• 1 Post By RubiconFreedom
  • 2 Post By Prot
  • 2 Post By 222Doc
  • 1 Post By RubiconFreedom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-18-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
bxpackman

Urgent: Need opinions on this 17' JKR HardRock

Visited a dealership today for a 2017 JK Rubicon HardRock.

30,955 Miles. Carfax clean. Autocheck clean. Nada value matches closely to dealership cash price of $33,800 (Not including taxes and fees of of course.). Warranty still active too (see pictures below). Underside looks good. Some slight rust on the drive shaft but I read that’s normal. Gear ratio is 3.73. Car has been in Texas based on Carfax and Autocheck reports. Also 3.2% on the vehicle financing....Any thoughts on the price?

Question: Do you think it’s worth it to get an extended warranty (from IWS)? I work from home during the week so my mileage is going to be really freaking low. I’m talking less than 30-40 total miles/week. I’ll be mostly on the streets till I throw a a lift kit and some tires on but I might begin to hit some soft trails till then.

Let me know what you guys think. I am a newbie and learning daily. Thank you!

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1965.jpg   IMG_1956.jpg   IMG_1958.jpg   IMG_1959.jpg   IMG_1960.jpg  

IMG_1962.jpg   IMG_1963.jpg   IMG_1964.jpg  

Austin,TX
Searching for a 2013-2017 Rubicon (2 Dr)
>50K Miles
Purchase date: July/Aug 19'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-19-2019, 08:01 AM
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

Although this vehicle would be considered extremely clean, I would say its about 3K - 5K over priced. But you're going to do what you're going to do.
bxpackman likes this.

Semi-Retired Sr. Mechanical Assembler & Sr. Quality Assurance Inspector for Aerospace Industry
post #3 of 12 Old 06-19-2019, 08:36 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

The only extended warranty worth a crap is the Mopar warranty. All other 3rd party warranties are a total waste of your money and a huge profit maker for the dealer.

If you can get them to drop the price a couple thousand, it would be a fair deal.
underscore and bxpackman like this.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA

post #4 of 12 Old 06-19-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
bxpackman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconFreedom View Post
Although this vehicle would be considered extremely clean, I would say its about 3K - 5K over priced. But you're going to do what you're going to do.

@RubiconFreedom Appreciate the second look on this. I called back and told him the price was too high. Left the ball in his court to ask "Which price was the RIGHT price?" or similar. He didn't budge at all - he just restated he couldn't make any price adjustments based on the features included and the trim, condition, etc. Told him no deal and if anything changes to let me know.

I'm feeling more confident in knowing what to look for in a Jeep as i go through the buying process. This looked great on paper and in person. Just wanted a better bargin on the price. If it's available next week (end of month) I may reach back out to make an offer.

Update: He offered 2.5% off the price a hour or two after our call. Offer declined

Austin,TX
>50K Miles

Last edited by bxpackman; 06-19-2019 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Update
post #5 of 12 Old 06-19-2019, 11:48 AM
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

Good man. Don't be tempted bu the color of the jeep or the condition, there could be hidden issues one may not be aware of.

Just as a for instance, according to several sites, our 2017 JKUS is currently listed for 28K in it's current condition. New it listed 32k, but we paid 24K for it. But again one would have to weigh the pros & cons or the difference between these two vehicles. Ours was cut rate, no frills, while the Rubicon has mostly all the bells. The only thing we did to our special order JKUS was upgrade from 3.21 to 3.73.

The reason I said 3K-5K is that's the dealer marking up or profit margin. GL
bxpackman likes this.

Semi-Retired Sr. Mechanical Assembler & Sr. Quality Assurance Inspector for Aerospace Industry
post #6 of 12 Old 06-19-2019, 12:35 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

The reason they wanted more than what would be expected is because it is the Hard Rock. IMHO, even new, the Hard Rock added more to the price than the few doo dads included could justify.

That price is more in line with a four door.
RubiconFreedom and bxpackman like this.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-19-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
bxpackman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
The only extended warranty worth a crap is the Mopar warranty. All other 3rd party warranties are a total waste of your money and a huge profit maker for the dealer.

If you can get them to drop the price a couple thousand, it would be a fair deal.
@cranbiz This is extremely insightful. Definitely was unaware of this. Going to compare costs and which is covered under each. Warranty is through my credit union, not dealership so I'd like to say it's coming in cheaper. The sales-rep didn't even offer to pitch the warranty admitting he couldn't beat the price.

He came in with a counter offer of a 2.5% discount which is about $847 off. I declined with no counter offer. I'll let him inquire again.

I'll look into the MOPAR warranties though

Austin,TX
>50K Miles
post #8 of 12 Old 06-19-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
bxpackman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
The reason they wanted more than what would be expected is because it is the Hard Rock. IMHO, even new, the Hard Rock added more to the price than the few doo dads included could justify.

That price is more in line with a four door.
Exactly what I thought.

Austin,TX
>50K Miles
post #9 of 12 Old 06-20-2019, 06:57 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpackman View Post
@cranbiz This is extremely insightful. Definitely was unaware of this. Going to compare costs and which is covered under each. Warranty is through my credit union, not dealership so I'd like to say it's coming in cheaper. The sales-rep didn't even offer to pitch the warranty admitting he couldn't beat the price.

He came in with a counter offer of a 2.5% discount which is about $847 off. I declined with no counter offer. I'll let him inquire again.

I'll look into the MOPAR warranties though
Inquire with the online sellers of the Mopar warranty. They are volume Mopar dealers that sell at a greatly reduced price.

Chrysler warranty direct and Hayes (Tom Winkles is the contact) are 2 dealers that offer discounted Mopar extended warranties.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #10 of 12 Old 06-20-2019, 03:54 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
if i was looking used rubicon auto jk 2012+ it must have 4.1 gears. must. unless you plan to put another 3k in gears? it was low cost option. people bought a hard rock option and no 4.1s?

4.1 gets you to 35s with good street manners especially a two door rubi. gears is not about off road. the jeep has a low range off road to over come gear ratio issues.
cranbiz and bxpackman like this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-25-2019, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
bxpackman

Quick update here. Found a 16' JKR Hard Rock. 46K miles and we agreed to $29K. Original price was $30,500. That's $4.3K in savings from the original jeep I posted. I'm going to fly in to check it out.

All the bells and whistles as the model posted above with 4.1 gears. CarFax is truly immaculate. Only 1 owner. Oil change/Tires rotations/inspections all logged and consistent.

Warranty deets:

Basic: Expired
Warranty: 17 months or 14,802 miles
Emissions: 53 months or 34,802 miles
Corrosion: Expired

I feel very confident about this one after looking quite extensively over the past two months. Also the feedback from the folks here has also been englighting. Still wanted to get a second opinion before I officially pull the trigger. Let me know what you guys think....

Much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
20190625_084601_HDR.jpg   20190625_084528_HDR.jpg   20190625_084542_HDR copy.jpg   hoood.jpg  

Austin,TX
>50K Miles
post #12 of 12 Old 06-25-2019, 04:57 PM
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

Again, very clean jeep. The only thing I would be concerned with is the tires being the mud terrains (which can wear out in less that 30K miles, very soft compound) & the shocks (as these should be changed at or about the 50K miles). @RockAuto has the replacement red shocks for your jeep. Tires, that's your call if you want the same mud terrains on the jeep. GL with your purchase.
bxpackman likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in