Tranny and Engine destroyed - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 661 Old 05-02-2012, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
sgt jeep
2010 JK Wrangler 

Tranny and Engine destroyed

JK Rubicon. Under 36,000 miles.

So take a look at these pics and tell me what could have caused this. Anyone ever seen anything like this before?

Veh was on dry pavement, going about 60mph, step on gas pedal to accelerate, engine noise, puff of smoke seen in rear-view. Engine dies and Jeep is pulled over to side of road. Big puddle of oil. Towed to dealer.

Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  

olllllllo

This of course, is just my opinion and your mileage may vary. As in life, knowledge is one thing, opinions are another. Take it for whatever you want, or don't take it at all. Doesn't really matter in the scheme of things now does it? And grow some thicker skin.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 661 Old 05-02-2012, 03:37 PM
purplepig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

yikes!
post #3 of 661 Old 05-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Sandhara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Wow thats impressive, sorry cant help with what may have caused it though.

99 Wrangler Sahara 5spd manual - Mine
08 Patriot sport 4x4 auto - Wifes
92 Cherokee Lorado auto - for when mine needs fixin/winter beater

Im sorry, some times i drink and post stupid comments.

post #4 of 661 Old 05-02-2012, 03:45 PM
cmashark
2020 J-Series Truck 

looks like a rod snapped and went out the bottom.... I am betting that one of your back two pistons is against the head. Sometimes **** just lets go. Happened on my wife's old 2000 Camaro. One of the rods snapped in half.

Chris

2020 Gladiator Overland
post #5 of 661 Old 05-02-2012, 03:52 PM
mountainkahn
2012 JK Wrangler 

... Dare I say it -- symptom of bailed out car companies?? Increase profit by making cheaper parts?? Unfortunately, I just bought a 2012... Man, these things rust...
post #6 of 661 Old 05-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Brian_in_MT

As an old school hot rodder/drag racer i've seen this many times in my own cars.

You sir threw a connecting rod.

If you didn't hear any knocking noise until the engine let go, then most probable cause is you lost a head gasket and got water on top of that piston. Can't compress water so connecting rod bends in a V or L shape and the next revolution around everything goes to ****. Hopefully a piston didn't slap the head hard enough to warp or crack it.

Cause wont be known until you open the engine up but I guarantee that's a thrown connecting rod.
post #7 of 661 Old 05-02-2012, 04:46 PM
DavidJeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

If you take it to the Jeep dealer here in West Central New Jersey they would tell you " Thats Normal " and " It's not under warranty "
post #8 of 661 Old 05-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Yonco
2008 JK Wrangler 

To much oil consumption and ran low? When was the last time you checked/added oil? I had a YJ with a 4.0L do something very similar to that when i had watered down oil. But she knocked hard for 10 mins while i "tried" to make it to the road. To add onto what Brian_in_MT said. Ive had a leaking intake manifold gasket leak coolant into the cylinder and hydrolock the engine, upon starting, #1 cylinder/rod looked a lot like that mess(ford 4.2L) But for that to happen the engine would have to be sitting long enough for fuild to fill the chamber. -Jon

NEW JK:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OLD YJ: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1991-yj-project-quickie-1146445/
post #9 of 661 Old 05-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Brian_in_MT

Crawling this thread for sure!

I got a PM from OP. Wait until you hear what the dealership told him!

Remember, he said he was driving 60mph down a dry highway when this happened, so it's impossible it happened at startup...
post #10 of 661 Old 05-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Yonco
2008 JK Wrangler 

So what did he say?

NEW JK:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OLD YJ: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1991-yj-project-quickie-1146445/
post #11 of 661 Old 05-02-2012, 07:39 PM
WXman
2020 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJeep View Post
If you take it to the Jeep dealer here in West Central New Jersey they would tell you " Thats Normal " and " It's not under warranty "

Same around here.

Current Jeep: '20 JT Gladiator Max Tow w/ mods

Prior Jeeps/trucks/cars: Too many to list
post #12 of 661 Old 05-02-2012, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
sgt jeep
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for all the input guys!

Like I posted, the jeep was being driven down the highway going approx. 60mph, and had been running for about 15-20 min prior to the failure. The dealer stated due to the water spots in the engine and airbox, and also due to the caked on mud on the exhaust and under-carriage he and his master mechanic of 18 yrs stated I hydrolocked my jeep and it would not be covered under warranty. He even went on to say that “you know what you did” and when I questioned his statement he said I submerged my jeep. I told him I did no such thing and just got back into the country from an overseas deployment. I said I changed the oil prior to leaving and the jeep was being driven on dirt roads to/from the kids’ soccer practice. He went on to make blanket statements about how it is all my fault, etc……I stopped talking to him and went to his boss. (The oil level was double checked after I changed it and good to go.)

I had it towed out of that dealership and now my insurance is working it. I haven’t a clue as to how this happened and refuse to believe I caused it. I have driven through puddles and on dirt roads, but I have never submerged it, stalled it out or ran it in water/river. At this point, I don’t care who pays, I just want it fixed. Insurance or warranty. I am leaving again soon and need a working vehicle.

I do not know any better, but it looks like the tranny gave first and just ripped away the housing around the clutch/flywheel.

Is it possible she ran over something? Vandalism? Or do the pics clearly represent a thrown rod?

olllllllo

This of course, is just my opinion and your mileage may vary. As in life, knowledge is one thing, opinions are another. Take it for whatever you want, or don't take it at all. Doesn't really matter in the scheme of things now does it? And grow some thicker skin.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #13 of 661 Old 05-02-2012, 08:55 PM
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt jeep View Post
Thanks for all the input guys!

Like I posted, the jeep was being driven down the highway going approx. 60mph, and had been running for about 15-20 min prior to the failure. The dealer stated due to the water spots in the engine and airbox, and also due to the caked on mud on the exhaust and under-carriage he and his master mechanic of 18 yrs stated I hydrolocked my jeep and it would not be covered under warranty. He even went on to say that “you know what you did” and when I questioned his statement he said I submerged my jeep. I told him I did no such thing and just got back into the country from an overseas deployment. I said I changed the oil prior to leaving and the jeep was being driven on dirt roads to/from the kids’ soccer practice. He went on to make blanket statements about how it is all my fault, etc……I stopped talking to him and went to his boss. (The oil level was double checked after I changed it and good to go.)

I had it towed out of that dealership and now my insurance is working it. I haven’t a clue as to how this happened and refuse to believe I caused it. I have driven through puddles and on dirt roads, but I have never submerged it, stalled it out or ran it in water/river. At this point, I don’t care who pays, I just want it fixed. Insurance or warranty. I am leaving again soon and need a working vehicle.

I do not know any better, but it looks like the tranny gave first and just ripped away the housing around the clutch/flywheel.

Is it possible she ran over something? Vandalism? Or do the pics clearly represent a thrown rod?
Well you stated you just got back from a deployment and had changed the oil before deploying,if I read the above correctly.

If it was a year long deployment you should have changed the oil ASAP.Was it in storage the whole time? If so the lack of being run and most likely improper storage was to blame.Not a defect from the factory.You just can't park a vehicle for a year and do nothing to it and expect it to run perfect afterwards without the proper prep and maintenance.

'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
post #14 of 661 Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Sorry to hear that man. Nobody should have to go through this crap.

Well, the dealers around here are all the same it seems. I had a dealer tell me all my problems on my dodge ram were caused by my tires. They will do or say anything to screw people over.

Anything they say doesn't shock me anymore. I almost want to find a decent mechanic an deal with them. My warranty is almost done anyways so..... I found a decent mechanic but it's inconvenient. Hope this issue gets resolved for you without hassle.

OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
post #15 of 661 Old 05-02-2012, 09:01 PM
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

If its parked in the garage sure you can, give me a break. Even if its parked in the driveway truthfully.

Edit: Is it just me or does it look really dry underneath? Seems like there'd be oil splattered everywhere.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in