What do you love/hate about your JK? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 91 Old 12-17-2012, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
josephmartins
Long-time Jeep Nut

2001 WJ 

What do you love/hate about your JK?

Good afternoon all,

If someone knows of a thread about what members love, hate and wish was different about their JK would you please point me to it. Search turned up zip which surprised me.

I'd like to know the features--standard or optional--that actual owners feel were worth the money, and the stuff they feel was crap or at least in need of serious improvement. Post titles have been a great resource, but it'd be nice to have this information in a single thread.

Kind regards,

Joe Martins
Milford, NH

12 Wrangler Sahara JK8, 01 WJ Limited, 96 XJ Classic, 00 XJ Sport, 90 XJ Wagoneer, 97 ZJ Limited, 5.2, 98 ZJ Limited, 5.2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 Old 12-17-2012, 02:05 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
carpet= worthless in a jeep that sees any real trail time or dogs or both.

rear seat= i would have deleted it

that sub box in the back= is in the way of gear at times. makes it harder to get my tire out too. i strap it down to the tube most the time and my swingaway i take off unless i need it.

i wont get int o the other threads there are mostly are for flamming a Jk. people will ask for a standard jeep that is a rubi, but want it for the price of a sport, never ending i want desiel, a hemi etc.

the only real option is a Rubi and now that half a rubi Moab edition with a rear locker. all other trim levels are just TRIM. paint and leather seats cool stickers of yeti's or other. At least withthe rubi you get real mechanical upgrades and the sticker.

but in the end each users has a need and wants in each jeep is personal choices. Jeep makes most there money on people that only want the Jeep look and really could care less about lockers 4:1 low etc. matter of fact here i have seen a topic were the op could not understand why he can not use 4x4 on the street all his other AWD do. perhaps jeep needs to go with center locking dif? I would not want it but i would be the majority would.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 91 Old 12-17-2012, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
josephmartins
Long-time Jeep Nut

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Totally agree about the carpet. Impossible to keep it clean even with something like my Husky liners. There's never 100% coverage. Only option is to rip it out and rubberize. Too bad it's not a factory option....like the flooring in a Honda Element

Kind regards,

Joe Martins
Milford, NH

12 Wrangler Sahara JK8, 01 WJ Limited, 96 XJ Classic, 00 XJ Sport, 90 XJ Wagoneer, 97 ZJ Limited, 5.2, 98 ZJ Limited, 5.2

post #4 of 91 Old 12-17-2012, 02:19 PM
smartbutlazy374
2011 JK Wrangler 

I feel a diesel storm brewing.. I like my jk as it is. Just wish it came with 4.10s (like the rubi)

"This is why you do all your mods before you get a wife." - WhiteOut

"I have come to the conclusion that the wave is NOT a Jeep thing- it is a WHEELER thing." -N2rock
post #5 of 91 Old 12-17-2012, 02:24 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephmartins View Post
Totally agree about the carpet. Impossible to keep it clean even with something like my Husky liners. There's never 100% coverage. Only option is to rip it out and rubberize. Too bad it's not a factory option....like the flooring in a Honda Element
jeep must know we remove carpet. there are stickers on the tunnel thats say "HOT" and it does get rather warm there too. as for rubber coating not me in a 100 years. thats stuff is harder to clean than just the metal. I pull the plugs and power washed out. just do not wash the dash. were i live nothing will rust fast enough that you will be long dead before anything rusts through out here. at least it is VERY easy to remove the carpet.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #6 of 91 Old 12-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
I would debate this depending on the trails you do. If you are talking snow, sand, or dry dirt the carpet is vacuumable, and you can lift it up for any that sneaks under the seperations. Mud? forget it, ditch the carpet as you will spend HOURS cleaning even with scotchguard liberally applied.

Vacuuming of course ties to how much effort you want to spend on it. I know some who beach their jeeps and take the carpet out so they don't have to vacuum, garden hose special in under 5 minutes. I could care less about carpet being sound padding as I try to take the doors and top off as much as possible.

From my recent Unlimited Rubicon purchase, some of the options:
  • Automatic Temp Control - purchased - quaint, but useless
  • Side Airbags - I did not see the point at all. The bag deploys from the seat which seems it would shove my arm forward when deployed, not to mention lack of doors makes it pretty useless.
  • Towing - includes stiffer springs, frame mounted hitch and 4 pin wiring - I woulda done it anyway, and this is a nice factory wiring I don't have to fight.
  • Painted Hardtop and flares - You are going to scratch them offroad, and the fender has a mold seem on the front that will show with lighter paint colors. Plus I don't feel painted flares and top feel very Jeep.

Rubicon Package - Stronger d44 axles, factory lockers, swaybar disconnect, rock rails, BFG KM tires with new wheel design, Premium Alpine Audio

I found the audio "ok" with the top on, and unacceptable at volume to defeat road noise. Do not expect miracles despite the premium name.

The factory rock rails are ok for light impacts/scrapes, but if you seriously work rock crawling you will want to replace it with something stronger.

The larger axles are a bit stronger than the other options with larger shafts, ring gears and spline count. Factory lockers work fairly well and the swaybar disconnect is just convenient. I've seen several people rolling 37s with the factory axle setup without breaking. The only weak point is the front knuckle.
post #7 of 91 Old 12-17-2012, 04:12 PM
varnerme
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demp

I would debate this depending on the trails you do. If you are talking snow, sand, or dry dirt the carpet is vacuumable, and you can lift it up for any that sneaks under the seperations. Mud? forget it, ditch the carpet as you will spend HOURS cleaning even with scotchguard liberally applied.

Vacuuming of course ties to how much effort you want to spend on it. I know some who beach their jeeps and take the carpet out so they don't have to vacuum, garden hose special in under 5 minutes. I could care less about carpet being sound padding as I try to take the doors and top off as much as possible.

From my recent Unlimited Rubicon purchase, some of the options:
[*]Automatic Temp Control - purchased - quaint, but useless[*]Side Airbags - I did not see the point at all. The bag deploys from the seat which seems it would shove my arm forward when deployed, not to mention lack of doors makes it pretty useless.[*]Towing - includes stiffer springs, frame mounted hitch and 4 pin wiring - I woulda done it anyway, and this is a nice factory wiring I don't have to fight.[*]Painted Hardtop and flares - You are going to scratch them offroad, and the fender has a mold seem on the front that will show with lighter paint colors. Plus I don't feel painted flares and top feel very Jeep.

Rubicon Package - Stronger d44 axles, factory lockers, swaybar disconnect, rock rails, BFG KM tires with new wheel design, Premium Alpine Audio

I found the audio "ok" with the top on, and unacceptable at volume to defeat road noise. Do not expect miracles despite the premium name.

The factory rock rails are ok for light impacts/scrapes, but if you seriously work rock crawling you will want to replace it with something stronger.

The larger axles are a bit stronger than the other options with larger shafts, ring gears and spline count. Factory lockers work fairly well and the swaybar disconnect is just convenient. I've seen several people rolling 37s with the factory axle setup without breaking. The only weak point is the front knuckle.
What's wrong with the automatic temp control?

1995 YJ
2013 JKUR
post #8 of 91 Old 12-17-2012, 06:13 PM
zenman
2013 JK Wrangler 

I traded in a 2011 GMC Sierra Extended cab pickup for my 2012 JK 2 dr Dozier and like the Jeep better. Certainly a lot easier to zip around and park. I can survive without an extended cab and truck bed.

I never plan on rock crawling so I like it stock and with on/off road tires. It's at the perfect height for me to get in and slide out. The V6 is great for road use and I drive 70-75 to and from work. I don't want a noisy, smelly diesel. I would like to add bumpers, winch, snorkel, and new tires for looks and for occasional off road to a fishing trail, big old snowstorm, and SHTF situations.
post #9 of 91 Old 12-17-2012, 07:55 PM
FreeLantz
Are we havin' fun yet?

2013 JK Wrangler 

I love everything about mine so far except the leaks. The soft top leaks badly at the windshield, it doesn't seem to fit as snugly as the new Wranglers I see on dealer lots. This makes me wonder if my top is not original to the Jeep. I'll eventually buy a hard top. Other than that issue, I am loving my JK so far.

David Lantz
2013 JKU Rubicon 10th Anniversary
Co-President, Texas Four Wheel Drive Organization - Sugar Land Chapter
facebook.com/groups/TX4WDSL
post #10 of 91 Old 12-17-2012, 08:09 PM
ozjeep

2011 JK Wrangler 

I love everything about mine besides driving it on the highway. For some reason, driving it on the highway just stresses me out.

2011 Wrangler JK
post #11 of 91 Old 12-17-2012, 08:13 PM
jeepcouple
2012 JK Wrangler 

My wife and I love our 2012 2 dr Wrangler. Really like the heated seats.

Not much to complain about.......coffee cup holder too deep for small coffee and dome light doesn't do it for me. Installed a cheap 110V nightlight below the armrest and put a roll of electric tape in the bottom of the coffee cup holder.

I kind of think that individual (removable) reclining bucket seats might be nice in the back.

A 5.7 goes without mention.
post #12 of 91 Old 12-17-2012, 08:26 PM
kappaknight
2013 JK Wrangler 

I had an 2004 TJ that I loved despite its lack of amenities and I scuffed at the JK's when they were released a few years ago. I now own a 2013 JKUR and it is absolutely perfect. Well, perfect in the sense that I will still mod and tweak almost every single aspect of it, but a great platform to start with nonetheless.
post #13 of 91 Old 12-17-2012, 08:33 PM
fitzz47
2013 JK Wrangler 

Track bar bolts,haven"t been fixed in 7 years of production

2015 GC Attitude Black
2015 Wrangler Sahara Hydro Blue
post #14 of 91 Old 12-17-2012, 09:13 PM
WinTech

2008 JK Wrangler 

Along with the track bar bolts, plastic ball joints you cant grease...pitiful.
post #15 of 91 Old 12-17-2012, 10:22 PM
djm
2013 JK Wrangler 

I love my Jeeps, only problem with the 2012 JKU is the stupid roof leak. Been back to dealer 3 times now ...getting ready to invoke the NJ lemon law.....other than that love it.

Dan NJ/PA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in