Uneven heat driver passenger side - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 11-16-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
arschell

Uneven heat driver passenger side

I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler JK, and there is an uneven amount of heat between the driver and passenger side vents. I’ve read a bunch of these posts, but I have yet to find a solution. I replaced the blend door actuator (it had the problem where the gear went all the way to the top and then dropped back down), that didn’t fix the problem. I then checked both the recirculation door and the distribution door, and both actuators appear to work normally. I found YouTube videos talking about heater core problems, so I did a flush of the entire coolant system to include the engine block and heater core, replaced all the fluid, burped the system, and still the same issue. Here are some numbers that might be helpful: Vent temperatures from far right to left = 130, 120, 100, 95. A lot of people suggested a broken heater core, but inlet hose temperature was 155 and outlet was 135 (both while running). Definitely a difference but considering the coolant should be getting cooled by the heater core, I don’t think it’s an unreasonable split. Anybody have a similar issue that eventually found a solution?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-16-2019, 06:48 PM
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arschell View Post
I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler JK, and there is an uneven amount of heat between the driver and passenger side vents. I’ve read a bunch of these posts, but I have yet to find a solution. I replaced the blend door actuator (it had the problem where the gear went all the way to the top and then dropped back down), that didn’t fix the problem. I then checked both the recirculation door and the distribution door, and both actuators appear to work normally. I found YouTube videos talking about heater core problems, so I did a flush of the entire coolant system to include the engine block and heater core, replaced all the fluid, burped the system, and still the same issue. Here are some numbers that might be helpful: Vent temperatures from far right to left = 130, 120, 100, 95. A lot of people suggested a broken heater core, but inlet hose temperature was 155 and outlet was 135 (both while running). Definitely a difference but considering the coolant should be getting cooled by the heater core, I don’t think it’s an unreasonable split. Anybody have a similar issue that eventually found a solution?
I have a '13 and had the same issue. Consulted with the Jeep mechanic at the local dealer and he said it's common for the heater core to be partially clogged, and almost always on the side the air flows through to provide heat to the driver's side.

Solution was a pretty straightforward DIY and involved a power flush of the core. Started by warming up the Jeep, shutting the engine off, disconnecting the heater core feed and return lines, draining the heater core and then filling core with radiator flush using a funnel. After radiator flush had time to work, reverse flushed the core with the garden hose.

Here's the setup:

Heater core hoses are disconnected at the end of the aluminum lines. The green hose fits over both aluminum tubes to prevent the coolant from draining from the rest of the system. The black hoses adapt the garden hose to the radiator core hoses, and look like this:

Did this procedure two years ago and heat has been fine ever since.

If you're wondering why the core gets partially clogged and why that affects the driver's side heat:

1. The inlet and outlet of the core are on the passenger side, so the part of the core that's on the driver's side is furthest from the inlet and outlet. Because of that there can be less flow on that side of the core, so it's more likely for any sediment to settle there and partially clog the core.

2. The outlet of the heater core box that feeds the driver's side air vents is aligned with the side of the core that gets partially clogged, and being partially clogged there's less hot coolant flowing through there so the air flowing across that part of the core has can pick up less heat on it's way out of the heater core box and into the duct that goes to the driver's side outlet.

"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford
post #3 of 4 Old 11-16-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
arschell

I tried to do this and didn’t really have any luck. No sand or mud came out after I flushed it with the garden hose, it was surprisingly clean. Only thing I can think is if I just need something with more pressure, but I don’t want to burst the core.

post #4 of 4 Old 11-17-2019, 12:53 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

You could replace the heater core but that is a somewhat involved job.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in