Why do jeeps get a bad wrap for ride and comfort? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Prot

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-11-2019, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifted07Duramax
1999 WJ 

Why do jeeps get a bad wrap for ride and comfort?

I’ve always wanted a jeep. I’ve had lifted trucks. Fast cars and suvs but never a jeep. Currently have a Mercedes C43.

I’ve Been told by 3 past owners that they loved their jeep but that steering, ride, and comfort weren’t very good at all.

I haven’t driven one yet. So what is it about the steering? Can something be done to make it better
I assume the ride can be taken care of with a food lift no?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-11-2019, 11:39 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Solid axles are stronger than independent suspension but that usually comes at the expense of ride quality. Older models with leaf springs ride rougher than newer ones with coil springs. The short wheel base also contributed to the rough ride, hence four door models riding better.

Bottom line is a four door JK or JL rides like a Cadillac compared to an old CJ.

I’ve taken my JKU on cross country trips without batting an eye whereas I wouldn’t want to do that when I had my YJ.
Spuke45 likes this.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-12-2019, 02:30 AM
Spuke45
2008 JK Wrangler 

Garage
LOve the ride love the drive love the JEEP No problems here. Ill take my jeep over anything else on the road. driving a truck now while im doing my Clutch and i hate it.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-12-2019, 05:19 AM
jabsther
2010 JK Wrangler 

Its all personnel preference on ride. I'd rather know/feel the road then feeling like I'm riding on air.
As for the steering, it is not as responsive as my wifes Rav4 or HL. Those as soon as the wheel is turning, the vehicle starts turning.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-12-2019, 09:29 AM
rsurran
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you buy a lifted Jeep on big tires, don't expect the factory ride to still be there. There will be noise. Many of us have grown accustomed to it so it's just part of the package along with a stiff ride and handling. We purposely made the decision to keep my wife's JK stock since it is our family vehicle. The ride is quiet and smooth. As was said earlier, you should really be looking for a stock Unlimited for a starting point.

2003 TJ 4.0L Freedom Edition, Flame Red, 5 spd., CAI, Warn, stinger, Hella/KC trail lights.
2013 JK Sport Black, Auto Trans, Bone Stock

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."
post #6 of 6 Old 03-12-2019, 09:48 AM
propped1

2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Just like anything, you dont have to retain stock. The aftermarket is insane for JKs. If you want a better ride, there are lots of things you can do that the only limitation is your budget. Want coilover and bypass shocks? Can get a kit from 5 or 6 manufacturers. Want long arms? Got a kit from 10-15 manufacturers. Want more caster for a lifted vehicle? got housings from 4 or 5 manufacturers. How much money you got? Haha.

Stock JKs ride as nice as the grand cherokees from before 2005 when they were solid axle. Even as good as my ifs WK. My dad was a GC fanatic... 94, 96, 99, 01, 06... Those were all live rear. except the 06. I still own that 06 and daily it. The WK2 is irs/ifs. My wife has the Durango which is a long WK2. You are not going to get that ride in a live axle vehicle. Its pretty plush.

My JK is quite customized and it turns corners and rides better than stock (stiffer springs, and custom tuned adj shocks). Still coil spring shock mid arm. The JLs ride better stock than JKs do. It depends on what youre used to. I dont mind the ride of a truck. I dont need to feel comforted when I'm driving the JK. Its what makes it different. Its not like any other vehicle and thats okay. Go drive a few and see if you feel the same way. If you dont like them, dont buy one.

4" lift, PR 44, PR 60, 5.13, 37 Toyo MT, ATX Slabs, Skids, PSC Big Bore, 2Way

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in