Tie Rod/Drag link/ ball joint - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-01-2020, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
outnumbered3
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Tie Rod/Drag link/ ball joint

So I was just told I need to replace all above. Can I replace one at a time so it’s not so expensive and which should I start with? I have death wobble at 30mph and goes away when I slow down.
I would rather do one at a time and buy the best there is.
I have 2012 jkur 4.5 terra flex lift with 37’s.
What are the best ones?
My research right now points me to teraflex ball joints and metal cloak tie rod and drag link. I would love some direction and input on what to do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-03-2020, 09:51 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

My guess is you will probably need to replace all of those at the same time.

Do a dry steer test first to see if the track bar is moving. If it is, start there. Make sure there is no up and down motion with the tie rod and drag link. Rotational motion is ok.

With 37's, your ball joints are probably shot but check them. Jack up the tire, use a lever and check for up and down movement. There shouldn't be any.

The MC stuff should be good stuff, I wouldn't have an issue buying those. As to ball joints, I highly recommend the Dynatrac's. Yes, they are expensive but they are really heavy duty and rebuildable in the Jeep, which will save you money in the long run.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #3 of 6 Old 06-03-2020, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
outnumbered3
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for getting back to me I was starting to think no one was going to. Is there a different forums that people use for JKU. I always used this one when I had my TJ and people always responded.
I was looking at the steer smart stuff yesterday. I don’t really like the color of metal cloak. I was looking at the tera flex ball joints. I really only want to replace things once if I can.
And would love to do it in stages. I also was thinking of starting with the upgraded track bar.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-03-2020, 12:56 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

This is the right place for both JK/JKU technical info.

I know you would love to do this in stages but with DW, you almost never can. Have you actually checked all the parts for problems or are you taking the word of a shop? Everything on the front end can be checked with the assistance of another person. Pretty much all that person has to do is turn the wheel.

I just went thru this with my JK on 37's. I had to replace everything except the drag link and tie rod and that was only because I had upgraded those earlier in the year. Track bar bushings were shot, the axle side track bar mounting hole was ovaled out, the ball joints were shot, the stabilizer was shot (well, that had help from a rock) and both tires were out of balance badly.

I would think about going with an aluminum tie rod and drag link setup if you plan on wheeling it. Fusion 4x4 makes a heck of a setup out of 7075 aluminum, the tie rod is 1 3/4" diameter with rebuildable Rare Parts 1 1/4" ends. The average 1 ton ends that everyone else sells is 3/4" ends and those will break. The Fusion setup is not a lot more than the good Metal Cloak or Steersmarts setups either. 7075 aluminum will flex and return to straight where chromoly or other steel tie rods will bend and stay bent.

On 37's, replacing things once is a pipe dream, this setup is definitely a pay to play situation. Those tires will wear everything, so think ahead and get as many replacement parts that you can rebuild instead of replacing. Buy the Fusion 4x4 stuff and the Dynatrac ball joints. with a JK on 37's, it's "buy once, cry once".

06 KJ
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #5 of 6 Old 06-03-2020, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
outnumbered3
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So I talked with Dan from fusion 4x4 what an awesome guy. He told me to start with a tire balance and alignment. Then he suggested I up grade trac bar (metal cloak) then a good set of ball joints (rare parts or dynatrac). Then I can do the tie rod and drag link. I think I will eventually just buy his stuff that way I never have to replace it.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-04-2020, 10:35 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

That's excellent advice. And one of the reasons I bought from Dan and not some other company that has similar products.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend the Rare Parts load sharing ball joints. I believe they are a solution looking for a problem. I have personally seen too many people have issues with them after install and the Rare Parts lifetime warranty on them is BS.

I have no issues with Rare Parts tie rod ends, those have been solid performers. I trust Dynatrac, they have been around for a long time and are also solid performers in the off road world.

06 KJ
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in