Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Trailhawk to Wrangler in WI

696 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Keith Pillsbury 
#1 ·
Hello All, currently I have a 17 Cherokee Trailhawk and have been looking at new and used Wranglers. I live just north of Green Bay, WI. In my research, I've come up with some questions that I hope you all can help me with. And, some of these questions may answer themselves.

1. WI Driving: 70-75 mph Interstate 2 or 4 door? My Jeep is always inside the garage except when the weather's nice then it's outside.

2. WI Snow: 2 or 4 doors?

3. Weaving in and out of traffic? In WI we have a bunch of DA's that sit in the left lane and won't move over. So, move to the right lane get in front of them.

4. Jeep doesn't do any off-roading, but I've heard about this Death Wobble Lawsuit. Should I be worried?

5. I'm single with a 16-yr old. 2 or 4 doors?

6. Sometimes pull a Discovery Rover ET trailer (12') that at the most have 1,000 lbs-ish. Get a Jeep with the hitch/tow package or no biggy just put it on yourself?

7. Lease or Buy?

8. If you went used. Are there years to avoid, amount of miles, miles / how old, etc.

9. Manual or Power Windows? I have power and like the access to putting passenger/rear windows down just below window deflectors.

10. Rust. I've looked at some Wranglers and noticed the rust/pitting/etc. on the hinges and how some owners removed the hinges, sandblasted/sanded, primed, painted, etc. I know "white" shows it easily "the one I looked at." Should I worry about this? Since I'm in WI we have that crap called "salt :)". Is it just a matter of making sure they're clean especially during the winter months?

11. 4 or 6 cyl?

12. Sidesteps?

13. Colors to stay away from? I'm the guy who likes orange, yellow, purple, red, blue, silver; not a black or white "rust pops out".

I know this is a lot and hopefully, you all can make it through it. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Considering i am assuming a JL not a JK. I would think since you are not used to part time 4x4 all JKS. The new JL Sahara with the OPTION of AWD would be best for you.

Much of the rest is a matter of "needs or wants".

Tow package can not be added latter. what ever the Jeep or anything made is rated at from the factory is it. Jeeps are not all that great at towing. even with tow pack on 4 door its like 3500lbs MAX.

4 or 6. I would say the 6 for sure. those turbo 4s are never that good at real life MPG when you need to be in boost to get the power out of it. As well its more a Hybrid using a battery under the jeep that needs a cooling system. THis makes the whole thing just overly complex for so little to gained.

Death wobble as it is called has been around since the cave men invented a straight axle, any straight axle. In any thing made. Fact is Jeep cant fix it. Unless the go away from the straight axle and go to a independent front axle, like every SUV and light trucks/ cars made.

Jeep meaning a REAL jeep. Is not the best DD suv. Some people can live with its idiosyncrasies, some find it just to "Old school". MPG will never be like any other SUV. maybe when they make a diesel will help but at a huge cost and very high maintenance cost compared to a gas one. DEP for the exhaust, they tend to hold a lot of oil making changes more costly and so much smog control complexity issues.

Ever drive a jeep? maybe rent one to see if it will serve you well? I have one since the 70s and to tell you truth not for DD. Off road they are great. BUT they have always been a Love<>hate relationship, to me. I can work on them too so much of the cost of ownership is negated.

My 2 cents, worthless today....happy trails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.