It took 8 years to notice....... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-13-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
SteveBad

2011 JK Wrangler 

It took 8 years to notice.......

I have an '11 2-door JK since new. Within a month of buying it, I installed full-fabric doors, and am still happy with them.

Just went into the dark garage tonite to get something from the glove box, and noticed that BEFORE I OPENED THE DOOR,the icons on all the heater control knobs are lit. (The Jeep had been sitting unused for 2 days)

I thought, well, the fabric doors are not magnetic enough to close the "door open" switch, but then, I thought, the dome light is not on, so that can't be it.

Apparently it won't kill the battery, since the last two batteries have lasted their full 4-year life each.

Very strange.........

" Leave the gun .... take the cannolis. "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-13-2019, 06:40 PM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Is the "door open" switch something you installed as part of the fabric door installation?

2008 JKU Rubicon
42RLE Auto
post #3 of 9 Old 12-13-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
SteveBad

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
Is the "door open" switch something you installed as part of the fabric door installation?
No, but the lack of a mechanical button leads me to believe that there is a magnetic switch somewhere in the door circuit. And the dome light will NEVER come on unless I switch it on from the stalk or use the overhead switch.

post #4 of 9 Old 12-13-2019, 07:04 PM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Does the stock wire harness connect to the fabric door?

On the original metal doors, the switch is located in the latch mechanism. As far as I know, it's not a magnetic switch.

2008 JKU Rubicon
42RLE Auto
post #5 of 9 Old 12-13-2019, 07:26 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

It's not magnetic, it's mechanical and part of the hard doors latches.
When you unplug the hard door wiring harness, it disables all functions normally associated with a door opening and closing. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to run doorless.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #6 of 9 Old 12-14-2019, 08:08 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
i have had soft doors on the 12 forever and never had the lights go on anything. sounds more like TIPM issue? If those lights are still on try a battery disconnect. This tends to reset glitches.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-15-2019, 05:07 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBad View Post
, I thought, the dome light is not on, so that can't be it.

Apparently it won't kill the battery, since the last two batteries have lasted their full 4-year life each.

Very strange.........

Typically the dome lights have a timeout, but I would expect the dash lights to go off with them.

If it is JUST the couple of LED dash lights, the power consumption will be very low and that in itself may not cause any real world issues, but I would try the battery disconnect approach as mentioned by another poster. These electronic power management systems can do some odd things and can be unpleasantly expensive to replace. However resetting may be all that's needed.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #8 of 9 Old 12-15-2019, 11:51 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
No the TIPM/CanBus is total POS>. Depends on what direction our heep goes but. If it ever goes down swap lane, im going old school on it on everything with a stand alone engine management. or ill dump it and get a buggy. the latter is highly more likely.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #9 of 9 Old 01-05-2020, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
SteveBad

2011 JK Wrangler 

Since I hate when folks with a problem don't post a resolution, I will let y'all know what happened here..............

Apparently, the "tick" mark icons on the HVAC control knobs are made of the same "glow in the dark" material as a kid's plastic toy !

What appears to have been happening is that, through a quirk of geometry, the garage door exterior light shines DIRECTLY on just the knobs causing them to glow brightly. Hence the reason for my original post. DOH ! Who knew ! It took eight years to notice !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in