Upgrading to 35's, what are my priorities? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 89 Old 01-21-2015, 11:18 AM
zjilla

2007 JK Wrangler 

I drove two 3.6ls with 35s and recalibrators in the past week.... one haf 3.73s and one had 3.21s. The difference was hardly noticable. The diffrence offroad would be the differwnce in driver and wouldnt be worth the regear for tire speed.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum

2007 Unlimited Sahara
98 ZJ Limited RHD (British spec)
USAF Military Working Dog Handler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 89 Old 01-21-2015, 12:16 PM
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjilla View Post
And it decreases it when u add larger tires.
What decreases when larger tires are added?

Quote:
So if he were to re gear....it would bring his revolution back (or close to) to stock.
Revolutions of what? Motor? Wheel?

The re-gear increases torque to the wheel (which the larger tire needs), so there is more to it than just changing revolutions.

Quote:
The largertire......the less revolution per that tire compared to gear ratio. When u tell him to go for 4.88s or 5.13s. Im assuming that is to put him back inratio to stock with 35s. Its really irralevant if his stock jeep didnt have decent tourque to revolution ratio when it was stock.
I haven't told him to go for 4.88's or 5.13's. Ive used 4.56's and 4.88's as examples of final crawl ratios regardless of tire size. 4.56's is what he was considering and 4.88's is the other option if re-gearing for 35's when you have the 3.6 and a 6 speed.

Quote:
My sahara is no "rockcrawler" and niether is his sport jk. There is alot more to change than axle gear ratios if ur c9ncerned with crawl ratio. The argument is pointless to the OP.

Know your audience

Crawl ratio is only one aspect of the re-gear and is only benefited from when off road in 4lo. The biggest benefit to a DD is torque multiplication and adjusting RPM's at both highway speed and in the city to improve drivability and fuel economy. You don't have to have a "rockcrawler" to benefit from running the proper gears for a given use and tire size.

There is nothing pointless about properly gearing your Jeep after larger tires are added. Pointless is having a Jeep that is geared to run 90MPH.

2014 Wrangler JKU
2013 Wrangler JK
2004 Wrangler TJ on LEAFS
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
post #48 of 89 Old 01-21-2015, 12:20 PM
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I drove two 3.6ls with 35s and recalibrators in the past week.... one haf 3.73s and one had 3.21s. The difference was hardly noticable. The diffrence offroad would be the differwnce in driver and wouldnt be worth the regear for tire speed.

So your saying that you find 3.21's and 3.73's both acceptable gear ratios for 35" tires?

2014 Wrangler JKU
2013 Wrangler JK
2001 Dodge Ram 2500

post #49 of 89 Old 01-21-2015, 04:05 PM
avatheredjeep
2013 JK Wrangler 

Don't bother with the procal. I've had mine for three weeks, troubleshot my *** off, tried resetting the procal and the jeep's computer. Nothing is working and I haven't heard anything from AEV after several calls and messages. Their customer service is garbage as is their product.
post #50 of 89 Old 01-21-2015, 04:16 PM
Maertz

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatheredjeep View Post
Don't bother with the procal. I've had mine for three weeks, troubleshot my *** off, tried resetting the procal and the jeep's computer. Nothing is working and I haven't heard anything from AEV after several calls and messages. Their customer service is garbage as is their product.
Damn ive used mine a ton with no problems ever.

Wishing I Wasn't Part Of The 'JK' Crowd...

post #51 of 89 Old 01-21-2015, 04:17 PM
reichard117

2014 JK Wrangler 

Same here, I had a problem with the first procal. Also had a hard time getting ahold of AEV. But once I got one working, it is well worth the money!

'14 JK - Current
'00 TJ - Sold
'00 XJ - Sold
Follow me on Instagram - @thereich
post #52 of 89 Old 01-21-2015, 04:42 PM
JIMBOX

2018 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry bout dat-

I've used mine steadily for over 4 years-never even a "burp"-

Good tool, many uses too

JIMBO

Firecracker Red 2dr RUBICON--2018
Stinger Yellow 2016 RAM/Hemi/8spd auto 4x4

--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
post #53 of 89 Old 01-21-2015, 05:09 PM
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Picked up a Procal for the 2013 JK to set tire size and gear ratio (35's & 4.88's). Came in handy to turn the TPMS off and turning the fog/driving lights on. No issues with it and have plans to pick one up for the 2014 JKU.

2014 Wrangler JKU
2013 Wrangler JK
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
post #54 of 89 Old 01-22-2015, 04:33 AM
zjilla

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE View Post
What decreases when larger tires are added?

Revolutions of what? Motor? Wheel?

The re-gear increases torque to the wheel (which the larger tire needs), so there is more to it than just changing revolutions.

I haven't told him to go for 4.88's or 5.13's. Ive used 4.56's and 4.88's as examples of final crawl ratios regardless of tire size. 4.56's is what he was considering and 4.88's is the other option if re-gearing for 35's when you have the 3.6 and a 6 speed.

Crawl ratio is only one aspect of the re-gear and is only benefited from when off road in 4lo. The biggest benefit to a DD is torque multiplication and adjusting RPM's at both highway speed and in the city to improve drivability and fuel economy. You don't have to have a "rockcrawler" to benefit from running the proper gears for a given use and tire size.

There is nothing pointless about properly gearing your Jeep after larger tires are added. Pointless is having a Jeep that is geared to run 90MPH.
Wheel revolution.

All I am saying is that "just" a ring and pinion re-gear paired with 35 inch tires would only bring him close to a wheel revolution and torque ratio (at the wheels) of to what the jeep was as OEM equipment. If a person were so overly concerned with increasing that ratio, it would only be beneficial if the OP was content with what the OEM equipment offered them in the 1st place. A higher gear is always going to bring the RPMs higher (which equals more fuel used). The real benefit is keeping the jeep in OD while traveling down the highway. The higher RPM range may be helpful to keep the jeep in OD (or 6th gear) but this is ultimately up the the driver to maintain.

In reality, someone with 3.21s or 3.73s or 4.10s on 35 inch tires could keep their jeep in OD/6th gear and see more fuel saving benifits than running 4.56+ and up gears in their axle. The higher gear ratio will only make it more user friendly, so I like how you used the word "drivability". To me, drivability=User friendly.

Off road performance gains will increase, but if the OP were so concerned about his off road performance, we would be talking about bigger axles, bigger ring/ pinions different T cases. All this would hardly match up to making his jeep drive like a stock JK Sport. What I am trying to say, is that all this money thrown into a re-gear on what he has now if far not worth having a more "user friendly" OEM JK sport on 35s. I hope that made sense.

2007 Unlimited Sahara

post #55 of 89 Old 01-22-2015, 04:46 AM
zjilla

2007 JK Wrangler 

I`m not arguing with you SLADE. You are completely right. I just feel that his money could be spent on a recalibrator and else where. The drivability of the jeep with factory gears on 35s is really up in the air of opinion on each specific person. I PERSONALLY would not waste the money on a re-gear until I felt how the jeep drove without it. If it wasn't satisfactory, then I would change it. I just don't want to see someone waste thousands of dollars re-gearing their stock axles only to move on to something bigger and better in the future.

To the OP: Both the 3.6Ls that I drove were automatic, and in my opinion, I don't feel that they need a re-gear to make them more "user-friendly". they still hold overdrive. the jeep with 3.21s didn't hold it as well compared to the rubicon with 3.73s, but it was nothing like my 3.8L with 4.10s and a 4 speed tranny on 35s. SOOOOOOO Id say, put the tires on, recalibrate it, see how it drives.....if it is unbelievably SLUGGISH (to you), then change it.

2007 Unlimited Sahara

post #56 of 89 Old 01-22-2015, 05:37 PM
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

No arguing, Just Jeep talk.

We definitely prioritize and value re-gearing differently.

My 2013 JK 6 speed had 3.73's stock. Ran 285/70R17's for a while and decided I was going to throw a new set of 35x12.50R17 MTR/K's I had laying around on. There were times with the 3.73's and 285's that I wished I had 4.10's. I had 4.88 gears and True Tracs for the front and rear ordered before the 35's were even mounted. That was some of the best money I spent on the Jeep. The results were well worth the cost of parts and install. Plenty of torque for the tire size and the fuel mileage is still in the 16mpg-18mpg for my normal 2 lane commute. If I would normally see highway speeds of 70mph+ I would have gone with 4.56's.

One thing that surprised me.... The 2014 JKU with an Automatic, 3.73's, and 285's will run higher RPM's than what the 2013 JK on 35's will run with the 4.88's and a 6 speed. The JK will hold speed in 6th while the JKU down shifts and runs the RPMs up.

2014 Wrangler JKU
2013 Wrangler JK
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
post #57 of 89 Old 01-22-2015, 06:23 PM
cdnroadwarrior
2012 JK Wrangler 

Lots of good points being made.

Like I said earlier, I run 305/70R16 on the Pentastar with a 6 speed and 3.21 gears. It drives fine on the road and it has lots of power for passing. Sure, if you come up to a steep hill it's wise to downshift before you start climbing. I couldn't care less about having to downshift a few times, it's part of the fun when driving a stick.

To only downfall to having a larger tire for a given gearing is when you are in 4 Low, in first gear and you are riding the brake trying to slow things down while going over an obstacle. But that does not prevent you from going on a bunch of club runs.

To the OP: Like Zjilla said, better keep some of your money to fix your Jeep, you will break stuff, that's a fact. Learning how to wrench on it does help in keeping the bills low. Actually, the money you save is a great way to build your tool chest!
post #58 of 89 Old 01-23-2015, 02:58 AM
zjilla

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE View Post
No arguing, Just Jeep talk.

We definitely prioritize and value re-gearing differently.

My 2013 JK 6 speed had 3.73's stock. Ran 285/70R17's for a while and decided I was going to throw a new set of 35x12.50R17 MTR/K's I had laying around on. There were times with the 3.73's and 285's that I wished I had 4.10's. I had 4.88 gears and True Tracs for the front and rear ordered before the 35's were even mounted. That was some of the best money I spent on the Jeep. The results were well worth the cost of parts and install. Plenty of torque for the tire size and the fuel mileage is still in the 16mpg-18mpg for my normal 2 lane commute. If I would normally see highway speeds of 70mph+ I would have gone with 4.56's.

One thing that surprised me.... The 2014 JKU with an Automatic, 3.73's, and 285's will run higher RPM's than what the 2013 JK on 35's will run with the 4.88's and a 6 speed. The JK will hold speed in 6th while the JKU down shifts and runs the RPMs up.
Ha...i probably just drive too fast. Remember that comment u made about running a jeep 90 mph? Yea......thats me

2007 Unlimited Sahara

post #59 of 89 Old 01-24-2015, 10:25 AM
chris79
JK Wrangler 

Just go with 33's so you don't have to regear.
post #60 of 89 Old 01-25-2015, 12:53 PM
zjilla

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris79
Just go with 33's so you don't have to regear.
???? He might as well just stay stock . The size difference is minimal

2007 Unlimited Sahara

Closed Thread

Tags
dana 30

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in