2016 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I would recommend that you look at the Bestop NX. It's the fastback look, and should give you what you want. Plus, Bestop actually makes the stock tops for Jeep, so they will fit better. They are coming out with a zipperless version of the NX this spring/summer, so that may also be a good option for you. Don't just buy the cheapest one because you might just get what you pay for.

2016 Wrangler Unlimited
2.5" Teraflex Lift
305/70-17 Toyo Open Country AT2
Fuel Lethal Wheels
post #3 of 6 Old 02-15-2017, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
allix333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill123 View Post
I would recommend that you look at the Bestop NX. It's the fastback look, and should give you what you want. Plus, Bestop actually makes the stock tops for Jeep, so they will fit better. They are coming out with a zipperless version of the NX this spring/summer, so that may also be a good option for you. Don't just buy the cheapest one because you might just get what you pay for.
Bestop Trektop NX or is it a different NX? & they're only cheaper because they're frameless, I've heard good things about most of them. I'll have to keep that in mind though about the other style coming out!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

post #4 of 6 Old 02-16-2017, 07:09 AM
Eroc147
2014 JK Wrangler 

I am picking up a used Trektop NX w all hardware this weekend for $400. Only used one summer, purchased this time last year. I found it on the FB marketplace. Just a thought. You can also find brand new take off OEM soft tops for pretty inexpensive as well.

2014 JKURX, 2014 GC WK2 4x4 Summit Hemi; 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland, 2"bb, 31" bfg mt km2s
post #5 of 6 Old 02-16-2017, 07:55 AM
Bill123

2016 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by allix333 View Post
Bestop Trektop NX or is it a different NX? & they're only cheaper because they're frameless, I've heard good things about most of them. I'll have to keep that in mind though about the other style coming out!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
They're the same thing. Eroc147 had a good idea to buy a "used" one from someone. You can sometimes get a good deal, so it's worth looking around. There are cheaper tops on the market, but I really think that the Bestops are the best. When you consider how long you will have it, the price difference really isn't that much.

2016 Wrangler Unlimited
2.5" Teraflex Lift
305/70-17 Toyo Open Country AT2
Fuel Lethal Wheels
post #6 of 6 Old 02-16-2017, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
allix333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill123 View Post
They're the same thing. Eroc147 had a good idea to buy a "used" one from someone. You can sometimes get a good deal, so it's worth looking around. There are cheaper tops on the market, but I really think that the Bestops are the best. When you consider how long you will have it, the price difference really isn't that much.
They have a Supertop NX too, so I was just making sure you weren't referring to that. I looked up that Trektop Glide that's supposed to come out this spring and it looks perfect! It has the fast back look and the entire top folds back. I'm going to be really interested in that one, but I'm anticipating a hefty price tag on it! I've definitely seen that everyone seems to say Bestop are the best ones to get though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in