• 1 Post By metalhead
  • 1 Post By rikkards
  • 2 Post By Kruzin
  • 1 Post By jscherb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 07-31-2021, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
RainyLake
2012 JK Wrangler 

What do you keep in your lifted Jeep for tire changes?

I have a 4 inch lift and 37's on my JK. Today I found a giant bolt punctured right through my tire, but due to my complete lack of planning, I didn't have enough blocking in my Jeep to let rhe stock screw jack lift even touch the frame let alone get enough lift to change the tire. So I limped home with a loud "click click" and fingers crossed for 20 miles until I could get back to my floor jack and wood blocks. I asked a tire shop on the way, but they said that due to the "off road modifications" they couldn't even put it on their lift to change the tire for me, so I couldn't even put on the spare let alone get it repaired.

Wondering what you guys keep in your vechicles - wood, bottle jacks, hilift, or what, to keep you from getting into the same situation as me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-31-2021, 03:48 PM
metalhead
2011 WK 

Haven't lifted my wrangler yet but my grand cherokee is lifted 2 inches. I use a bottle jack and made a tall platform out of plywood to sit the jack on top of so it will be able to lift the tire off the ground just enough to get it off.
RainyLake likes this.

1994 YJ (Gone)
2000 Grand Cherokee WJ (Gone)
2011 Grand Cherokee WK2
2012 Wrangler Unlimited JK
post #3 of 15 Old 07-31-2021, 04:08 PM
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Bottle Jack should be sufficient. Hi lift are a poor choice for tire changes
RainyLake likes this.

Machete don't tweet
- Machete

post #4 of 15 Old 07-31-2021, 04:58 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Stock jack is more than enough.

Don't try to jack it up by the frame, jack it up by the axle at the spring perch. There's no reason to ever jack up a solid axle vehicle by the frame just to change a tire, that's way more work than is necessary. Jacking it up at the axle removes the need to jack it past the spring droop, you only need to go a few inches.

Hi-lift jacks are dangerous in general and horrible for changing tires.
RainyLake and Shark_13 like this.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #5 of 15 Old 07-31-2021, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
RainyLake
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
Stock jack is more than enough.

Don't try to jack it up by the frame, jack it up by the axle at the spring perch. There's no reason to ever jack up a solid axle vehicle by the frame just to change a tire, that's way more work than is necessary. Jacking it up at the axle removes the need to jack it past the spring droop, you only need to go a few inches.

Hi-lift jacks are dangerous in general and horrible for changing tires.
Yeah, jacking right at the axle would be a way better use of limited range of motion, makes sense. Wasn't thinking clearly, too pissed that I had a frickin' bolt in my tire I guess!
post #6 of 15 Old 08-01-2021, 10:33 AM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

The amount of lift you have installed is irrelevant to jacking it up. The only increase in axle height is from increased tire size. If your stock tires were 32” for example and you now have 37” tires, then the axle was only raised by 2.5”. The stock jack handle it. But if you don’t want to extend the jack as high both in terms of work and stability. AEV makes a plastic block that is made for the scissor jack to fit into and it stores in the rear cubby.

What you will need for most aftermarket wheels is a thin wall socket. I use gorilla nuts, so I have that splined tool for the four wheels and a thin walled socket for the spare. I also keep a long breaker bar with me. The gorilla nut stuff lined socket has two sizes of nuts on the drive end. The socket I use fir the spare fits on the gorilla nut spline tool.

And that tire shop you went to is probably staffed by weaklings who can’t manhandle a 37” tire. Go somewhere else. I never even heard of such nonsense.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-01-2021, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
RainyLake
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
The amount of lift you have installed is irrelevant to jacking it up.

And that tire shop you went to is probably staffed by weaklings who can’t manhandle a 37” tire. Go somewhere else. I never even heard of such nonsense.
LMAO. And yes, point taken about the lift. Dunno why I was thinking to jack the frame instead of the axle, too much time working on my wife's Civic lately I guess. D'oh.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-08-2021, 06:43 AM
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I keep a hydraulic jack and a block of wood in my floor compartment. The jack goes on the block to give it enough height.

"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford
post #9 of 15 Old 08-08-2021, 12:17 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
My 12 JKR is on 37s lift dont matter but with a HL it will with the 6" down travel at about 2 feet to say the rock slider bar. you going to be way out on that HL.

You have S jack in the back of that JK right now that works. A small bottle jack fits right in the same place perfectly now you have two choices they both fit in there like glove. the S jack is great for tight places bottle is better lifting. I always as well pack a 4x6x10 and two 2x4x10s. That is all i have ever needed.

Yea a HL to say fix a bead on the trail or change a tire. never unless there is no other way and i have not seen that happen say in just ten years of running nothing but trails. Retired so i dont have much a life. Packing up right now for Dusy Ershem. Not to many places in the USA compare to it. Not even the Rubicon. Not saying we never used one. But it like the last thing on the planet i look for about. Unless we are pulling fence post, then nothing is better then a HL, really it is a Farm tool. THere has been like 3 times in my life on a trail where we needed that and it ended up being the only solution. We needed it for parts to get a jeep moving again on the trail. All had broke say a drag link or tie rod. the bar is great for that if you have the bolts to fit. Its not tight may get DW but not getting out to a trailer. Matter of fact after having a jeep break this spring on the Rubicon trail that unless not for our great friend and club members skills would have been FUBAR. He did not have a HL but welding rods and a mask. Had to use three batteries to get enough amps two would only get bugger welds. rods were 1/8. 3 batteries was a bit hot so the welds were good penetration. What broke was a a track bar mount on the front axle ripped away. we had 10 jeeps so we had enough batteries. everyone should have cables enough to string this set up out. BUT someone needs to bring a pack of welding rods....oh and dark glass... saved the run really.... so i would give you 5 HL for one welding rod? I mean just about everyone packs the darn things. But need a axle? they dont have that....even a U joint, nope....got a HL though........

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-08-2021, 07:22 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
I keep a hydraulic jack and a block of wood in my floor compartment. The jack goes on the block to give it enough height.

Tell us about that floor compartment. It looks kind of nice.

post #11 of 15 Old 08-08-2021, 07:39 PM
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Tell us about that floor compartment. It looks kind of nice.

The floor compartment replaces the passenger side of the rear seat.

It uses a prototype hardware kit that includes a bracket the supports the drivers side of the seat once the passenger side is removed, plus corner brackets for the compartment that makes it easy to bolt a compartment together out of fairly simple pieces of plywood.

Prot likes this.

"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford
post #12 of 15 Old 08-12-2021, 02:02 PM
glennbaz
2012 JK Wrangler 

changing tire question

Now that you have solutions on jacking up your vehicle, and not trying to hi-jack the tread, just how do fellow jeepers lift a 100lb tire and place it back on the spare tire mount? 2 people I see no problem, by myself I see mucho problemo. I was contemplating using the winch cable over the top of the rig to help lift the tire back up. Any other ideas?
Thanks
Glenn
post #13 of 15 Old 08-13-2021, 10:23 AM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbaz View Post
Now that you have solutions on jacking up your vehicle, and not trying to hi-jack the tread, just how do fellow jeepers lift a 100lb tire and place it back on the spare tire mount? 2 people I see no problem, by myself I see mucho problemo. I was contemplating using the winch cable over the top of the rig to help lift the tire back up. Any other ideas?
Thanks
Glenn
Never use tires you can’t handle. For most people this is 35”

Your winch idea deserves a WTF reply.

I struggled with a 35” recently. The thing to do is pick it up, rest it on something then go an additional lift to slide it on.

post #14 of 15 Old 08-13-2021, 02:22 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, the winch isn't the best idea. I will admit that I did think of that briefly myself but quickly let that idea die.

I have 37's on steel bead locks. That tire weight in around 135 lbs. If I don't have help, I use my hi-lift. I have the tire hooks for it. Hook the tire, jack it up to the carrier. Not ideal but when by myself, it works.

02 WJ Laredo, heavily optioned but stock
12 JK, 3.5" Teraflex/Franken lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #15 of 15 Old 08-14-2021, 05:10 AM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
Yeah, the winch isn't the best idea. I will admit that I did think of that briefly myself but quickly let that idea die.

I have 37's on steel bead locks. That tire weight in around 135 lbs. If I don't have help, I use my hi-lift. I have the tire hooks for it. Hook the tire, jack it up to the carrier. Not ideal but when by myself, it works.
For me although the weight was part of the issue, the biggest problem was getting the holes in the wheel to line up with the studs on the carrier. If the studs on the carrier were longer, it would be a lot easier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in