What's a good Reusable air filter that's not oil based? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kruzin
  • 1 Post By cranbiz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
vicker
2011 JK Wrangler 

What's a good Reusable air filter that's not oil based?

Looking at a reusable air filter and I see some get oiled and some don't. Might get it in a cold air intake or just using the factory housing. Looking to squeeze out a few extra mpg. What's everyone's opinion on it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 07:43 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Wasting your time. And really wasting your $ if you do a CAI.
The factory air box and filters are quite efficient. "Performance" air filters will just let more dirt and dust into the engine and give you zero benefits.
But, if you do go that route, avoid oiled filters like the plague. The oil messes with and clogs up the MAF sensor.
Kev M likes this.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
vicker
2011 JK Wrangler 

Looking to avoid the filters with oil

post #4 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 11:04 AM
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

When oiling or recharging our K&N I would drop in the STP air filter (autozone) and run this for a few days while the K&N cures. We've had this STP filter for 2 years.

Semi-Retired Sr. Mechanical Assembler & Sr. Quality Assurance Inspector for Aerospace Industry
post #5 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 11:15 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Like another posted said, the stock setup is remarkably efficient. Putting on a CAI is a waste of time and money and will possibly cause damage to your engine.

Any filter that provides more airflow to the motor, by definition, has to filter particulates less.

You are not going to get any additional MPG with this mod. Match your tire size to the gear ration and drive like Miss Daisy and you will get decent mileage.
Kev M likes this.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #6 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 11:22 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
total waist of money. especially here, paper and replace as needed. mine its every 3k. MPG with that year auto will be best with stock size tire #1. That year auto needs all of its 3.73 gears to do it well on stock tires. so if say you put on 33s or worse yet 35s and now MPG is like a 70s pickup. The only fix is gears, you cant tune your way out it or add headers or anything else. if your stock your as good as it gets in a jeep. i mean that should get what at least 17mpg? heck even the latest ones dont do much better. our 12jk did 19 at best on stock 32. but it is a Rubi and they did get at least 1/2mpg less then the other that year if they came with 4.1 and auto. still not bad for a heep.

Most any gain with air intake will be the far end of the RPM range As well NONE of these systems even pull cold air, meaning air out side of the engine bay. So the claim of COLD air? yea not true. the 3.8 dont run all that well at its end RPM range. they just dont breath all that well at say 5+rpms. even if it did the system has room anyway. power falls after 5k do to being push rod and no VVT. no cold air will change that. might as well add magnets to fuel lines and other gimmicks that they sell.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 11:45 AM
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

For what it's worth, I've had this same K&N filter for 10 years installed on 3 different JK wranglers. The purchase price back then was $45.00 via the K&N site. Never had the desire to want a cold air intake, just a drop in lifetime filter. Using or reusing the same filter has saved us a few hundred dollars over those 10 years. The clue is not to over clean or over spray the filter with the recharging fluid and allow it to cure for at least 24 hours.. I tend to allow 1 week of curing and wipe off any excess spray from around the filter. It's never cause any issues with any of our vehicles. Furthermore, that's one less paper filter in our landfills unless someone has a tip on recycling these paper filters.

Semi-Retired Sr. Mechanical Assembler & Sr. Quality Assurance Inspector for Aerospace Industry
post #8 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
vicker
2011 JK Wrangler 

I'm not really expecting a big performance boost out of the cold air intake. honestly I like the sound from The increased airflow, I like the way it looks and I like the idea of a rechargeable medium. although I rather not use the oil and I know they make dry reusable air filters.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 08:18 PM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
The oil messes with and clogs up the MAF sensor.
True, but only on vehicles that have a MAF sensor.

2008 JKU Rubicon
42RLE Auto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in