towing with a JK? - JeepForum.com
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 06-02-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
R3dRid3r
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: StL
Posts: 414
towing with a JK?

I am buying a lot in a private lake community. Has more than a dozen lakes upon which to fish. Community has 23 MPH speed limit on paved roads and 17 MPH on gravel roads. There are hills.

The place is big, almost 8,000 acres developed and several thousand more to be developed. Many people buy UTVs, golf carts and Jeeps to run around in the community. I think a JK would be ideal because it might be able to tow a boat around as well.

From my reading, the JK is rated to tow 3,000 pounds. A small pontoon boat with trailer will approach that weight.

My question is: will a JK strain at 3k # or will it easily tow a 16-18 foot long, 7-8 foot wide, pontoon boat at 20 miles an hour?

Thanks


"You'll Shoot Your Eye Out"
R3dRid3r is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 Old 06-03-2019, 02:23 AM
Prot
Registered User
 
Prot's Avatar
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 8,373
The two door is rated at 2,000 pounds and the four door is rated at 3,500. For towing, you want the deepest differerential gear ratio available which 4.10 if you are talking stock. The other two ratios are 3.21 and 3.73.

The 2012 onwards tows much better than the 2007-2011, especially if you are talking automatic transmissions.

I sometimes tow an enclosed trailer so when I went to 35” tires, I had it regeared to 4.88 to compensate.

You need to plan to tow on the highway because inevitably the boat will need repair or something will happen and you will need to.

Get 2012 or newer four door with 4.10 gears and you will be fine.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
Prot is offline  
post #3 of 34 Old 06-03-2019, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
R3dRid3r
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: StL
Posts: 414
Thanks Prot,

I have a Tundra for highway tows. I'm only hoping to use the JK to tow on community roads [so I don't have to drive the Tundra every time I visit].

I'd much prefer a 2 dr over 4 for multiple reasons.

If I'm driving at 20 mph or under and only driving in fair weather can I safely and functionally expect a 2 door to pull 3K#.

Thanks

RR

"You'll Shoot Your Eye Out"
R3dRid3r is offline  
 
post #4 of 34 Old 06-03-2019, 08:29 AM
propped1
Registered User
 
propped1's Avatar
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Union
Posts: 1,761
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dRid3r View Post
Thanks Prot,

I have a Tundra for highway tows. I'm only hoping to use the JK to tow on community roads [so I don't have to drive the Tundra every time I visit].

I'd much prefer a 2 dr over 4 for multiple reasons.

If I'm driving at 20 mph or under and only driving in fair weather can I safely and functionally expect a 2 door to pull 3K#.

Thanks

RR

If you have trailer brakes, you'll be good. Id also upgrade the JK brakes if you are going to put 3000 lbs behind it. Bigger rotors and some more agressive pads. Hawk LTS are great pads for this.



I towed 3700 behind my hemi wk rated at 7200 last weekend. The trailer was a utility hauling a pallet of limestone landscaping rock. No trailer brakes. I wouldnt have gone faster than 25 with it. I went to stop from 35 and the abs kicked on. If your trailer has brakes and youre going low speed like you said, you'll be good. If its hilly, Id get an aux trans cooler too. Can never be too prepared if this is the purpose you'll use it for.



All that said... Im shopping for diesel trucks right now so I can tow anything I want including the Jeep. Gonna be a trailer queen soon so I can make ill advised mod purchases in the not too distant future. Good luck and tow safe.

4" lift, PR 44, PR 60, 5.13, 37 Toyo MT, ATX Slabs, Skids, PSC Big Bore, 2Way
propped1 is offline  
post #5 of 34 Old 06-03-2019, 04:33 PM
222Doc
Registered User
 
222Doc's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lake Havasu City
Posts: 8,568
Garage
the only way to get 4.1 gears stock in 12-18 is a Rubicon model only. and even that is an option on the autos. Since the auto Rubicon with 4.1 are a bit over geared for 32s . Though this wont make it tow any more then those equipped with MAX tow 3.73. But it will pull better. sticks on all Rubis are 4.1 but wont tow as well as a W5 auto can handle near 1/3 more input torque.

so used you want a 12-18 4.1 auto 4 door rubi with max tow. still only 3500 but could do it as well as a jeep can.

Trucks i went tow myself for the jeep on a trailer. But just bought an old f250 with a 7.3 been a rock. tow tune and it pulls the heep to Tahoe every year and gets average 1200 miles 18 mpg towing 12.5/13. no smog simple to run tune

wifes excursions is the better tow ride its 4x4 7.3 limited on 35s. thing gets about the same mpg but its more like huge real SUV with one tons. taking that to tahoe this year since it holds 44 gallons wont need to stop much. should make reno any way. wont want to get fuel in Cali. way to much cost.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
222Doc is offline  
post #6 of 34 Old 06-03-2019, 10:22 PM
Prot
Registered User
 
Prot's Avatar
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 8,373
Also worth noting is most of the low tow rating of Wranglers has to do with the short wheel base. The two door is rated for 2000, the four door is 3,500, and the gladiator which is longer than a JKU is rated for 7,500.

I have to ask but why not just use the truck?

If you are only going 20 mph and it’s not on the highway , then you don’t need brake upgrades or huge towing capacity and a TJ would even be fine for this task.

My opinion, use the truck and spare the expense of buying a Jeep for this simple task. Sounds like you are trying to justify the purchase to yourself. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
Prot is offline  
post #7 of 34 Old 06-04-2019, 03:15 AM
Kev M
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Medford, NJ
Posts: 2,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Also worth noting is most of the low tow rating of Wranglers has to do with the short wheel base. The two door is rated for 2000, the four door is 3,500, and the gladiator which is longer than a JKU is rated for 7,500.
It's probably just semantics on my part so I'll start with an apology. I'm sure wheelbase plays a part, but it's something more than that. Take for instance the fact that my wife's WK2 has almost the same wheelbase and overall length as my JKU (the GC is just a few inches longer and weighs more).

Both have the same V6 and both have OEM tow packages. But the tow rating is significantly higher on the WK2.

To the op, I would be tempted to say go for it if not for the legal implications of wantonly exceeding the tow rating. Should you have an accident it increases the danger of your liability.

That said, traditionally there are many vehicles who are mechanically identical but have higher tow ratings overseas. And you are talking specifically very low speed and limited distances in arguably private property.

I wonder if you couldn't find a loaner or rental and test it with a similar trailer/load to see if you're comfortable with the decision.

Did you mention how flat the property is? That could make a difference too. Edit-you said there are "hills" but how big?

Bottom line it's still "only" thousands of acres, not hundreds of miles we're talking here right.

Fwiw for many years we had a 16' bay boat whose single axle rig came very close to the tow rating on some of our vehicles used to tow it. The launch we used was a good hour away and though our XJ with a much higher rating towed it effortlessly there were times we used one or more Subarus who were effectively maxed out capacity wise and they did fine.

Of course none of them had the extremely short wheelbase of the JK and that does make a difference.

I guess I'm saying mechanically the drivetrain isn't the limiting factor (assuming factory or reasonable tires and at least the max tow package gearing of 3.73). Just make sure other factors like wheelbase, brakes, or liability isn't an issue to you. That said trailer brakes on boats can be a PIA and I'd love to avoid them on a smaller rig.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
Kev M is offline  
post #8 of 34 Old 06-04-2019, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
R3dRid3r
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: StL
Posts: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
It's probably just semantics on my part so I'll start with an apology. I'm sure wheelbase plays a part, but it's something more than that. Take for instance the fact that my wife's WK2 has almost the same wheelbase and overall length as my JKU (the GC is just a few inches longer and weighs more).

Both have the same V6 and both have OEM tow packages. But the tow rating is significantly higher on the WK2.

To the op, I would be tempted to say go for it if not for the legal implications of wantonly exceeding the tow rating. Should you have an accident it increases the danger of your liability.

That said, traditionally there are many vehicles who are mechanically identical but have higher tow ratings overseas. And you are talking specifically very low speed and limited distances in arguably private property.

I wonder if you couldn't find a loaner or rental and test it with a similar trailer/load to see if you're comfortable with the decision.

Did you mention how flat the property is? That could make a difference too. Edit-you said there are "hills" but how big?

Bottom line it's still "only" thousands of acres, not hundreds of miles we're talking here right.

Fwiw for many years we had a 16' bay boat whose single axle rig came very close to the tow rating on some of our vehicles used to tow it. The launch we used was a good hour away and though our XJ with a much higher rating towed it effortlessly there were times we used one or more Subarus who were effectively maxed out capacity wise and they did fine.

Of course none of them had the extremely short wheelbase of the JK and that does make a difference.

I guess I'm saying mechanically the drivetrain isn't the limiting factor (assuming factory or reasonable tires and at least the max tow package gearing of 3.73). Just make sure other factors like wheelbase, brakes, or liability isn't an issue to you. That said trailer brakes on boats can be a PIA and I'd love to avoid them on a smaller rig.
The hills are paved and some are a bit steep, but not terrible. The roads, the whole community is private. It is 'only' about 10,000 acres and gated. The speed limit is 23mph. I could drive at 10 mph all day long and not upset anyone. Speed is not an issue.

I want to use the Jeep for towing because I plan on leaving it there all the time to use 9x% to run around the community with the top and doors off and it'd be convenient to use it for towing, in addition.

How can I tell, if I buy used, that the JK is geared 3.73?

Thanks

"You'll Shoot Your Eye Out"
R3dRid3r is offline  
post #9 of 34 Old 06-04-2019, 02:59 PM
Kev M
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Medford, NJ
Posts: 2,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dRid3r View Post

How can I tell, if I buy used, that the JK is geared 3.73?
The easiest way is to obtain a copy of the build sheet/sticker which can be done with the VIN and a willing dealer or FCA csr.

If it has the "MAX Tow" package and/or Trac-lok rear you should be good to go. Though I'm pretty sure the build sheet will say it outright.

And as has been said, any late-model Rubi has at least that also.

The other way to tell would be to raise and support the rear, mark both the drive shaft and a tire, then rotate the tire 2 full turns and count how many times the driveshaft goes around. A hair more than 3 (would mean it's 3.21), and a hair shy of 4 (would mean 3.73).

Edit- I'm getting something wrong here. If it's 3.21 it will be an open diff and I believe you have to spin the tire 2 times to account for that.

But if it's a locking diff you might only spin in once. But of course if it locks then it's a 3.73.


Edit edit-here's a link that might help, basically says same thing but has other descriptions and useful links:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...3&share_type=t

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
Kev M is offline  
post #10 of 34 Old 06-05-2019, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
R3dRid3r
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: StL
Posts: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
The easiest way is to obtain a copy of the build sheet/sticker which can be done with the VIN and a willing dealer or FCA csr.

If it has the "MAX Tow" package and/or Trac-lok rear you should be good to go. Though I'm pretty sure the build sheet will say it outright.

And as has been said, any late-model Rubi has at least that also.

The other way to tell would be to raise and support the rear, mark both the drive shaft and a tire, then rotate the tire 2 full turns and count how many times the driveshaft goes around. A hair more than 3 (would mean it's 3.21), and a hair shy of 4 (would mean 3.73).

Edit- I'm getting something wrong here. If it's 3.21 it will be an open diff and I believe you have to spin the tire 2 times to account for that.

But if it's a locking diff you might only spin in once. But of course if it locks then it's a 3.73.


Edit edit-here's a link that might help, basically says same thing but has other descriptions and useful links:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...3&share_type=t
Thanks,

Could not get your link to work.

I plan on calling a used car dealer 1+ away from me for a VIN today. What will I do with the VIN once I have it?

Looking at a 2015 Sport with 33's and 104,000 miles on it, manual.

"You'll Shoot Your Eye Out"
R3dRid3r is offline  
post #11 of 34 Old 06-05-2019, 08:30 AM
RubiconFreedom
Registered User
 
RubiconFreedom's Avatar
2017 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: North Eastern
Posts: 402
Once the vin has been acquired, log this site to view what options the subject wrangler came equipped with:

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

Ideally, you're looking for what gears were installed while on the assembly line. viewing further down the sheet it could say, that the owner or dealership changed the build sheet as to include other options which changed the gearing. IE we special ordered a 2017 and it was listed with 3.21 but because we added an option package, the factory upgraded the gears to the 3.73.

However, the vin/build sheet will not say if there was a change in the gears once the owner acquire the wrangler. The only way to tell this is to have a mechanic run through protocol on finding out what gears have been installed.

Semi-Retired Sr. Mechanical Assembler & Sr. Quality Assurance Inspector for Aerospace Industry
RubiconFreedom is offline  
post #12 of 34 Old 06-05-2019, 08:45 AM
Kev M
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Medford, NJ
Posts: 2,899
Hmm, sorry new phone. Let me try that link again another way.

This work?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...3&share_type=t


How do I determine my axle gear ratio?


https://***************.com/threads/...gear-ratio.72/



I see the problem stupid f'n insecure website admin with rules blocking another forum's name is changing wording in the link to *****************


The link is:


https://wrangler tjeepforum.com/threads/how-do-i-determine-my-axle-gear-ratio.72/


If you copy it into a browser and delete the two spaces I put between the word "Wrangler" and the word "Tjeepforum.com" it should work.

So stupid.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
Kev M is offline  
post #13 of 34 Old 06-05-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
R3dRid3r
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: StL
Posts: 414
Thanks guys for the help.

Should I be worried about a 2015 JK Sport with 104k miles on it?

I'm still trying to get the VIN for it.

Anything I should look for if I gook look into buying it?

"You'll Shoot Your Eye Out"
R3dRid3r is offline  
post #14 of 34 Old 06-05-2019, 10:10 AM
RubiconFreedom
Registered User
 
RubiconFreedom's Avatar
2017 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: North Eastern
Posts: 402
There's one thing this forum has taught me, is that most here including myself will stress the correct gearing of your wrangler. So let's verify what gears you have on the 015. Second, the only issues one could run into on used wrangler is that there is a fine line between used and abused. Let's hope it's not the latter. 104K miles on 015 is a little over our limited if buying used. In fact, sorry to say our last wrangler was used/abuse and it was the last used wrangler we'll ever purchase. Back to some common issues, 1) crankshaft sensor 2) damaged or worn steering components 3) incorrect installed suspension system 4) failing catalytic converters but again this is our short list & others will add their own views to this.

Semi-Retired Sr. Mechanical Assembler & Sr. Quality Assurance Inspector for Aerospace Industry
RubiconFreedom is offline  
post #15 of 34 Old 06-10-2019, 09:06 PM
BlueBabySound
Registered User
2018 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Glenpool
Posts: 337
FWIW 2016/2017/2018 JKs are 3500 pounds for the 2 door and 4 door for 3.73 or 4.10 gears
Kev M likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BlueBabySound is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome