Transfer Case Shifter cable - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-04-2010, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
CRJEEP
2011 JK Wrangler 

Transfer Case Shifter cable

I have a 2008 JK unlimited. I haven't had it in 4 wheel drive very often, but when i put it into 4wd or back to 2wd, the shift knob was not very easy to move into gear. Now, just after towing it behind my rv, and following the owners manual to putting it into neutral in the transfer case and park in the transmission in the exact order per the manual, when disconnecting it from the rv. the transfer case shifter knob wouldn't budge back into 2wd. I retraced my steps and then tried to move the transfer case knob again and it moved effortlessly with no resistence and of course, it didn't change into 2wd or 4wd. It was just sloppy. I had a neighbor mechanic check it and he said the transfer case shifter cable is broken just inside the transfer case. Shouldn't that be covered by warranty and have any of you had this problem? Is there a better replacement cable other than stock i should consider?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-04-2010, 12:19 AM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRJEEP View Post
I have a 2008 JK unlimited. I haven't had it in 4 wheel drive very often, but when i put it into 4wd or back to 2wd, the shift knob was not very easy to move into gear. Now, just after towing it behind my rv, and following the owners manual to putting it into neutral in the transfer case and park in the transmission in the exact order per the manual, when disconnecting it from the rv. the transfer case shifter knob wouldn't budge back into 2wd. I retraced my steps and then tried to move the transfer case knob again and it moved effortlessly with no resistence and of course, it didn't change into 2wd or 4wd. It was just sloppy. I had a neighbor mechanic check it and he said the transfer case shifter cable is broken just inside the transfer case. Shouldn't that be covered by warranty and have any of you had this problem? Is there a better replacement cable other than stock i should consider?
Yes, it should be covered under warranty.

I have not heard of the mechanism breaking inside the t-case.
What usually breaks is the plastic bushing on the t-case lever where the cable connects to it..

If that's what's broken, you should be able to temporarily put the cable end back on and secure it with a zip tie.

A new plastic bushing is about 30 cents.

Sometimes, it's the bushing on the other end of the cable, in the console.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-04-2010, 12:29 AM
Rescue13
2007 JK Wrangler 

If the cable is broken, wouldnt the shifter move quite easily?

post #4 of 8 Old 08-04-2010, 07:01 AM
thebigtman
2008 JK Wrangler 

As ronjenx said, I doubt that the cable is broken inside the t-case. First of all to be clear, the cable doesn't run into the t-case. It actually hooks to a lever that runs into the t-case housing. The cable is most likely broken at one of two places - either where it hooks to the 4wd shift lever just beneath the plastic cover or (the more likely place) at the t-case lever itself. The bushing that holds the cable onto the lever breaks very easily and results in the symptoms you described.

I recommend that when you get it fixed you carry a few extra bushings that secure the cable to the t-case lever. They're about .50 from the dealer and cheap insurance. Lastly, if you find yourself in that pickle again, you can reach your hand up by the t-case and feel where the cable has slipped off and then try to move the lever manually. You could also slip the cable back on and have a second person move the shift lever while you make sure the cable doesn't slip off. This is a LOT easier to do when the exhaust is cool.

2008 Hemified JK Rubicon Unlimited
2005 KJ CRD (RIP 2/5/10) replaced with...
2008 Grand Cherokee CRD
post #5 of 8 Old 04-26-2011, 08:57 PM
rkham11
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigtman View Post
This is a LOT easier to do when the exhaust is cool.
That's definitely the truth, i'm nursing the knuckles of my right hand from where I burned them on my exhaust yesterday doing this exact thing...

so When I move the t-case knob, There is no visible movement under the tub.. I'm assuming something broke at the shift knob end of the cable. Should this be under warranty, or should i just tear out the center console?
post #6 of 8 Old 04-26-2011, 09:00 PM
thebigtman
2008 JK Wrangler 

If you're still under the 3/36, then yes.

The one that is the biggest PITA is the one by the shift lever. IIRC, we pulled the console apart and still had to finagle a way to get a hand in there to put in the bushing. Total PITA that took about 30 minutes.

2008 Grand Cherokee CRD
post #7 of 8 Old 04-26-2011, 09:00 PM
thebigtman
2008 JK Wrangler 

Oh, one more thing...check the end cable at the t case while someone moves the shifter. It will have the same symptoms you described no matter where it is broken.

2008 Grand Cherokee CRD
post #8 of 8 Old 04-27-2011, 06:54 AM
Vin

2012 JK Wrangler 

Here's the upgraded cable kit and there's a video showing you "how-to"

http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/pn-715596/

Tags
cable , clip , failure , JK Wrangler , shifter , transfer case , transfer case linkage , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in