Wrangler Speakers - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-10-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Jessinator

Wrangler Speakers

I just had a local car stereo shop install a pair of Alpine SPV-65x-WRA speakers in the dash and roll bar of my 2017 2-door JK, along with a 1000 watt sub (2 12's in a sealed box) and an amp (Alpine KTA-30FW, 75 watts RMS x 4) and a head unit (Alpine i207-WRA).

To be completely honest, I really don't like how the SPV-65x-WRA speakers sound. They have a ton of 200-700hz, and they are a bit harsh in the 3.5k range, and they have very little crispiness up in the 14-16k range. They kind of sound like a bullhorn. In my opinion, a good speaker should be loud where our ears are not very sensitive, up in the 14-16k range, and softer in the 3.5k range where harshness occurs. I can correct some of this with the head unit's EQ, but it still ends up sounding weird, and the head unit reduces the volume going to the amp when you use the EQ to prevent clipping, so using the EQ extensively results in a signal that's not as loud.

The shop that installed the speakers will replace them within 30 days if I'm not satisfied, and these speakers were explicitly recommended by the shop as sounding good in the Jeep so I feel like it's partially not my fault. I just really don't want to be that guy and go back to the shop and tell them to pull the speakers back out if I don't have to, and I especially don't want to do that if it turns out that I'm just hearing the sound of the jeep cabin resonance or something. I was thinking I'd prefer some Hertz speakers. People say they are loud and bright which is exactly what I'm looking for.

Has anyone else installed these speakers? What did you think of them? Have you tried any other speakers? Do Jeeps just sound boomy and boxy and you have to deal with it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-11-2019, 08:52 AM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

There are numerous controls in that head unit. You need to go through and set everything up correctly or else it will sound muddy. In addition to the equalizer, you need to set up the crossovers, time correction, and Media Expander among other things.

Here is a pdf version of the manual.

http://support.alpine-usa.com/produc...209-WRA_EN.pdf

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-11-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Jessinator

Like I said, when I use the EQ to suck out all that 300-800 Hz it barely has any volume left. The head unit is very strict and it won't let you clip the signal in software, so if you use the EQ you're sacrificing volume.

So basically, you have to choose whether you want it to sound loud and like a bullhorn or soft and good.

post #4 of 12 Old 07-11-2019, 09:24 AM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

You need to set the crossovers etc up first before messing with the equalizer. You are trying to do everything with the eq and that is why you are getting terrible results.

RTFM

You have good equipment. You need to set it up correctly or if you don’t know how then go back to the shop.

post #5 of 12 Old 07-11-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Jessinator

The crossovers between the tweeters and midrange would have been installed by the shop, and the crossovers between the woofer and the rest are set. Not sure what you think could be changed. And for what it's worth, the crossover between the sub and component speakers only goes up to 200hz max, which isn't the part of the frequency spectrum I'm concerned with
post #6 of 12 Old 07-11-2019, 04:38 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

In the head and nit you set crossovers to limit flfrequencues going to various speakers. This is not the same thing as the crossovers of component systems that divide the frequencies between the tweeter and the woofer.

For example, in my Kenwood Head unit I send frequencies above 100 to the four main speakers and those below to my subwoofer.

You are on your own.

You are essentially complaining that you are wet and someone is suggesting you dry off with a towel and instead you splash more water on yourself while arguing that the towel is irrelevant

post #7 of 12 Old 07-11-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Jessinator

Could you tell me what you think I'm doing wrong? It sounds like you're worried about the crossovers? The active crossover between the sub and components is at 200hz and the crossover between the component speakers and tweeters is passive so I can't change it
post #8 of 12 Old 07-11-2019, 10:41 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Was your Jeep originally equipped with the premium sound system with the amplifier under the dash and a subwoofer in the rear? If so, is the amplifier bypassed correctly?

post #9 of 12 Old 07-12-2019, 01:53 AM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

What kind of amp do you have connected to your subwoofer? The amp you listed in your original post is only four channels.

post #10 of 12 Old 07-12-2019, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Jessinator

The Jeep wasn't equipped with the premium sound system. The subs are powered by a Kenwood XR-1000-1
post #11 of 12 Old 07-12-2019, 03:35 PM
yoyoyo109

2015 JK Wrangler 

Garage
What did they set your amplifier EQ's to? Check this panel on the amplifier:

95 YJ 4.0L 5 speed
15 JKU Hard Rock Rubicon 6 speed
post #12 of 12 Old 07-12-2019, 03:41 PM
yoyoyo109

2015 JK Wrangler 

Garage
You should have that panel set to: RCA, 4CH

Then per each channel: I recommend starting with your gain in the middle then adjust accordingly based on your radios volume, FILTER set to HP, set the FREQ juuuust above the 60. Your speakers respond from 65-22k, so you want to start with the low end of their potential and then adjust upwards to your preference

95 YJ 4.0L 5 speed
15 JKU Hard Rock Rubicon 6 speed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in