Wheel/tire question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-08-2019, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
bman21

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wheel/tire question

I have a 09 JKU with a 2.5 RC lift. I will be buying new wheels and tires soon. I am getting confused the more I look into wheels and tire size. I was looking at a 17x9 Pro Comp series 32 wheel that has a back spacing of 4.75 and an offset of -6.35mm. I am considering a 33-34in tire somewhere around there. Now my concern is rubbing with the tire or needing to re gear. I would like to stay away from having to re gear. I also have stock fenders and would like the tires to stick out just a tad nothing major. Any advice would be awesome like sizes of wheels or tires to stay away from.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-08-2019, 02:28 PM
RubiconFreedom
2017 JK Wrangler 

Here's a for instance:

Our 2017 has been lifted 2.75 inches (coils, shocks and a few small hardware additions) doing this one would have to adjust or allow for the sway bar end links if they haven't been included with the package. Once the jeep was up. we drove for 1 year on the factory wheels and tires until we locate a set of the reproduction hard rock wheels. These wheels measure 17 x 8.5 with a offset of 10mm.

Then just a few weeks ago we went with Nitto Ridge Grappler tires 285/75/17 (E) this pushed the wheel out slightly without obstructing anything. For the last week having these tires, I've been trying to find that sweet spot in the tires PSI.. the shop filled the tires to 35psi but I wasn't happy with that amount. I've read other say they have less psi in the tires to have a smoother ride.

Yesterday I tried 32psi and hated it. the jeep was all over the road and absolutely no acceleration. Ride may have been smooth but the get up and go suffered. This morning I took the tires up to 38psi and I'm happy to report I'm please with the outcome. Mind you this is on a jeep with 3.73 gears installed from the factory.

Moral of the story, if you're planning on going anything larger than 33 you will need to regear. If you have issues with rubbing, it either the sway bar end links, front lower air dam etc. Seeing how I removed the front air dam, I've not had any rubbing.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-08-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
bman21

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I’m ok with 33’s and I also have the same gears. Is that a positive or negative offset for your wheels? I was also considering dropping down to a 16x8 wheels since them and the tires are significantly cheaper. Would I still be alright?

post #4 of 9 Old 08-08-2019, 03:02 PM
RubiconFreedom
2017 JK Wrangler 

The manufactures site says: 17x8.5 with 5.2in Backspace (+10 offset) IMO if I could have I would have stayed with the factory 16 steels but the factory install tires sux. The other point.. while having the 2.75 lift and 16'' wheels with 31'' tires the jeep was a speedster and was getting great MPG for how it was lifted. we hovered around 18.9 city 23.4 highway. Now it bassackwards.. getting 14.8 city and 18.7 highway. So if you're thinking staying with 16's find the right tire or you'll bite the bullet on the MPG's.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-08-2019, 03:29 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
you might have the same gears but you do not have the same trans or motor. That year jeep needs a lot of gear and your MPG will be nothing like a 12+.

that year if its a auto would need at least 4.88s for 33 and 5.38s for 35s. Its the same trans in a Tj the 42L or if a manual could be a bit less. but this is FOR street not off road so gears do the most On the street.

THis year jeep much like a TJ just dont do well with larger tires. The latest jeeps have a lot more gears and much deeper 1st. its a night and day change, especially autos. The 12 + can roll 35s on 3.73 is min gear, 4.1 does ok and 4.56 it can tow well and have tons of power, but that is a 2012+.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-09-2019, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
bman21

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I see I didn’t realize that. I recently just got this 09 only had it for about a month.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-15-2019, 03:58 PM
propped1

2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
.....that year if its a auto would need at least 4.88s for 33 and 5.38s for 35s.....

THis year jeep much like a TJ just dont do well with larger tires. The latest jeeps have a lot more gears and much deeper 1st. its a night and day change, especially autos. The 12 + can roll 35s on 3.73 is min gear, 4.1 does ok and 4.56 it can tow well and have tons of power, but that is a 2012+.

As a 3.8 owner who has rolled 4.10, 4.88, and 5.13 The above statement is BS. And you should just NEVER tow with a JK anything more than a bike rack.

4.10 in a 3.8 auto rolls 33s fine. Even does pretty good with 4.88 and 37s. If you have a d30 you should never go over 5.13. 4.88 is safer. The pinion gear on a 5.38 in a d30 is about the size of a nickel lol.

My 3.8 with 4.88 or 5.13 with 37s would both go 90+, hold speed at 80, and accelerate exactly the same. The mpg on both was about 12.5mpg. 37s. 4" lift. Flashpaq 93 tune. If you have a 4" lift and 37s on a JK 90 is scary enough. If you want more than what a 4.88 will give you, go 8 cylinders. All JKs are slow. It doesnt matter the year.

4" lift, PR 44, PR 60, 5.13, 37 Toyo MT, ATX Slabs, Skids, PSC Big Bore, 2Way
post #8 of 9 Old 08-16-2019, 09:23 AM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by propped1 View Post
And you should just NEVER tow with a JK anything more than a bike rack.

Your statement is what is bull****. A two door is rated for 2,000 pounds and a four door is rated for 3,500 pounds. Utility trailers, small boats, etc. fit into this range.

My 2007 JKU was an automatic with 35ís and 5.13 gears
My 2014 JKU is an automatic with 35ís and 4.88 gears.

The 2014 tows my enclosed trailer better than my 2007 did.

Occasionally a mustang or Camaro tries to screw around with me in my 2014. I embarrass them. Of course it wasnít a GT350 or some such thing, but still, my setup is pretty good for being what it is and equipped like it is.

My 2014 is stable with plenty left at speeds higher than anyone should be driving in the US despite having good acceleration and towing.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-19-2019, 11:41 AM
propped1

2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Your statement is what is bull****. A two door is rated for 2,000 pounds and a four door is rated for 3,500 pounds. Utility trailers, small boats, etc. fit into this range.

My 2007 JKU was an automatic with 35ís and 5.13 gears
My 2014 JKU is an automatic with 35ís and 4.88 gears.

The 2014 tows my enclosed trailer better than my 2007 did.

Occasionally a mustang or Camaro tries to screw around with me in my 2014. I embarrass them. Of course it wasnít a GT350 or some such thing, but still, my setup is pretty good for being what it is and equipped like it is.

My 2014 is stable with plenty left at speeds higher than anyone should be driving in the US despite having good acceleration and towing.

First speaking of bull****, you arent beating a Camaro or Mustang in any Wrangler. They are lighter and more powerful so there is no way thats happening....

Second, the jeep tow package is class 2 and a 4 pin. 7 pin needed for trailer brakes which you will definitely need for 3500lbs. Probably a good idea to have a separate brake controller if you dont have upgraded brakes. It doesnt take much for a trailer to get to 3500 lbs, My 19' flatbed car trailer is 2500 with nothing on it. To tow next to nothing with a JK you need to put a few hundred in modifying it. While JK frames are strong the rear suspension is not. You could add bags, but now you cant take it offroad unless you spend on some pricey long travel ones.

Lastly, while Jeeps in the 12 up have good transmissions, none of them will last long towing anything. Chrysler transmissions suck. The sticks have clutch and throw out issues, Autos arent properly cooled and blow up. The only good Chrysler trans you can get right now is an AISIN in the 3500 and the 8 speed behind the hemis. The 8 speed shares a lot behind the pentastar, but the Hemi are beefier.

If you have a travel trailer fine. Easy 2000 lbs. Those military ones are 1500 with no upfitting and gear....

I was needing to tow more and more stuff after I bought my house, so I got a truck to do that. If you have a Wrangler, Boat, other toys.... Truck. Thats why they make them. The Jeep should be towed not tow. Its your vehicle, but as someone who had a bunch of issues with Wranglers..... Id bet it had a lot to do with racing mustangs, and towing with out brakes. lol

4" lift, PR 44, PR 60, 5.13, 37 Toyo MT, ATX Slabs, Skids, PSC Big Bore, 2Way

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in