Unplugging wiring harness when removing doors? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-06-2007, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
etownjay8

Unplugging wiring harness when removing doors?

how do you unplug the wiring harness when removing the doors? It looks like you need press down in the middle but its not moving... i don't want to force it and break something. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-06-2007, 09:11 AM
hcpookie

Did you read the manual? Not trying to be smart, but it explains it. The red plastic tab is the lock. Slide the tab to unlock it, and the black latch can then be pressed down to disengage. Pull down while pressing the black latch. It is snug but should not require much effort at all.

I just leave my red tab in the unlocked position in-between door removals. The black plastic latch will click when you re-attach it.

FWIW, the plug is called a "wire loom" according to the parts guy at the dealer. He told me that some early JK's had a loom that did not disengage the dome light and "door ajar" switch. My JK, built in June '07, has the correct loom that disengages the "door ajar" / dome light switch.

HTH
post #3 of 7 Old 08-06-2007, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
etownjay8

thanks for the help... where i was looking in the manual, it simply said to unplug the harness. I was messing around with the red tabs but they weren't really moving either... do they just slide left to right?

post #4 of 7 Old 08-06-2007, 09:29 AM
gergy9

SLide to the side with the the 90 degree tab.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-06-2010, 10:28 AM
j94shore

The manual should state that you have to slide red tab over to unlock. I did place a mirror in the floorboard that was very helpful.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-06-2010, 03:32 PM
IndyJpr

Here's a picture:

Slide the red piece in the direction shown using your finger nail (or small screwdriver) on the raised edge. It only slides about an 1/8 of an inch - it is shown in the "unlocked" position. Most people leave them unlocked.

Next put your thumb on the circled tab with your forefinger on the opposite side of the harness. Squeeze and pull the harness straight down - try not to pull on the wires themselves.

Hope that helps.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-06-2010, 06:32 PM
rubizen
2013 JK Wrangler 

And dont forget once you take the strap off the hook your door moves all the way forward until the mirror hits the cowl. Control your door or you may end up with a dent in you cowl.

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in