3Likes
  • 1 Post By F33rNoFish
  • 1 Post By JoonHoss
  • 1 Post By JoonHoss

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-12-2018, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Randglerjk

Sub woofers?

Im wanting to transfer my two kicker sub setup in a box with the amp and capacitor over into the jeep. For those of you who have a sub setup can you tell me what you ended up doing in terms of the radio and battery?

Im hoping i can keep my stock radio or find a newer jeep oem radio for sale with bluetooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-12-2018, 04:47 PM
F33rNoFish

I ended up swapping everything out to new.

I got a dual din JVC head unit which Iím not happy with. 5 channel Pioneer amp which Iím also not happy with.

Up front I got C2 JL Audio components and rear C2 JL Audio coaxials. Sub I went with an 8Ē JL Audio to replace the factory 8Ē. I packed poly fill in all speaker areas and got all necessary battery/amp cabling.

The highs arenít as crisp as I would like and I hear thatís due to the amp but I havenít really invested time in fixing it as the system sounds WAY better than stock.

Iíll have to get the head unit and amp model numbers a little later but the Bluetooth mic and itís connectivity sucks.

The amp, well, if the highs not being as crisp as Iíd like is due to that then Iíd stay away from the Pioneer models.

Randglerjk likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-13-2018, 09:14 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

After a lot of exhaustive research, I ended up replacing the HU before installing my subs.

The stock unit is marginal at best. Many report the stock HU does not send out a full spectrum of sound (bass), and has no provisions for adding subs other than line level.

I went with a single din Kenwood HU, and added the controller to keep the steering wheel controls and BT. The difference is night and day.

Spend the money on a decent HU, with built in x-overs and a 5V min preamp output.

I run all my stock speakers x-d over and off deck power. I can't believe they are the stock speakers, and are as loud as I ever will need. 2 10's out back that I have x'd over by the HU pre-amp, and I keep the gain to them down as well, yet still have a rich/ full sound

Hoss
Randglerjk likes this.

If you had to choose between World Peace and a Jeep, what size tires would you run?

post #4 of 8 Old 11-13-2018, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Randglerjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
After a lot of exhaustive research, I ended up replacing the HU before installing my subs.

The stock unit is marginal at best. Many report the stock HU does not send out a full spectrum of sound (bass), and has no provisions for adding subs other than line level.

I went with a single din Kenwood HU, and added the controller to keep the steering wheel controls and BT. The difference is night and day.

Spend the money on a decent HU, with built in x-overs and a 5V min preamp output.

I run all my stock speakers x-d over and off deck power. I can't believe they are the stock speakers, and are as loud as I ever will need. 2 10's out back that I have x'd over by the HU pre-amp, and I keep the gain to them down as well, yet still have a rich/ full sound

Hoss

Nice thanks, Which unit did you use?

post #5 of 8 Old 11-13-2018, 09:59 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

KDC-X700. It's not nearly top of the line, but the cost (179) was reasonable, especially for the features.

(Crutchfield is a great place to buy, or at least compare)

I'm an old school (ok, just old) audiophile... it used to be that you needed an an expensive HU, an external cross-over, an external EQ, a pre-amp voltage increase, and separate amps the size of sofa cushions along with a line levels adjuster just to eek out a decent sound experience.

Nowadays, that's all (almost) built into the HU, and works incredibly well. It's less than $100 difference from a decent HU to one that has most all those features built-in. You do not need exotic, just good.

Heck, mine even has an infinity adjustable color spectrum, and I was able to match the dash lights perfectly. It's removable face plate adds security in the summer, overall (again) very happy w/ the upgrade)

Hoss

If you had to choose between World Peace and a Jeep, what size tires would you run?
post #6 of 8 Old 11-13-2018, 11:26 AM
F33rNoFish

So my HU is the: JVC KW-V330BT

Remember - JVC makes Kenwood which is why I decided to go JVC instead of Kenwood. Figured itíd be the same quality, but I think I was wrong. I havenít had a Kenwood in a long time, probably prior to JVC owning them, but I remember their quality back then.

And my amp is the: Pioneer GM-D9605 GM Digital Series Class D Amp (5-Channel Bridgeable, 2,000W Max)

post #7 of 8 Old 11-13-2018, 11:47 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Small clarification; JVC/Kenwood merged in 2008, jvc does not own/ make kenwood

I have nothing against JVC products, but I would do a full side-by-side comparison before purchasing; and Crutchfield has a great website for doing just that.

It may seem small, but little things like total harmonic distortion, rms power vs actual, pre-amp out voltage, signal strength, etc all make a difference.

Hoss
F33rNoFish likes this.

post #8 of 8 Old 11-13-2018, 11:57 AM
F33rNoFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
Small clarification; JVC/Kenwood merged in 2008, jvc does not own/ make kenwood

I have nothing against JVC products, but I would do a full side-by-side comparison before purchasing; and Crutchfield has a great website for doing just that.

It may seem small, but little things like total harmonic distortion, rms power vs actual, pre-amp out voltage, signal strength, etc all make a difference.

Hoss

Ah gotcha. Thx for clarifying. Thought I read somewhere they were acquired.

I did do the Crutchfield comparison which led me to the JVC.

Honestly, itís not all that bad. Just has a few quirks that annoy me. However, Iíve always had bad experiences with JVC electronics (specifically camcorders) and knew better but since I had the understanding of the companies creating the same products I figured...Eh, what the heck. Nope! Haha

Again, the acoustics I have now are FAR exceeding stock so Iím not 100% unhappy. BUT I would likely choose a different HU and amp if I were to start over again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in