Subwoofer in a JK - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 74 Old 08-20-2009, 10:50 PM
tavoo
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGEN View Post
line converter.. just goto a local audio store... they will hook you right up.
I heard from a rockford dealer that you can connect the stock subwoofer speaker wire directly to the RCA input (of coarse using an RCA to speaker adapter) and that Rockford amps have a converter built in.
Anyone else heard of this? How else did everyone hook up their amp to the stock radio?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 Old 11-28-2009, 12:31 AM
Seanie

2007 JK Wrangler 

I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I absolutely love how this sub looks installed. I hate messy wires everywhere (my 95 wrangler was a complete MESS when I first got it... I pretty much rewired the sound system). I like it when things look stock, but sound great. Hidden is always the way to go.

Quick question on the amp install. You mentioned that it's a good 2 to 3 inches off the ground. Did you have to remove the seat to do this stuff? I've got a lot of electrical know-how, but I'm useless when it comes to removing the seats or anything with metal.

Don't drink the water, there's blood in the water... DMB
post #33 of 74 Old 11-28-2009, 12:51 AM
Seanie

2007 JK Wrangler 

Also, in the following pic, I noticed something different about my 07. I have a long, thing black bar that runs across the tailgate. Anyone know what it is?

EDIT: Never mind. It's on yours too. Forgot it was on the top, not the bottom.

I still want to know what it is, though.

Last edited by Seanie; 11-28-2009 at 01:01 AM.

post #34 of 74 Old 11-30-2009, 10:01 AM
JkRyder
2008 JK Wrangler 

pretty sure it just covers wires and what not inside your gate
post #35 of 74 Old 11-30-2009, 04:09 PM
wTheOnew
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JkRyder View Post
pretty sure it just covers wires and what not inside your gate
yep, I have my speaker wire and CB antenna cable running though it. If you mount the sub on the tailgate you'll have to remove the plastic cover but then the sub covers it more or less like stock.

I took my seat out to mount the amp up into it. It's just 4 bolts and one wiring harness. Very simple. You can only see about 1/4" of it below the rails of the seat, so thieves would pretty much have to know about it before hand to be able to even try to steal it. I'm not even sure they would be able to get enough leverage on it to rip it out. Be careful removing the seat though, there is a tag on it that says that you'll need to take it into the dealer to reset the passenger airbag sensor. Oddly enough, when I took it in they said everything was already set up correctly...

I've had the sub in for about 5 months now and I don't regret any part of the project.

Georgia Institute
of
Technology
. .
post #36 of 74 Old 11-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Seanie

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wTheOnew View Post
yep, I have my speaker wire and CB antenna cable running though it. If you mount the sub on the tailgate you'll have to remove the plastic cover but then the sub covers it more or less like stock.

I took my seat out to mount the amp up into it. It's just 4 bolts and one wiring harness. Very simple. You can only see about 1/4" of it below the rails of the seat, so thieves would pretty much have to know about it before hand to be able to even try to steal it. I'm not even sure they would be able to get enough leverage on it to rip it out. Be careful removing the seat though, there is a tag on it that says that you'll need to take it into the dealer to reset the passenger airbag sensor. Oddly enough, when I took it in they said everything was already set up correctly...

I've had the sub in for about 5 months now and I don't regret any part of the project.
Sweet deal. The foam part.. is that already in the tailgate or did you have to put it in there?

post #37 of 74 Old 11-30-2009, 04:18 PM
wTheOnew
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellanaesp View Post
Sweet deal. The foam part.. is that already in the tailgate or did you have to put it in there?
The foam that Yeti mentioned was placed between the brackets and tailgate. I used Dynomat since I had some lying around.

Or are you talking about the foam over the hole that is left from removing the plastic piece? I didn't add this because the sub covers the hole almost completely.

Either way the foam in all the pictures is something we added.

Georgia Institute
of
Technology
. .
post #38 of 74 Old 11-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Seanie

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wTheOnew View Post
The foam that Yeti mentioned was placed between the brackets and tailgate. I used Dynomat since I had some lying around.

Or are you talking about the foam over the hole that is left from removing the plastic piece? I didn't add this because the sub covers the hole almost completely.

Either way the foam in all the pictures is something we added.
Oh, ok. I just noticed it looked like there's foam inside the tailgate in one of your pics.

I'm probably going to rig this exact same sub in mine. I found somewhere that I can get it for under 200. Best Buy wants 300 at the store for it.

post #39 of 74 Old 11-30-2009, 06:52 PM
wTheOnew
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellanaesp View Post
Oh, ok. I just noticed it looked like there's foam inside the tailgate in one of your pics.

I'm probably going to rig this exact same sub in mine. I found somewhere that I can get it for under 200. Best Buy wants 300 at the store for it.
My only advice is that you make sure you're buying a new sub and that you break it in properly. Never know how used/refurbs have been treated... I got mine new for ~200 shipped, so you might actually be looking at the same place.

Oh, and make sure you have a decent drill to drill pilot holes into the tailgate. Thin/flimsy sheet metal my ***...

Georgia Institute
of
Technology
. .
post #40 of 74 Old 03-24-2010, 04:29 PM
tavoo
2009 JK Wrangler 

Just finished hooking everything up. I mounted the same exact sub to the door..
I have the wires that was going into the stock hooked up to THIS. I wanted to keep my stock MyGIG unit.

I have a RockfordF P400-2 amp that handles high inputs from that RCA connection. All the settings are on low on the amp until I break in the woofer but it already rocks.
post #41 of 74 Old 03-24-2010, 05:02 PM
yoyo6999
2009 JK Wrangler 

nice setup guys im jealous
post #42 of 74 Old 03-24-2010, 05:12 PM
JkRyder
2008 JK Wrangler 

Does any one else's tailgate ratttle?
post #43 of 74 Old 03-24-2010, 08:09 PM
TheShift

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JkRyder View Post
Does any one else's tailgate ratttle?

Oh Yeah....

Actually i think my most noise comes from the vent in the door..
But when i am beating it down... the surroundings quake

ill have to take some pics and post tomorrow... to wore out atm
post #44 of 74 Old 03-24-2010, 10:01 PM
ribs

2007 JK Wrangler 

Wow looks really good, nice work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousdoa View Post
we had a peep hole looking into the girls jeep forum, but someone used it as a glory hole so they patched it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGrant View Post
...And no the truck dont give BJs but guess you are not married as wifes dont give them either. :rolleyes:
post #45 of 74 Old 03-25-2010, 07:41 AM
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavoo View Post
Just finished hooking everything up. I mounted the same exact sub to the door..
I have the wires that was going into the stock hooked up to THIS. I wanted to keep my stock MyGIG unit.

I have a RockfordF P400-2 amp that handles high inputs from that RCA connection. All the settings are on low on the amp until I break in the woofer but it already rocks.
More details please. Did you run the JL Adapter to the sub directly, to the amp? I'm clueless on these things unless someone fills me in with parts and directions. lol Thanks.

AEV: Hood, Skidplate & Bumper, jackstand and Badging Expedition One Rear Bumper,RE 4.5" Long Arm Kit,5.13s, Black Riddler Diff Covers, Hypertech Airaid CAI, PIAA 540s w/flush mounted switch, Flowmaster 40, 325/60/22 BFGs and the list goes on...

Tags
aftermarket , JK Wrangler , sound system , sub inclosure , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in