JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   What do you love/hate about your JK? (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/what-do-you-love-hate-about-your-jk-1451246/)

josephmartins 12-17-2012 01:48 PM

What do you love/hate about your JK?
 
Good afternoon all,

If someone knows of a thread about what members love, hate and wish was different about their JK would you please point me to it. Search turned up zip which surprised me.

I'd like to know the features--standard or optional--that actual owners feel were worth the money, and the stuff they feel was crap or at least in need of serious improvement. Post titles have been a great resource, but it'd be nice to have this information in a single thread.

222Doc 12-17-2012 02:05 PM

carpet= worthless in a jeep that sees any real trail time or dogs or both.

rear seat= i would have deleted it

that sub box in the back= is in the way of gear at times. makes it harder to get my tire out too. i strap it down to the tube most the time and my swingaway i take off unless i need it.

i wont get int o the other threads there are mostly are for flamming a Jk. people will ask for a standard jeep that is a rubi, but want it for the price of a sport, never ending i want desiel, a hemi etc.

the only real option is a Rubi and now that half a rubi Moab edition with a rear locker. all other trim levels are just TRIM. paint and leather seats cool stickers of yeti's or other. At least withthe rubi you get real mechanical upgrades and the sticker.

but in the end each users has a need and wants in each jeep is personal choices. Jeep makes most there money on people that only want the Jeep look and really could care less about lockers 4:1 low etc. matter of fact here i have seen a topic were the op could not understand why he can not use 4x4 on the street all his other AWD do. perhaps jeep needs to go with center locking dif? I would not want it but i would be the majority would.

josephmartins 12-17-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 222Doc (Post 14626315)
carpet= worthless in a jeep that sees any real trail time or dogs or both.

Totally agree about the carpet. Impossible to keep it clean even with something like my Husky liners. There's never 100% coverage. Only option is to rip it out and rubberize. Too bad it's not a factory option....like the flooring in a Honda Element

smartbutlazy374 12-17-2012 02:19 PM

I feel a diesel storm brewing.. I like my jk as it is. Just wish it came with 4.10s (like the rubi)

222Doc 12-17-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josephmartins (Post 14626377)
Totally agree about the carpet. Impossible to keep it clean even with something like my Husky liners. There's never 100% coverage. Only option is to rip it out and rubberize. Too bad it's not a factory option....like the flooring in a Honda Element

jeep must know we remove carpet. there are stickers on the tunnel thats say "HOT" and it does get rather warm there too. as for rubber coating not me in a 100 years. thats stuff is harder to clean than just the metal. I pull the plugs and power washed out. just do not wash the dash. were i live nothing will rust fast enough that you will be long dead before anything rusts through out here. at least it is VERY easy to remove the carpet.

Demp 12-17-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 222Doc (Post 14626315)
carpet= worthless in a jeep that sees any real trail time or dogs or both.

I would debate this depending on the trails you do. If you are talking snow, sand, or dry dirt the carpet is vacuumable, and you can lift it up for any that sneaks under the seperations. Mud? forget it, ditch the carpet as you will spend HOURS cleaning even with scotchguard liberally applied.

Vacuuming of course ties to how much effort you want to spend on it. I know some who beach their jeeps and take the carpet out so they don't have to vacuum, garden hose special in under 5 minutes. I could care less about carpet being sound padding as I try to take the doors and top off as much as possible.

From my recent Unlimited Rubicon purchase, some of the options:
  • Automatic Temp Control - purchased - quaint, but useless
  • Side Airbags - I did not see the point at all. The bag deploys from the seat which seems it would shove my arm forward when deployed, not to mention lack of doors makes it pretty useless.
  • Towing - includes stiffer springs, frame mounted hitch and 4 pin wiring - I woulda done it anyway, and this is a nice factory wiring I don't have to fight.
  • Painted Hardtop and flares - You are going to scratch them offroad, and the fender has a mold seem on the front that will show with lighter paint colors. Plus I don't feel painted flares and top feel very Jeep.

Rubicon Package - Stronger d44 axles, factory lockers, swaybar disconnect, rock rails, BFG KM tires with new wheel design, Premium Alpine Audio

I found the audio "ok" with the top on, and unacceptable at volume to defeat road noise. Do not expect miracles despite the premium name.

The factory rock rails are ok for light impacts/scrapes, but if you seriously work rock crawling you will want to replace it with something stronger.

The larger axles are a bit stronger than the other options with larger shafts, ring gears and spline count. Factory lockers work fairly well and the swaybar disconnect is just convenient. I've seen several people rolling 37s with the factory axle setup without breaking. The only weak point is the front knuckle.

varnerme 12-17-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demp

I would debate this depending on the trails you do. If you are talking snow, sand, or dry dirt the carpet is vacuumable, and you can lift it up for any that sneaks under the seperations. Mud? forget it, ditch the carpet as you will spend HOURS cleaning even with scotchguard liberally applied.

Vacuuming of course ties to how much effort you want to spend on it. I know some who beach their jeeps and take the carpet out so they don't have to vacuum, garden hose special in under 5 minutes. I could care less about carpet being sound padding as I try to take the doors and top off as much as possible.

From my recent Unlimited Rubicon purchase, some of the options:
[*]Automatic Temp Control - purchased - quaint, but useless[*]Side Airbags - I did not see the point at all. The bag deploys from the seat which seems it would shove my arm forward when deployed, not to mention lack of doors makes it pretty useless.[*]Towing - includes stiffer springs, frame mounted hitch and 4 pin wiring - I woulda done it anyway, and this is a nice factory wiring I don't have to fight.[*]Painted Hardtop and flares - You are going to scratch them offroad, and the fender has a mold seem on the front that will show with lighter paint colors. Plus I don't feel painted flares and top feel very Jeep.


Rubicon Package - Stronger d44 axles, factory lockers, swaybar disconnect, rock rails, BFG KM tires with new wheel design, Premium Alpine Audio

I found the audio "ok" with the top on, and unacceptable at volume to defeat road noise. Do not expect miracles despite the premium name.

The factory rock rails are ok for light impacts/scrapes, but if you seriously work rock crawling you will want to replace it with something stronger.

The larger axles are a bit stronger than the other options with larger shafts, ring gears and spline count. Factory lockers work fairly well and the swaybar disconnect is just convenient. I've seen several people rolling 37s with the factory axle setup without breaking. The only weak point is the front knuckle.

What's wrong with the automatic temp control?

zenman 12-17-2012 06:13 PM

I traded in a 2011 GMC Sierra Extended cab pickup for my 2012 JK 2 dr Dozier and like the Jeep better. Certainly a lot easier to zip around and park. I can survive without an extended cab and truck bed.

I never plan on rock crawling so I like it stock and with on/off road tires. It's at the perfect height for me to get in and slide out. The V6 is great for road use and I drive 70-75 to and from work. I don't want a noisy, smelly diesel. I would like to add bumpers, winch, snorkel, and new tires for looks and for occasional off road to a fishing trail, big old snowstorm, and SHTF situations. :cheers2:

FreeLantz 12-17-2012 07:55 PM

I love everything about mine so far except the leaks. The soft top leaks badly at the windshield, it doesn't seem to fit as snugly as the new Wranglers I see on dealer lots. This makes me wonder if my top is not original to the Jeep. I'll eventually buy a hard top. Other than that issue, I am loving my JK so far.

ozjeep 12-17-2012 08:09 PM

I love everything about mine besides driving it on the highway. For some reason, driving it on the highway just stresses me out.

jeepcouple 12-17-2012 08:13 PM

My wife and I love our 2012 2 dr Wrangler. Really like the heated seats.

Not much to complain about.......coffee cup holder too deep for small coffee and dome light doesn't do it for me. Installed a cheap 110V nightlight below the armrest and put a roll of electric tape in the bottom of the coffee cup holder.

I kind of think that individual (removable) reclining bucket seats might be nice in the back.

A 5.7 goes without mention.

kappaknight 12-17-2012 08:26 PM

I had an 2004 TJ that I loved despite its lack of amenities and I scuffed at the JK's when they were released a few years ago. I now own a 2013 JKUR and it is absolutely perfect. Well, perfect in the sense that I will still mod and tweak almost every single aspect of it, but a great platform to start with nonetheless. :)

fitzz47 12-17-2012 08:33 PM

Track bar bolts,haven"t been fixed in 7 years of production

WinTech 12-17-2012 09:13 PM

Along with the track bar bolts, plastic ball joints you cant grease...pitiful.

djm 12-17-2012 10:22 PM

I love my Jeeps, only problem with the 2012 JKU is the stupid roof leak. Been back to dealer 3 times now ...getting ready to invoke the NJ lemon law.....other than that love it.

Dan NJ/PA


The time now is 10:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.