Subwoofer in a JK - Page 4 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 74 Old 03-27-2010, 11:01 PM
TheShift

2010 JK Wrangler 

Took some pictures of my setup..

Went with the JVC head... mostly because the colors in the display are exactly the same as in the dash...red and grey... it looks almost stock

12''Memphis Subs sealed with amp.. mounted the amp on the box,for ease of pulling it out

I plan on replacing the rest of them eventually.. with Memphis
But atm the stocks have not blown..and to my surprise it balances out really well...

I did manage to find out that for the 10's there is no radio antenna for the aftermarket stuff...they gave me one for the 09...but it did not work.. found out that there is one that will work..from a VW...but figured id just wait for the radio...not really my thing.. i would imagine one will be out soon...if not already..i installed this almost 2 months ago

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 74 Old 03-28-2010, 08:52 AM
IICON
2007 JK Wrangler 

Will installing the adaptor replace the need to use a Line Level Converter?
post #48 of 74 Old 03-28-2010, 09:20 AM
TheShift

2010 JK Wrangler 

If you mean the antenna as 'the adapter'
im not sure if that will replace it..i figure its just to get the radio to adapt to the antenna
/shrugz

i am not using a line converter... the stock stuff is wired to the head..200w
[with that i pulled all the bass off the stock stuff/its all highs getting the watts]
figured if i threw the stock speakers on the amp...i might as well count them out...

most likely have to get the rest of the Memphis stuff....sooner

post #49 of 74 Old 03-28-2010, 07:59 PM
miked2905
2009 JK Wrangler 

Does anyone have the wiring colors to wire the line converter? I had them a long time ago, but I need them again. any help?

'09 JK- 3.25", 35s, 5.13s, trussed/sleeved d30 ARB
'88 Grand Wagoneer - 6", 33s, 5.3L/4l60e/241C
post #50 of 74 Old 03-28-2010, 08:19 PM
RIP John

2012 JK Wrangler 

I donít quite understand why some need a killer sound system in a Jeep. What is wrong with the factory set-up? Are the ones who do these mods just mall crawlers? Iím not cutting anyone down, just curious. I applaud those of you that have the know how to work on killer sound systems.

I understand the fact that the factory sub is mounted in the most ridiculous spot ever. In fact, I just took mine out completely. For me, there wasnít any difference in sound quality and I donít miss it.

In regards to those that mount theirs on the tailgate, arenít you afraid that while taking-off that if you have something lose in the rear cargo area that it could slam into the sub and wreck it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2011-2016)
post #51 of 74 Old 03-28-2010, 09:02 PM
TheShift

2010 JK Wrangler 

Well... i got my wrangler stripped down...no power windows no power locks... standard stereo ... the head unit on the stereo was like 40 watts... lulz that thing sucked bawlz.. i went into the standard set up because i knew what i wanted to put in...

Not a mall Crawler... although i wont beat on this thing till after the warranty... it will be beat on..

I have 4 other vehicles...2 cargo vans 2 suv's ... i don't need the trunk space for jack *****... i have many other vehicles to choose from for loading or hauling stuff...

Besides i consider myself a well rounded music enthusiast....its all about the tunes

was gonna take some more pics today... but the day slipped away... looks somewhat diff than my profile pics
post #52 of 74 Old 03-28-2010, 11:45 PM
miked2905
2009 JK Wrangler 

Anyone looking to wire a line converter, it is pretty easy. Just make sure you tune it so it sounds best.
Here is the wiring you will need for the line output converter from best buy.
Gray/L.Green - White
Gray/D.Gray - White/Black
D.Gray/L.Green - Gray
D.Gray/Gray - Gray/Black
*Don't use the 2 brown wires.
You can tune it with the two small holes in the back, use a mini screwdriver.

I did the tailgate sub, sounds good, nice mod.

'09 JK- 3.25", 35s, 5.13s, trussed/sleeved d30 ARB
'88 Grand Wagoneer - 6", 33s, 5.3L/4l60e/241C
post #53 of 74 Old 03-29-2010, 09:21 AM
wTheOnew
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
I donít quite understand why some need a killer sound system in a Jeep. What is wrong with the factory set-up? Are the ones who do these mods just mall crawlers? Iím not cutting anyone down, just curious. I applaud those of you that have the know how to work on killer sound systems.

I understand the fact that the factory sub is mounted in the most ridiculous spot ever. In fact, I just took mine out completely. For me, there wasnít any difference in sound quality and I donít miss it.

In regards to those that mount theirs on the tailgate, arenít you afraid that while taking-off that if you have something lose in the rear cargo area that it could slam into the sub and wreck it?

I have the Rockford on the tailgate like a bunch of others and I beat up on the Jeep off-road almost every month. I just enjoy music almost as much as I enjoy driving my Jeep so why not make both as good as possible and then combine them?

Rockford makes a nifty grill for their subs for anyone worried about stuff hitting the sub. I personally just put stuff left and right of it packed really well, but I have a 2 door so I never expected to put anything back there anyway.

post #54 of 74 Old 03-29-2010, 01:43 PM
ctgretzky99

2011 JK Wrangler 

Great ideas on the subs, guys, thank you! I was thinking where to put a nice sub, the tailgate makes the most sense to me.

I do put some stuff in the back like my hockey bag and small coolers, so Ill have to get one with some kind of woofer grill.

Uuughh...I already have 100 hobbies. Why did I buy a Jeep?

My social media marketing company:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Come on by, and "like" us!
post #55 of 74 Old 03-30-2010, 03:45 PM
cshane1970

2013 JK Wrangler 

Love to listen to music while cruising. I also bought a JK Sport cause I rather spend extra money on things I like on them and not factory upgraded systems which in a sport is not the best sounding for sure.

I love this deck. Has everything you could ever ask for plus alot I will never use.

post #56 of 74 Old 08-08-2010, 06:10 PM
QElliott17
2010 JK Wrangler 

Is it necessary to run anything extra to power the an aftermarket amp?

-2010 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, Red
post #57 of 74 Old 08-08-2010, 08:21 PM
TheLiveSoundGuy
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked2905 View Post
Anyone looking to wire a line converter, it is pretty easy. Just make sure you tune it so it sounds best.
Here is the wiring you will need for the line output converter from best buy.
Gray/L.Green - White
Gray/D.Gray - White/Black
D.Gray/L.Green - Gray
D.Gray/Gray - Gray/Black
*Don't use the 2 brown wires.
You can tune it with the two small holes in the back, use a mini screwdriver.

I did the tailgate sub, sounds good, nice mod.
How did you attach the box to the gate? It looks good.
post #58 of 74 Old 08-08-2010, 10:06 PM
TheShift

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QElliott17 View Post
Is it necessary to run anything extra to power the an aftermarket amp?

No.. unless you have a hundred other things.. lights cb winch compressors.. on and on...

But if you just have the amp... a good 4 gauge[minimum] wire to the battery..
and i grounded it threw one of the bolts holding the rear seat in
post #59 of 74 Old 08-09-2010, 12:45 AM
CHIPMAKER
2010 JK Wrangler 

Newbie question, (don't even have a Jeep yet)... on my Chevy there was a $100 harness needed to go from factory to aftermarket head unit, it was for the stupid Onstar. I will be getting the cheapest radio in the Sport. Is there anything out of the ordinary to swap out head units? Any expensive harness or custom face plates? On every new vehicle I swap in a aftermarket HU first thing. I will most likely run the highs off the deck and amp a sub like the Fosgate tailgate sub. I will wheel it, but I like my tunes on flash drives and love hands free bluetooth for commuting. Just installed a Pioneer AVH-3200BT in this beast...
post #60 of 74 Old 08-09-2010, 01:08 AM
RIP John

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIPMAKER View Post
Thatís one butt ugly Jeep you got there.

(2011-2016)

Tags
aftermarket , JK Wrangler , sound system , sub inclosure , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in